Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Default Lola ate a battery!

My Lola just ate a AA battery what should I do? Will it pass in her poop or do I need to take her to the vet? I am worried about the battery leaking!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lola ate a battery!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeasmom2008 View Post
    My Lola just ate a AA battery what should I do? Will it pass in her poop or do I need to take her to the vet? I am worried about the battery leaking!
    Oh I'm so sorry. I would definitely take her just for the very reason you said. Call them ASAP and see what they say.

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

OMG I don't know!! I just googled it and found an article on petfinder. It says to check her tongue for signs of discoloration and to give her some milk. Here is the article
    Please keep us informed!!

What to Do if Your Pet Ingests Batteries
    Charlotte Means, D.V.M., ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

Batteries are everywhere in modern life. Ranging from button size to the large D cells, batteries are in our remote controls, smoke alarms, portable CD players, holiday ornaments, clocks and watches, toys…and even in our pets’ toys. Batteries have become so common that we hardly give them a thought until the dog chews up the remote control. Then we become concerned: Is ingesting a battery just an annoyance…or a potentially serious problem?

Most batteries, in order to increase cell life, contain potassium hydroxide, which decreases corrosion. These batteries are usually called alkaline. Potassium hydroxide, however, is itself a corrosive agent that causes ulcerations and burns in the oral cavity, especially on the tongue, in the esophagus and on the skin.

Dogs are most commonly affected because they chew and puncture the battery casing. If the battery is chewed into pieces and the fluid swallowed, or if the battery case is cracked, allowing fluid to leak out, burns can occur in the mouth and esophagus. If the fluid leaks onto the skin, dermal burns can occur.

Did He, Or Didn’t He?
    If battery fluid has been ingested, the tips and sides of the tongue will usually appear red and raw, or will have a whitish-gray appearance due to dead skin. The dog will generally drool heavily and may vomit. He may be quiet or may whimper or cry due to pain. Although many animals will stop eating because of oral pain, some dogs will continue to eat, but may chew slowly and carefully. The dog may appear to have difficulty swallowing. These signs often are delayed and may not appear for up to 12 hours.

If a dog ingests a battery, it’s important to know what kind it is and if it was ingested whole or chewed into pieces. When a battery is missing, and it is not known if the dog actually ingested it, an X ray will show if pieces of the battery are in the stomach.

When ingestion is recent, the most important initial treatment is to dilute the corrosive fluid. Small quantities of milk—based on the weight of the animal—can be given. Large amounts may cause diarrhea. Vomiting should not be induced without consulting a veterinarian, because if the dog vomits the corrosive fluid, the damage to his throat can be significantly increased.

If pieces of the battery are present in the stomach, surgery may be required to remove the battery and prevent further leakage of the fluid. An intact battery, on the other hand, may obstruct the intestine, requiring surgical removal. Sometimes, if the battery is intact, a high-fiber “bulking” diet may aid in passage of the battery.

Dogs who develop clinical signs will require veterinary care consisting of antibiotics, pain medications, medication to protect the stomach and intestines and special diets. A veterinarian may recommend that a dog’s throat be examined endoscopically to access the damage to the esophagus. If severe scarring occurs, the dog may have difficulty eating and swallowing later on.

Safe Handling
    Prevention is the best cure. Keep battery packages out of reach of all pets, in secured cupboards or drawers. Remotes, toys and appliances that contain batteries should also be placed out of reach. Toys that roar or make other interesting noises may have batteries inside. Allow the dog to play with these toys only under supervision, and remove the battery if the dog “kills” the toy.

In the 21st century, it’s probably impossible to eliminate batteries from our homes. Therefore, we need to handle them responsibly, just as we do small, sharp objects, poisons, medications and other household items that present a hazard to our animal companions.

Dr. Means is a veterinary toxicologist at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center in Urbana, IL.
    Courtesy of
    ASPCA
    424 East 92nd St.
    New York, NY 10128-6804
    (212) 876-7700
    www.aspca.org

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Personally I would take her to the vet immediately! Darn bully's they will eat anything! Keep us updated!

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Well wish I would have read this article because I just put her in the bath tub and made her throw up! She did have a battery in there but I dont see spots where her tongue is discolored or looks sore and she doesnt act like she is in pain. Im calling her vet now!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeasmom2008 View Post
    Well wish I would have read this article because I just put her in the bath tub and made her throw up! She did have a battery in there but I dont see spots where her tongue is discolored or looks sore and she doesnt act like she is in pain. Im calling her vet now!
    Sounds like she is okay then

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

How scary! Batteries scare me with the kids and pups.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Wow Lola is one lucky bully! You may still want to call your vet to ask them if she still should be seen. So glad she threw it up.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

hope all is ok, that would be so scary.
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    OMG I don't know!! I just googled it and found an article on petfinder. It says to check her tongue for signs of discoloration and to give her some milk. Here is the article
    Please keep us informed!!

What to Do if Your Pet Ingests Batteries
    Charlotte Means, D.V.M., ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

Batteries are everywhere in modern life. Ranging from button size to the large D cells, batteries are in our remote controls, smoke alarms, portable CD players, holiday ornaments, clocks and watches, toys…and even in our pets’ toys. Batteries have become so common that we hardly give them a thought until the dog chews up the remote control. Then we become concerned: Is ingesting a battery just an annoyance…or a potentially serious problem?

Most batteries, in order to increase cell life, contain potassium hydroxide, which decreases corrosion. These batteries are usually called alkaline. Potassium hydroxide, however, is itself a corrosive agent that causes ulcerations and burns in the oral cavity, especially on the tongue, in the esophagus and on the skin.

Dogs are most commonly affected because they chew and puncture the battery casing. If the battery is chewed into pieces and the fluid swallowed, or if the battery case is cracked, allowing fluid to leak out, burns can occur in the mouth and esophagus. If the fluid leaks onto the skin, dermal burns can occur.

Did He, Or Didn’t He?
    If battery fluid has been ingested, the tips and sides of the tongue will usually appear red and raw, or will have a whitish-gray appearance due to dead skin. The dog will generally drool heavily and may vomit. He may be quiet or may whimper or cry due to pain. Although many animals will stop eating because of oral pain, some dogs will continue to eat, but may chew slowly and carefully. The dog may appear to have difficulty swallowing. These signs often are delayed and may not appear for up to 12 hours.

If a dog ingests a battery, it’s important to know what kind it is and if it was ingested whole or chewed into pieces. When a battery is missing, and it is not known if the dog actually ingested it, an X ray will show if pieces of the battery are in the stomach.

When ingestion is recent, the most important initial treatment is to dilute the corrosive fluid. Small quantities of milk—based on the weight of the animal—can be given. Large amounts may cause diarrhea. Vomiting should not be induced without consulting a veterinarian, because if the dog vomits the corrosive fluid, the damage to his throat can be significantly increased.

If pieces of the battery are present in the stomach, surgery may be required to remove the battery and prevent further leakage of the fluid. An intact battery, on the other hand, may obstruct the intestine, requiring surgical removal. Sometimes, if the battery is intact, a high-fiber “bulking” diet may aid in passage of the battery.

Dogs who develop clinical signs will require veterinary care consisting of antibiotics, pain medications, medication to protect the stomach and intestines and special diets. A veterinarian may recommend that a dog’s throat be examined endoscopically to access the damage to the esophagus. If severe scarring occurs, the dog may have difficulty eating and swallowing later on.

Safe Handling
    Prevention is the best cure. Keep battery packages out of reach of all pets, in secured cupboards or drawers. Remotes, toys and appliances that contain batteries should also be placed out of reach. Toys that roar or make other interesting noises may have batteries inside. Allow the dog to play with these toys only under supervision, and remove the battery if the dog “kills” the toy.

In the 21st century, it’s probably impossible to eliminate batteries from our homes. Therefore, we need to handle them responsibly, just as we do small, sharp objects, poisons, medications and other household items that present a hazard to our animal companions.

Dr. Means is a veterinary toxicologist at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center in Urbana, IL.
    Courtesy of
    ASPCA
    424 East 92nd St.
    New York, NY 10128-6804
    (212) 876-7700
    www.aspca.org
    that is excellent info. I just incorporated it into the article I'm finalizing right now.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Ohhh man! I'm just seeing this this. How frightening. Please let us know...

Bulldog(s) Names
    Peggy ,Stella ,Gabby
    Likes (Received)

When I worked at the vet clinic , it was ALWAYS get the dog to the vet! Poor baby! And poor you! You must be scared to death!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads