Help Needed! Spay for older bully

KT221

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Muffin (nickname: "pig", "my baked good")
Hi all,

I was hoping to get your opinions on the risks v. benefits of getting Miss Muffin spayed, especially considering she's an older dog (probably 3-4).

I suspect the reprehensible person I rescued Miss Muffin from initially got her solely to breed, so she's intact. I'm concerned about the risks of the spaying surgery itself. I have heard there can be complications with intubating bulldogs. I'm also worried about how invasive the surgery is, especially considering bulldogs' general fragile health. I've always spayed/neutered my past babies, but none of them were bulldogs and I always did it when they were younger.

The vet explained that there are two benefits to getting her spayed at this point: 1. Prevent unwanted pregnancy and 2. reduce her chances of getting uterine cancer. There's an extremely low risk of Miss Muffin getting pregnant, but I certainly don't want her to get uterine cancer. But, I also don't want to put her through a surgery where the risks may outweigh the benefits.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and expertise! Thank you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree with your vet. She is actually still young in my book, and if you have a trustworthy vet then it's a simple surgery. You may consider taking this time to get another procedure done like teeth cleaning, it may not cost too much more since she will already be under. Then you won't need to do that again for many years to come.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

My opinion is also to consider spay. Make sure your VET is a Bulldog vet, not just a GP vet. There are links here on EBN of vet recommendations.

The surgery is very safe, but all surgeries have risk. The quality of life will be better, no unwanted pregnancies...(haha as if Bullies can actually do IT?), and no more mess from heat cycles. And zero risk of any repro issues later on in life.

Good Day~

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree as well with above suggestions. I spayed my female Blossom, at 7 months old, because I knew I wasn't breeding her, I have her brother, so if she had gone into heat, we would have had to separate them, and to avoid the mess that comes with the heats. My vet also told me if she had gone into heat, then you have to wait 3 months before you can spay her. By spaying her you will get a much Bette pet, no messes, and you will significantly reduce her risk of cancer.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I agree, she is still young and has many years of life ahead of her so getting her spayed now is a good idea.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Definitely spay her, she is still young yet. Just make sure your vet has done bullies before. Everyone has told you the benefit of spaying, there is also another benefit of them not getting Pyometra, a uterine infection that can be deadly and will require an emergency spay of the female. So it is better to do it know when she is fairly young.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.