Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eyes

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Eyes

Well Some of their line is good for either Puppy or Adult. Of course the 4-star and gold are more expensive but also more isolated in ingredients. My Bella needs grain-free due to her disease, that limits me to the Grain-Free surf and turf. Since my Abby has many allergies but also has joint issues, she gets a mix of the grain-free and mature adult. My Sophie has no health issues but is 10, so she just gets the Mature Adult.

My thoughts are this,most skin problems are from allergies, most food allergies come from food and the grains in food...so the Grain-free Surf and Turf, you can't go wrong. If skin and allergy problems aren't your issue then one of the classic's or other mixture should be good. Read up on the food section of the home page. Also the before and afters, they are full of a lot of information, remember a picture is a 1000 words, well check out the before and after food pictures, they will answer a lot of your questions. Sometimes it will take a couple different changes to see what works for you. Just remember to do it very slowly!!!! One change at a time. Good luck!

Always with me

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Lindathedogsmaid's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda Parks- 360 681 5089
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

yes -- a cherry eye will look like a bubble of pink, bulgy skin , in the corner of the eye .it is likely an irritant to some current pollen. now and spring is bad, and this years especially.
    i have not used human saline drops because they usually have something other than saline in them. use refresh, genteal. one of those. if they have an eye scratch, or object in the eye. it has almost for sure covered over by now. the eye heals over in 24 hrs . it will need the vet to look at !!!! but in teh mean time the drops I have suggested will help lubricate the eye . and protect it. good luck.
    your dog also may have a mild case if disticia.(I think that is what it is called, where the eye lashes curl under, and causes , scratching of the eye.) in which case , the best bet , and lasting treatment is a slight cut above or below, depending on the lid effected. and a tuck in the skin to pull the eye open more. it is cheap, easy and usually very successful.
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Real Name
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

please do not use ---classic,-- but use GOLD instead. I may have mentioned classic by mistake(classic has beet pulp__cheap filler, ) gold is just great food. BUT 4 star has all the individual meats, or combo's that you prefer. and you can have just one meat . the gold has them all together, I would start on the 4 star till you try enough to know they can have he meat in question. dogs 6 months or more can readily go onto adult. . and try to switch the dogs around on the same brand but different meats. to keep the dog from acquiring an intolerance to any given meat. and they like a change--just stay with the same brand and there will be no issues.
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Real Name
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

remember that you use a lot less food with this brand..
    a 65 lb adult does not need more than 1/2 cup twice a day to maintain a nice body weight. and pup under a year can do nicely on 3/4 cup twice a day. SO IT IS CHEAPER IN THE LONG RUN. my 72 lber gets 2 heaping 1/2 cups a day. the salmon and veggies is a good chouice for dogs with suspected meat allergies because it is a unusual protein, they will always eat more but do not need it , you will pick it up in the yard.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bear
    Likes (Received)

Again everyone thanks for the advice!! I have ordered the 4 Star Fromm Surf and Turf since its formulated for any life stage and I've read alot of you already use it with good results. I put it on autoship however I can change that if i need to switch the food. I was considering the change before his eye irritation because of the tear stains. The good thing with this Fromm is my beagle can have it too and I don't have to keep buying 2 different kinds. My beagle is currently on Iams Mature. I may keep him on that but i want to see if he likes this new kind but again there isn't anything wrong with him and it would only be out of convenience. we'll see.

As for his eye, I am planning on calling Bear's vet tomorrow and go from there. He is so pitiful looking, i had to resort to using a cone on his head I had from when my beagle had surgery years ago so he doesn't keep pawing at his eye. Poor thing hates it and keeps running into stuff, lol.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

They do make a soft sided cone. It is made of neoprene and I know Petco sells it, I am not sure of the other major stores.

Always with me

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Let us know how poor Bear is doing??!!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bear
    Likes (Received)

Just got back from the vet...

Bear has a tear on his cornea. They did the dye test and she showed me with a blacklight. It isn't a scratch she said this happened from him running into something. My husband remembers he may have poked him in the eye the other day by accident but we just don't know. He is on pain meds, antibiotics, and a solution to dilate his pupils.

