Allergy medicine

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Mack has a Rx for Hydroxyzine for his seasonal allergies. Is this something that I can substitute with benadryl? His pills are 25mg and the instructions are 1.5 pills 2-3 times per day as needed for itch.

If I were to switch to benadryl, what would his dosage be? Benadryl comes in pills right?

Also, is there a reason noone uses clariton? Is out bad for them? Does it not work?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Tonka is on Hydroxyzine. He gets 2 per day of the 50mg. We have found that this works best for him...and we have tried them ALL. I do not find that it makes Tonka drowsy at all. It really depends on the dog as far as which antihistamine is going to work. I know Benadryl works great for some, just not for mine. We did try Claritan but didn't have much success with it. That's not to say that you wouldn't though. I would check with your vet for the dosage for Claritan based on Mack's weight. My vet told me that these various antihistamines belong to different "classes" and so that's why he had me do little trials with them all (Zyrtec, Claritan, Benadryl etc.) until we found the right one for Tonka, because they all work a little differently. I hope you find the best fit for Mack!!! :)

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank just had his check up this past weekend. All is good, but Vet did notice a little redness in his eyes (which I thought was normal for bullies), slightly watery eyes, pinkish chin and pinkish feet (but he never licks). She recommended Benedryl, Claritin or Zyrtec. Noting that the Claritin or Zyrtec wont make him sleepy, like Benedryl can. I already take Zyrtec so I will just share with him :) He is 50 lbs and she says 2 a day - one morning and one night, for him. She also says generic is just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Members online

No members online now.