Help Needed! Ears

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Dexters ears are bothering him again. He's shaking his head and running around kinda crazy too. He had an ear yeast infection sometime last year and I guess it never cleared up. My vet told me it was ok to put the tip of the qtip in his ear, because with a bulldog their ear canals are 90 degrees and I couldn't really hurt anything. Well when I cleaned his ears today (just getting the gunk out) and I put a clean q tip in his ear and it came out wet looking and maybe tinted yellow a bit. It's also kind of warm and inflamed a little.

My vet moved and I'm iffy with the new one, unsure how quickly I can get in. My vet also let me charge and pay when I can because I lost my job in May. So, I'm a little financially worried as well.

I could call my old vet, we were pretty close and really good friends.
Any help???

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You could call an after hours emergency clinic and ask them if it is ok to use Polysporin ear drops. They are safe for human use, but I'm not sure if it is ok for dogs, some products are , like Benydrel, polysporin creams, etc, but you could get advice from the emerg vet and see what they say. If they say its ok , it may help until you can get to your vet. I'm not sure though, maybe someone else has some advice. Good luck, hopefully it's not too serious.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
If your old vet is a good friend and you have access to calling I would call and get advise on what over-the-counter products might work or if your old vet is in business still maybe he could give you a prescription. would be worth a try.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I hope you figure it out good luck an I hope he gets better soon

OP
Jackieshoes

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
I called Bob, he suggested Benadryl I'm going to call my new vet in the morning an see (my boyfriend has a really good friend who is a vet tech there)

He's sleeping good right now so well see. I feed him yogurt everyday as a treat, and it's supposed to help with the yeast

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Benedryl is just a band aid for a larger problem, isn't it? I'd suggest getting in there and cleaning them out REALLY GOOD with an appropriate product (??? someone else will know) and then wait n see if that helps. If they are warm and inflamed, it's gotta be a vet trip. Getting them cleaned out real good will help you see what's going on in there. Bo's ears get GROSS -- Bea's do not -- but they both get ears wiped out at least once a week --- sometimes twice. I do it in a "massage" type way so they think it feels good. hahahahahahaha (So they hold still better)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would see a vet too. But going back to what you said about a yeast infection that has never cleared up ....... what food are you using?? That could ba cause of these yeast problems v

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If it's yeast then malecetic ultra would be my product of choice, it has fungus killers in it and a bit of steroid. Whenever I see yellowish stuff from the ears I use that and panalog and it clears it up right away. Panalog is a script however, but you can get the malecetic ultra on amazon.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Seems to me like an infection.
Need meds to clear up the infection to start with.

Use a ear cleaner on a monthly basis once the infection is cleared up.

Good Day~

OP
Jackieshoes

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
My sweet boyfriend is paying for us to go see dr Brenda- ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352147176.108048.jpg
All ready. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352147258.375327.jpg
Maybe a nap before we go

OP
Jackieshoes

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
And as far as the food stuff goes, I just changed his food from prescription diet cd to organix ultra mix so idk if its that. He's not throwing up daily, urinating and BMs are normal, so I don't think it's that. My neighbor is a vet tech too, so she let me use some trasoderm drops... He seems better but were still going to the doc.

OP
Jackieshoes

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
He had a bacteria and yeast infection, got an antibiotic shot and a steroid shot. Starting day after tomorrow start on the trasoderm drops and keep feeding him yogurt... And because I can't keep from taking pics, here's one of us sharing a 2' by 1.5' bench at the vet!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352158107.815950.jpg

KT221

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Muffin (nickname: "pig", "my baked good")
Such a sweet picture! What a pair! I'm glad he's feeling better and on the mend.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.