General Question Rimadyl question

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Herman was limping when I took him to the park on Sunday. Because he would stop and lay down I tried to carry him home (disaster carrying a 52 pound dog) it took us forever to get home. I have seen him limp before after playing and figured it would just go away. I tried to keep him from jumping and get some rest, but you know how that goes.

But by Wednesday I was a wreck and took him to the vet because he was still limping. He said that his shoulder felt a little tight, so he gave him an injection of some anti-inflammatory and gave me Rimadyl. He said if he gets better in 3 days, then it was just a sprain and it would heal. Of course I got paranoid because he said if there was no improvement he wanted me to bring him back in for xrays just in case.

Herman seems to be doing better and by Thursday afternoon he was all over the place being so playful - I hadnt even noticed he was less playful the days before until I saw him on Thursday doing his flying leaps across the room.

But what I'm noticing is that whenever I give him the Rimadyl, he goes to sleep?? I give half a tablet 2x per day. But I'm not sure if this is making him sleepy drowsy. Is that normal? It could be just a coincidence because I give it to him after breakfast and dinner - and usually right after he eats he gets this big burst of energy. So I'm just wondering??

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
it always has made my dogs sleepy if they have had to take it ... they had me give it to my first bulldog to get her to rest because she had hurt her leg.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think it does make them sleepy, not 100% sure tho. So glad it is helping Herman but try to keep him from jumping around. You may need to crate him more just to be sure. I know, it's impossible!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Thanks [MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] He doesnt seem to be limping and the prescription says for 14 days. I'm not sure i will keep giving that to him that long. Today will be 5 days of him feeling better so if hes not limping, I'm going to stop and try to keep him calm for the 3 hours that he is awake LOL

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Sorry! I am late to this! Sadly, I am the Rimadyl Queen! We had a Dobie and a Rottie that were both on it for years. I never noticed it making either of them sleepy. But Bully's are sleepy by nature!

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Sorry! I am late to this! Sadly, I am the Rimadyl Queen! We had a Dobie and a Rottie that were both on it for years. I never noticed it making either of them sleepy. But Bully's are sleepy by nature!

Thanks - I gave him half tablet this morning today and I noticed he didnt get sleepy (of course he's sleeping now). So it might all be coincidence. :blink:

Do you think it's ok to stop giving them to him if he seems to be walking better? Its so difficult to tell with him since 90% of the time he's either standing or jumping LOL I rarely see him walk.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks - I gave him half tablet this morning today and I noticed he didnt get sleepy (of course he's sleeping now). So it might all be coincidence. :blink:

Do you think it's ok to stop giving them to him if he seems to be walking better? Its so difficult to tell with him since 90% of the time he's either standing or jumping LOL I rarely see him walk.

If he isn't limping and showing no signs of pain, no reason to give the Rimadyl. It stays in their systems about 12 hours..so you will know!

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
If he isn't limping and showing no signs of pain, no reason to give the Rimadyl. It stays in their systems about 12 hours..so you will know!

Thanks for the info :) I will watch him again tonight to make sure.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
We give our baby rymadol 3 times a day. And it makes him sleepy.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah has taken rimadyl but dont remember if she got sleepy or not. if he has been good for 5 days i see no reason to keep on with it. i stopped sarahs early as she got better to.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.