General Question Females going into heat

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I was wondering how old females are when they go into heat and what to be ready for? My Lola the last week has been backing up her butt anytime I go near her back side and will push it right up against whatever is touching her. She also is licking there a lot and she never has done that and now its all the time. She is only 5 months so Im not sure what to think because she is a little young to be in heat. I am getting her fixed in January but her Vet wants to wait tell she is around 8 months. I want to catch it before she goes into heat! thanks!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Have you checked her for a tail pocket? Maybe she has an itch she can't get to?

First heat is usually around 6-9 months, but it can vary immensely. I cannot believe your baby girl is almost a young lady!! :faint:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: they usually go around 7 months I think 5 is a little young but it can vary 6-9 like desertskybulldogs said I would also check her for a tail pocket Franklin does that to me when his tail pocket itches or is bothering him

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
No tail pocket and not swelling of her girl part so I dont know why she is paying attention to much to that part! So when she does go into heat what do I need to know? How bad will it be? And will she have to wear a diaper?

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
No one has any info on this?

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I just experienced this with Amber. She was nine months old and went into heat; what a mess. She wouldn't keep the diaper on, destroyed every one we put on her except for at night. She got diarrhea one night in the diaper and we were outside hosing her off from tip to tail, not a good night for any of us. She lives on the furniture for the most part so that was difficult figuring out how to keep my livingroom set from being soiled. Lots of bankets, shower mats and scrubbing to keep up with the furniture and I called and made the first available appointment to get her spayed, that happened last Friday on 26 Oct 12. lol; she was in good spirits through it all but it was a mess. I finally had to make a pen in the hallway with doggie gates to keep her from messing up the house while I was working and I still had to clean the walls daily. I hope you have better luck than I did with Amber on her first and last heat cycle. Once was enough for me, no more of that stuff. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Oh I hope she doesnt go into heat tell after January! [MENTION=5404]dalmatina38[/MENTION] your story is a horror story! I don't want to live through that! I dont plan on breeding her so why put myself through that? lol

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
the picture below is the diaper we use, I got a medium but it was a good but very snug fit ... I added a panty liner inside just to try and control the mess. I got them at Petco and they worked really well and stayed on! The cycle lasts 3 weeks with 3 varied stages, a week coming in a week in full heat and a week going out ... it is messy but with a good diaper and some female products it can be controlled. My first female I had spayed at 6 months because I didn't want her to come into season at all and it worked out good for her.

100_0654.jpg

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: my female is 3 years old I never had her fixed I go through it every 6 months. Your going to have to get a diaper that is washable an some pads without wings for the dollar store or grocery store there cheaper than petco or petsmart an get some baby or doggie aspirin she will have cramps an if she doesn't have a tail your gonna have to get suspenders to keep them on or if she doesn't have a tail you could always use baby diapers that might work better an then you don't need pads I would put blankets on the couch if you let her up. If you need anything else or what to know anything just ask it last for a month after she's done bleeding she will have clear liquid for a week an that's when your gonna have to keep the males away the first 3 weeks she wont be ready she won't let them do it but the last week she will be ready so if you don't want puppies keep the males away

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I dont want puppies! We live in an apartment now so she is on a leash all the time so no males will be around her but when she goes potty and even then its not very likely. I will have to look at those diapers when I go to petco and see what they have. I hope january comes soon and she can hold off! I am so nervous about this can i just board her the whole week of heat? lol

Members online

No members online now.