URGENT!!! Lola ate a battery!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
My Lola just ate a AA battery what should I do? Will it pass in her poop or do I need to take her to the vet? I am worried about the battery leaking!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
OMG I don't know!! I just googled it and found an article on petfinder. It says to check her tongue for signs of discoloration and to give her some milk. Here is the article
Please keep us informed!!

What to Do if Your Pet Ingests Batteries
Charlotte Means, D.V.M., ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

Batteries are everywhere in modern life. Ranging from button size to the large D cells, batteries are in our remote controls, smoke alarms, portable CD players, holiday ornaments, clocks and watches, toysā€¦and even in our petsā€™ toys. Batteries have become so common that we hardly give them a thought until the dog chews up the remote control. Then we become concerned: Is ingesting a battery just an annoyanceā€¦or a potentially serious problem?

Most batteries, in order to increase cell life, contain potassium hydroxide, which decreases corrosion. These batteries are usually called alkaline. Potassium hydroxide, however, is itself a corrosive agent that causes ulcerations and burns in the oral cavity, especially on the tongue, in the esophagus and on the skin.

Dogs are most commonly affected because they chew and puncture the battery casing. If the battery is chewed into pieces and the fluid swallowed, or if the battery case is cracked, allowing fluid to leak out, burns can occur in the mouth and esophagus. If the fluid leaks onto the skin, dermal burns can occur.

Did He, Or Didnā€™t He?
If battery fluid has been ingested, the tips and sides of the tongue will usually appear red and raw, or will have a whitish-gray appearance due to dead skin. The dog will generally drool heavily and may vomit. He may be quiet or may whimper or cry due to pain. Although many animals will stop eating because of oral pain, some dogs will continue to eat, but may chew slowly and carefully. The dog may appear to have difficulty swallowing. These signs often are delayed and may not appear for up to 12 hours.

If a dog ingests a battery, itā€™s important to know what kind it is and if it was ingested whole or chewed into pieces. When a battery is missing, and it is not known if the dog actually ingested it, an X ray will show if pieces of the battery are in the stomach.

When ingestion is recent, the most important initial treatment is to dilute the corrosive fluid. Small quantities of milkā€”based on the weight of the animalā€”can be given. Large amounts may cause diarrhea. Vomiting should not be induced without consulting a veterinarian, because if the dog vomits the corrosive fluid, the damage to his throat can be significantly increased.

If pieces of the battery are present in the stomach, surgery may be required to remove the battery and prevent further leakage of the fluid. An intact battery, on the other hand, may obstruct the intestine, requiring surgical removal. Sometimes, if the battery is intact, a high-fiber ā€œbulkingā€ diet may aid in passage of the battery.

Dogs who develop clinical signs will require veterinary care consisting of antibiotics, pain medications, medication to protect the stomach and intestines and special diets. A veterinarian may recommend that a dogā€™s throat be examined endoscopically to access the damage to the esophagus. If severe scarring occurs, the dog may have difficulty eating and swallowing later on.

Safe Handling
Prevention is the best cure. Keep battery packages out of reach of all pets, in secured cupboards or drawers. Remotes, toys and appliances that contain batteries should also be placed out of reach. Toys that roar or make other interesting noises may have batteries inside. Allow the dog to play with these toys only under supervision, and remove the battery if the dog ā€œkillsā€ the toy.

In the 21st century, itā€™s probably impossible to eliminate batteries from our homes. Therefore, we need to handle them responsibly, just as we do small, sharp objects, poisons, medications and other household items that present a hazard to our animal companions.

Dr. Means is a veterinary toxicologist at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center in Urbana, IL.
Courtesy of
ASPCA
424 East 92nd St.
New York, NY 10128-6804
(212) 876-7700
www.aspca.org

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Personally I would take her to the vet immediately! Darn bully's they will eat anything! Keep us updated!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Well wish I would have read this article because I just put her in the bath tub and made her throw up! She did have a battery in there but I dont see spots where her tongue is discolored or looks sore and she doesnt act like she is in pain. Im calling her vet now!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well wish I would have read this article because I just put her in the bath tub and made her throw up! She did have a battery in there but I dont see spots where her tongue is discolored or looks sore and she doesnt act like she is in pain. Im calling her vet now!

Sounds like she is okay then :whew:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wow Lola is one lucky bully! You may still want to call your vet to ask them if she still should be seen. So glad she threw it up.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
hope all is ok, that would be so scary.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
OMG I don't know!! I just googled it and found an article on petfinder. It says to check her tongue for signs of discoloration and to give her some milk. Here is the article
Please keep us informed!!

What to Do if Your Pet Ingests Batteries
Charlotte Means, D.V.M., ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

Batteries are everywhere in modern life. Ranging from button size to the large D cells, batteries are in our remote controls, smoke alarms, portable CD players, holiday ornaments, clocks and watches, toysā€¦and even in our petsā€™ toys. Batteries have become so common that we hardly give them a thought until the dog chews up the remote control. Then we become concerned: Is ingesting a battery just an annoyanceā€¦or a potentially serious problem?

Most batteries, in order to increase cell life, contain potassium hydroxide, which decreases corrosion. These batteries are usually called alkaline. Potassium hydroxide, however, is itself a corrosive agent that causes ulcerations and burns in the oral cavity, especially on the tongue, in the esophagus and on the skin.

Dogs are most commonly affected because they chew and puncture the battery casing. If the battery is chewed into pieces and the fluid swallowed, or if the battery case is cracked, allowing fluid to leak out, burns can occur in the mouth and esophagus. If the fluid leaks onto the skin, dermal burns can occur.

Did He, Or Didnā€™t He?
If battery fluid has been ingested, the tips and sides of the tongue will usually appear red and raw, or will have a whitish-gray appearance due to dead skin. The dog will generally drool heavily and may vomit. He may be quiet or may whimper or cry due to pain. Although many animals will stop eating because of oral pain, some dogs will continue to eat, but may chew slowly and carefully. The dog may appear to have difficulty swallowing. These signs often are delayed and may not appear for up to 12 hours.

If a dog ingests a battery, itā€™s important to know what kind it is and if it was ingested whole or chewed into pieces. When a battery is missing, and it is not known if the dog actually ingested it, an X ray will show if pieces of the battery are in the stomach.

When ingestion is recent, the most important initial treatment is to dilute the corrosive fluid. Small quantities of milkā€”based on the weight of the animalā€”can be given. Large amounts may cause diarrhea. Vomiting should not be induced without consulting a veterinarian, because if the dog vomits the corrosive fluid, the damage to his throat can be significantly increased.

If pieces of the battery are present in the stomach, surgery may be required to remove the battery and prevent further leakage of the fluid. An intact battery, on the other hand, may obstruct the intestine, requiring surgical removal. Sometimes, if the battery is intact, a high-fiber ā€œbulkingā€ diet may aid in passage of the battery.

Dogs who develop clinical signs will require veterinary care consisting of antibiotics, pain medications, medication to protect the stomach and intestines and special diets. A veterinarian may recommend that a dogā€™s throat be examined endoscopically to access the damage to the esophagus. If severe scarring occurs, the dog may have difficulty eating and swallowing later on.

Safe Handling
Prevention is the best cure. Keep battery packages out of reach of all pets, in secured cupboards or drawers. Remotes, toys and appliances that contain batteries should also be placed out of reach. Toys that roar or make other interesting noises may have batteries inside. Allow the dog to play with these toys only under supervision, and remove the battery if the dog ā€œkillsā€ the toy.

In the 21st century, itā€™s probably impossible to eliminate batteries from our homes. Therefore, we need to handle them responsibly, just as we do small, sharp objects, poisons, medications and other household items that present a hazard to our animal companions.

Dr. Means is a veterinary toxicologist at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center in Urbana, IL.
Courtesy of
ASPCA
424 East 92nd St.
New York, NY 10128-6804
(212) 876-7700
www.aspca.org
that is excellent info. I just incorporated it into the article I'm finalizing right now. :up:

BarkingStella

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Peggy ,Stella ,Gabby
When I worked at the vet clinic , it was ALWAYS get the dog to the vet! Poor baby! And poor you! You must be scared to death!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yes, take her to the vet asap. Swallowing batteries, especially small ones can cause burns and corosion in her body. Please let us know.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
that is excellent info. I just incorporated it into the article I'm finalizing right now. :up:

also include pennies, Jeannie. The zinc content in the Lincoln pennies (minted from 1983 and on are 97% zinc), are also toxic to animals.

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Good article . In this case you should call the emergency after hours vet, and see what they suggest. If she swallowed it whole, then it won't probably leak, and because its a smooth rounded object, it won't puncture, and probably pass through in a few days. My male Dozer has swallowed a spare rib bone, a sock, and when he was at the vet for his neuter surgery, he chewed off and swallowed his gauze and bandage from his IV site. They were about 12 inches long. The vet sent him home with 4 cans of fibre dog food , and I had to feed him 1 to 2 Tbsp every hour for four days, nothing happened, except very loose mushy stools, but the vet said the fibre helps to push things along the digestive tract. A week after he swallowed the gauze, he passed a very very long poop, wrapped around the gauze. Lol. She will be alright, try not to worry to much. I know easier said than done, you won't be able to do that until she passes it. Keep us posted. Hope everything is ok.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online