Eyes

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I noticed Bear is constantly blinking his eyes like there is something in it especially the left one. Its also not as open as the other. I've examined it and its not any redder than the other, it doesn't look irritated and I can't see anything in it. I washed his face. I called the vet to see if I could use eye drops. They said not alot, I've got plain saline drops for eyes. They also suggested artificial tears. I don't know has anyone used regular saline drops for humans on their dog?

I think maybe he has something in the eye i just can't see. I was worried about cherry eye but the vet said i would know if it was that.

suggestions on eye irritation? :bully:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Call your vet to see if there is an optimologist vet in your area. Eyes are different, and if you take him to your vet then the vet tells you to go to the optimologist, then you will be paying TWICE for all the same tests.

If he is squinting- he could have a scratch or ulcer. Tidus has been through a terrible time, because I waited it out for a few days, then he scratched the other eye because he was rubbing the one with the ulcer, and it was back and forth for a long time now.... he ended up having his lids stapled to keep the swollen skin around his eyes from poking in the eye.

Squinting usually means pain.... now I have spent a small fortune on getting his eyes fixed and I think it is cuz I waited too long. I would take Bear in asap- just in case.

It's Saturday, which really stinks- so I am going to refer you to my threads for Tidus on what you can use for now to help him be more comfortable. There are 3 now... my poor baby has 3 threads. Ugh.

Dry eye is common in bullies too, so you def. want to have him seen.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...uinting-his-eye....&highlight=tidus+squinting

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...the-kiddie-pool-after-all....&p=4928#post4928

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...Tidus-is-not-feeling-well....&highlight=tidus

OP
mammyglicks

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Ok i will call on Monday, vet is closed now and I will have to find an opt doc for pets. I noticed that his lower inner eye lid (best I can describe it) is what's bothering him, it won't retract sometimes. Is this common or is it precursor to something worse?

OP
mammyglicks

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
i went to Petco and got Hy-Optic eye irrigation and i've used it once. I pinned Bear down and opened his eye to put them in and the bottom lid is weird like its popping out. I hope this isn't cherry eye. I am going to monitor him through the weekend, looks like a vet visit on Monday.

now off to love on my bear bear...:heart::heart::heart::bully:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Can't be of any help at all on this one ....... but hope he feels better soon!! :heart:

OP
mammyglicks

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Bear eye (2).jpgBear eye (1).jpgHere are a couple photos I took just now. Is this normal dry eye or something else? DOes this look like it could be allergies or the beginnings of cherry eye? I've looked at all the threads here and photos online and I just don't know. I've used the drops 2x so far and gave him a benadryl about an hour ago. It just looks like its getting worse :(

I hate that this has happened on the weekend. Good news is I found a pet opthamologist only 20 minutes away. I will call my vet first thing Monday to see if I should do the eye dr and then call them I guess. I just hate this, i know when I have eye issues its annoying so I can only imagine how he is feeling.:blah:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Awww he looks so sad and hurt. I hope it is just a scratch of some kind and drop will help. Abby got a scratch once, they wanted to go all the way and do surgery to re-position her lids. I waited and it healed up, she has never had it again. I hope he feels better soon.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
ooooh ouchie! He does look like he is in a lot of pain, and since his lower eyelid is swollen that fur is probably poking him in the eye. Oooooh, ouch.

My only other eye problem has been with Jesse. Ever since I got her as a pup, she had one eye that had a tear stain. Even at 14 weeks old. I had her eye checked at the vet 4 times, and each time they told me she did not have entropion, it was just a 'leaky eye'.

Well, after learning about dog food, I figured there was something in the food that was causing her eye to swell. So I tried many different foods with her. Still no luck, and it even got worse. My last vet appointment with her the vet told me she had entropion. I was horrified, because they told me 4 times she did not have it. So he gave me his magnifier (my vet is very helpful and showed me). Well, I looked and I said, but I do not see hairs from the lower eyelid poking her in the eye, just the hair from the swollen fur from under the eye. Entropion is where the 'eye lashes' grow inward, not the fur growing beneath the eye! So I told him, I had one more food I wanted to try before I thought about getting it repaired. That food was Fromm Grain Free Surf and Turf. Within 3 weeks the stain was gone, and both her eyes look brighter than they ever have. Her eyes are no longer swollen underneath causing the fur to poke her.

Tidus was a whole different story. Just like with Bear, you could see he was in pain. This looks like a scratch or ulcer to me, it does not look like cherry eye from the pics.

OP
mammyglicks

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
i am going to try the Fromm, which store sells it or do i have to order online? I don't remember seeing it at Petsmart or Petco...

That third lid is very red today but not popping out. I have some eye antibiotic I am going to try and the drops throughout the day. Could be the fur I didn't know about that!! Thanks for all the help.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
You can go on their website and search for stores by zip code. You will still need to call those listed, since the list isn't up-to-date. It will be sold at smaller privately owned shops like feed supplies etc.. You can order it online also. On store search engine you have the choice of searching local shops or online. I buy my Grain free surf and turf locally but have to order the classic mature adult online.

http://www.frommfamily.com/

OP
mammyglicks

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I don't know which one to get? Whats the difference between 4 star and classic? do i need to get adult or do they have puppy? Bear just turned 7 months. When can he be changed to adult?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Well Some of their line is good for either Puppy or Adult. Of course the 4-star and gold are more expensive but also more isolated in ingredients. My Bella needs grain-free due to her disease, that limits me to the Grain-Free surf and turf. Since my Abby has many allergies but also has joint issues, she gets a mix of the grain-free and mature adult. My Sophie has no health issues but is 10, so she just gets the Mature Adult.

My thoughts are this,most skin problems are from allergies, most food allergies come from food and the grains in food...so the Grain-free Surf and Turf, you can't go wrong. If skin and allergy problems aren't your issue then one of the classic's or other mixture should be good. Read up on the food section of the home page. Also the before and afters, they are full of a lot of information, remember a picture is a 1000 words, well check out the before and after food pictures, they will answer a lot of your questions. Sometimes it will take a couple different changes to see what works for you. Just remember to do it very slowly!!!! One change at a time. Good luck!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
yes -- a cherry eye will look like a bubble of pink, bulgy skin , in the corner of the eye .it is likely an irritant to some current pollen. now and spring is bad, and this years especially.
i have not used human saline drops because they usually have something other than saline in them. use refresh, genteal. one of those. if they have an eye scratch, or object in the eye. it has almost for sure covered over by now. the eye heals over in 24 hrs . it will need the vet to look at !!!! but in teh mean time the drops I have suggested will help lubricate the eye . and protect it. good luck.
your dog also may have a mild case if disticia.(I think that is what it is called, where the eye lashes curl under, and causes , scratching of the eye.) in which case , the best bet , and lasting treatment is a slight cut above or below, depending on the lid effected. and a tuck in the skin to pull the eye open more. it is cheap, easy and usually very successful.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
please do not use ---classic,-- but use GOLD instead. I may have mentioned classic by mistake(classic has beet pulp__cheap filler, ) gold is just great food. BUT 4 star has all the individual meats, or combo's that you prefer. and you can have just one meat . the gold has them all together, I would start on the 4 star till you try enough to know they can have he meat in question. dogs 6 months or more can readily go onto adult. . and try to switch the dogs around on the same brand but different meats. to keep the dog from acquiring an intolerance to any given meat. and they like a change--just stay with the same brand and there will be no issues.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online