Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: calling all food experts!! :- )

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Default calling all food experts!! :- )

Hi everyone.. long story short we switched Duke from DVP duck and potatoe to Nature's Variety Instinct Beef and sometimes we give duck about two years ago. he has done fabulous .. he can't have chicken and also has allergies to wool

in the past few months he has gotten bouts of the runs here and there... again last week for two days.. nothing is wrong ( took him to vet ) went on bland diet and he is ok

in any case the vet thinks maybe we should switch his food!! ???? OMG now those of you who went through this with me will understand my panic??

it took me forever to find a food that he did so well with.. his coat is great and he is very healthy but do you think I should try something else with him getting older.. he is 5 now..

calling all food experts!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: calling all food experts!! :- )

Hi Karen--first I am not an expert but I will chime in. Does the vet think he is allergic to a protein in NVI? What does he think is the problem?

Do you give or have you considered a probiotic? I started Lucy on one back in December and I feel it helps her digestion. If you want to know the brand message me. I don't think we can attach links to the site but it is easy--a small scoop at each meal does the trick.

NVI is great food. I switched Lucy to a dehydrated raw food last december. She is doing great on a food called ziwi peak. It is pricy, but I had her to the vet one time this year and it was minor and NOT allergy related. I feel like she is the healthiest and looks the best she ever has.

I am sure other will post more helpful suggestions but I wanted you to consider a probiotic and consider Ziwipeak if you are switching foods altogether. Keep us posted on Duke!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Well..I am NO expert here Karen, but I don't understand changing for maybe just a few bouts of runs. I know they are a pain..but could be many reasons besides food. If it were me..I would keep him on bland diet for a week or so and continue with NVI. Maybe try a different protein? Jake can't have chicken and we stay away fom all fowl. Just n case. It seems to me, if it were his food, it wouldn't be random. It would escalate and be constant! But..like I said, I am NO expert!

@cowsmom

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

In my opinion if it's only bouts of the runs here and there it must be something else than what he gets daily....are you sure there's nothing else that he eats, chews or gets in contact when he get those runs???

Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LucysMum View Post
    Hi Karen--first I am not an expert but I will chime in. Does the vet think he is allergic to a protein in NVI? What does he think is the problem?

Do you give or have you considered a probiotic? I started Lucy on one back in December and I feel it helps her digestion. If you want to know the brand message me. I don't think we can attach links to the site but it is easy--a small scoop at each meal does the trick.

NVI is great food. I switched Lucy to a dehydrated raw food last december. She is doing great on a food called ziwi peak. It is pricy, but I had her to the vet one time this year and it was minor and NOT allergy related. I feel like she is the healthiest and looks the best she ever has.

I am sure other will post more helpful suggestions but I wanted you to consider a probiotic and consider Ziwipeak if you are switching foods altogether. Keep us posted on Duke!
    yes please send that to me.. the vet thinks maybe its too rich but he has been eating it for two years??

thank you !

Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    In my opinion if it's only bouts of the runs here and there it must be something else than what he gets daily....are you sure there's nothing else that he eats, chews or gets in contact when he get those runs???

we watch him like a hawk so I know he hasn't gotten in to anything but the one thing he does do is licks the kitchen floor all the time!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Well..I am NO expert here Karen, but I don't understand changing for maybe just a few bouts of runs. I know they are a pain..but could be many reasons besides food. If it were me..I would keep him on bland diet for a week or so and continue with NVI. Maybe try a different protein? Jake can't have chicken and we stay away fom all fowl. Just n case. It seems to me, if it were his food, it wouldn't be random. It would escalate and be constant! But..like I said, I am NO expert!

@cowsmom
    my husband thinks the same as you!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyDuke View Post
    yes please send that to me.. the vet thinks maybe its too rich but he has been eating it for two years??

thank you !
    Check your inbox!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyDuke View Post
    my husband thinks the same as you!

Is this a good thing????

Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Is this a good thing????

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Im with Becky I would not be changing food over a few bouts of loose stool. He could have ate a bug or maybe allergies are worse that day. You can do bland diet or add some pumpkin to his food to get him back on track. Yes I give Sarah s probiotic also.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmom View Post
    Im with Becky I would not be changing food over a few bouts of loose stool. He could have ate a bug or maybe allergies are worse that day. You can do bland diet or add some pumpkin to his food to get him back on track. Yes I give Sarah s probiotic also.

ok I am sold.. I am going to keep on the same food and add the probiotic! thanks everyone!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads