Allergy medicine

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Mack has a Rx for Hydroxyzine for his seasonal allergies. Is this something that I can substitute with benadryl? His pills are 25mg and the instructions are 1.5 pills 2-3 times per day as needed for itch.

If I were to switch to benadryl, what would his dosage be? Benadryl comes in pills right?

Also, is there a reason noone uses clariton? Is out bad for them? Does it not work?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I would talk to your Vet about the medications for Mack, I haven't heard of giving Hydroxyzine for allergies (I just sent a message to my friend that works in a vets office) but I know the dose for Benadryl is 1mg per 1 pound, and it comes in pills and liquid form. As for the Claritin I would ask my Vet first just to be safe before giving any kind of medication.

OP
Noyes27

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Sorry it is actually hydroxyzine hcl. Does that make difference?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=6215]Noyes27[/MENTION] - I just pulled this information off of the internet for you ... a lot of information but all good things to know:

What is Hydroxyzine HCl?

Hydroxyzine HCl is an antihistamine used for the treatment of allergies in dogs and cats. Hydroxyzine HCl requires a prescription from your veterinarian, and is sold per tablet.
10175_individual.jpg
For: Dogs and Cats
Benefits:
Effective against hives, itching, and rashes
Can be used as a mild sedative or tranquilizer for anxious dogs
How it works:
Hydroxyzine blocks the effects of histamine in the body. Hydroxyzine also depresses activity of the central nervous system and is also used to treat anxiety disorders and tension in stressful situations.
Cautions:
It should not be used in pregnant or nursing animals. Hydroxzyzine may cause drowsiness. Be sure to tell your veterinarian about any health conditions or other drugs your dog or cat may be taking.

More Information:
Brand Name
Atarax (Pfizer)
Generic Name
Hydroxyzine HCl
What is the most important information I should know about hydroxyzine: Hydroxyzine HCl (generic for Atarax) is not FDA approved for use in veterinary medicine; however, it is a commonly accepted practice for veterinarians to use this medication in dogs and cats. Hydroxyzine is available as 10mg, 25mg, and 50mg tablets.The usual dose of hydroxyzine in dogs is 1mg per pound every 6 to 8 hours. The usual dose of hydroxyzine in cats is 5 to 10 mg per cat every 8 to 12 hours. Hydroxyzine may cause drowsiness or dizziness.
What is Hydroxyzine: Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine. It blocks the effects of histamine in the body making it useful to treat allergic conditions that affect the skin such as hives, itching and rashes. Hydroxyzine depresses activity of the central nervous system and is also used to treat anxiety disorders and tension in stressful situations. Hydroxyzine may be used for other purposes than those listed in this guide.
How should this medication be given: Follow the instructions on the prescription label. If you do not understand these directions ask your pharmacist or veterinarian to explain them to you. Store hydroxyzine at room temperature away from moisture and heat.What happens if I miss giving a dose: Give the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if it almost time for the next regularly scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and give the next one as directed. Do not give a double dose of the medication.
What happens if I overdose the pet: Seek emergency veterinary medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medication. Symptoms of overdose may include extreme drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, seizures, and decreased breathing.
What should I avoid while giving Hydroxyzine: Hydroxyzine can cause drowsiness and dizziness.
What are the possible side effects of Hydroxyzine: Seek emergency veterinary medical attention if your pet experiences any signs of an allergic reaction (hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat). Keep giving Hydroxyzine and talk to your veterinarian if your pet develops any of these less serious side effects; dizziness, drowsiness, or confusion; blurred vision or dry mouth; nausea or vomiting. Talk to your veterinarian about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome to your pet.

OP
Noyes27

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Thanks! I am always wary of internet advice, bc people can post any old nonsense, but it looks like you found an informational piece opposed to an opinion. Appreciate it! I suppose I could have googled it myself, I just thought some of you might have personal experience.

Anyways, I will keep you updated on progress. Thanks again!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Mack has a Rx for Hydroxyzine for his seasonal allergies. Is this something that I can substitute with benadryl? His pills are 25mg and the instructions are 1.5 pills 2-3 times per day as needed for itch.

If I were to switch to benadryl, what would his dosage be? Benadryl comes in pills right?

Also, is there a reason noone uses clariton? Is out bad for them? Does it not work?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

I've never tried Claritin on my guys but I know some who have. Not all antihistamines are effective for everyone. I can tell you that Benadryl doesn't work at all for Otis. He takes Zyrtec. It not only works but it doesn't cause the same drowsiness as Benadryl and it's once a day dosing.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=6215]Noyes27[/MENTION] - I am a pharmacy technician so I have this thing about medicines I even have books at home I can look meds up in etc I love bulldogs and would do anything possible to help them be healthy and happy, hope the information was helpful.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We use benedryl... 1mg per pound up to 3x a day.... benedryl does not work for all pups (just like humnas) so you could try on of the other OTC's if you do not see any improvement with Benedryl

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=6215]Noyes27[/MENTION] - I am a pharmacy technician so I have this thing about medicines I even have books at home I can look meds up in etc I love bulldogs and would do anything possible to help them be healthy and happy, hope the information was helpful.

:clap2: You rule!

Bettygcarren

Nov 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
tinu
My dog is of two months and he is allergic of water. Whenever he take his bath he fall sick for two or three days. Don't know what to do please suggest something..

------------------------
**removed for advertising:

Last edited by a moderator:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Thanks! I am always wary of internet advice, bc people can post any old nonsense, but it looks like you found an informational piece opposed to an opinion. Appreciate it! I suppose I could have googled it myself, I just thought some of you might have personal experience.

Anyways, I will keep you updated on progress. Thanks again!

i am late to this thread but i have used this on my bostons before with good results. i tried it on sarah but even at the low dose she would hump the air for like an hour afterwards then be fine. this doesnt mean your will but she did. one of my bostons did seem to get some dry skin with his dose so i lowered it and he was fine afterwards.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I use hydroxizine on occasion if needed... Seems to work pretty well. My vet wrote a paper script so I could get it at my pharmacy instead, he said it would be a lot cheaper. Just like with benedryl, it can cause sleepiness just depends on the bully!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.