Now I am sure many of you have a piggy run bull dog that tends to run into something, furniture, cabinets, walls, lol. So this is what happens, yikes!!

Bear is 7 months 13 days and weighs 32 lbs. The vet says he is very muscular and lean but I might consider feeding him more. I currently feed him 1 Cup 2x a day. She said increase by 1/2 Cup at least until he is one that he needs 1,800 calories per day. Of course I feel horrible about this but honestly I was so afraid of him getting overweight and having more health problems, I thought I was doing the right thing. I'll just feed him more and monitor him so he doesn't get too heavy. I told her I was changing him to Fromm grain free and she said he will definitely be ok to eat more because he won't gain as much on that. Is the vet right? I'd like to defer to all of you because some of you have grown EBs...

His follow up is Monday. The vet said I brought him in quickly so he may not need to see an opthamologist. She commended me on my use of eye antibiotic at home and the saline to keep it moist and said she trusts i will care for him properly and that he should get better and not need to go to the eye dr. I said yep he was an expensive dog, protecting my investment....

I love my bear bear
    Last edited by mammyglicks; 09-27-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mammyglicks View Post
    Just got back from the vet...

Bear has a tear on his cornea. They did the dye test and she showed me with a blacklight. It isn't a scratch she said this happened from him running into something. My husband remembers he may have poked him in the eye the other day by accident but we just don't know. He is on pain meds, antibiotics, and a solution to dilate his pupils.

Now I am sure many of you have a piggy run bull dog that tends to run into something, furniture, cabinets, walls, lol. So this is what happens, yikes!!

Bear is 7 months 13 days and weighs 32 lbs. The vet says he is very muscular and lean but I might consider feeding him more. I currently feed him 1 Cup 2x a day. She said increase by 1/2 Cup at least until he is one that he needs 1,800 calories per day. Of course I feel horrible about this but honestly I was so afraid of him getting overweight and having more health problems, I thought I was doing the right thing. I'll just feed him more and monitor him so he doesn't get too heavy. I told her I was changing him to Fromm grain free and she said he will definitely be ok to eat more because he won't gain as much on that. Is the vet right? I'd like to defer to all of you because some of you have grown EBs...

His follow up is Monday. The vet said I brought him in quickly so he may not need to see an opthamologist. She commended me on my use of eye antibiotic at home and the saline to keep it moist and said she trusts i will care for him properly and that he should get better and not need to go to the eye dr. I said yep he was an expensive dog, protecting my investment....

I love my bear bear
    Ahhh poor guy!!! Glad you acted fast! That could totally happen to Samson, he runs into stuff like its nothing! I definitely think it would be safe to up it to 1 1/2 cups twice a day even on the Fromm because he is young and growing, and now needing to gain a little. I feed Samson 1 cup twice of the Fromm and he is at a perfect weight. I understand your concern for weight gain though, I worry about it too because of the potential hip issues and Samson broke his leg when he was young that needed surgery. The orthopedic surgeon that performed the surgery told me he would have some form of arthritis because of it no matter what and I know extra weight would just make it worse plus for any bully the extra weight is bad for their hips and they are already prone to hip problems anyway!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I am so glad you got him in right away, he will probably be better very quickly I hope. Sweet little Bear.

Yes, at puppy hood I give 3 cups total a day, plus snacks. I am starting to decrease a little since they are going on 8 months.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Though I haven't commented yet, I have been follow Bear's eye saga and I am glad you got a diagnosis and he's on the road to recovery.

With respect to his size, I would like to comment that I share your concerns about weight, given Truman had hip surgery at 4 months of age. It does sound like Bear needs to put on some weight though. Truman basically lost nearly two weeks of development because he didn't have use of his leg and he's not a very large bulldog (well compared to my 79 pound Linus) but he's 5 months, 1 week and weighs 30 pounds. Also remember (as my vet reminded me), that eating well will make his bones grow big and strong so it's important he gets enough nutrients!

Please keep us updated on little Bear!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads