Help Needed! Good News and Bad News

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
Good News:

Took Audrey to the vet today for a skin scraping to see how her treatment for demodectic mange is going. She has been on oral ivermectin once a day for 6 long months. Today, much to my suprise (and the vet's) her scrape showed not a SINGLE demodex mite! I was so happy! She can now stop the ivermectin. It was such a struggle to get it in her because it made her foam at the mouth and she HATED it. Poor baby.

Bad News:

As I mentioned in my update post on Audrey, she now has ringworm. Unfourtunately I managed to get it and I spread it to her. Because she still has a weak immune system, it flared out of control, and she has it ALL over her body. I had been treating her with an over the counter 2% Miconazole spray for about a week now. I expected the vet to prescribe us a topical ketoconazole cream (a little stronger then the miconazole) to treat the ringworm, but the vet said because her ringworm is so severe, we need to do an oral pill once daily in addition to using a chlorahexadine shampoo 3 times weekly and continuing the miconazole spray. The oral med the vet want's Audrey to take is a human medication. It is called:

Griseofulvan Ultra Microsize 125mg once a day for 4 weeks.

She wrote us a script for the medicine and we drove to our local pharmacy to pick it up. Problem. It was $180 for only 28 pills!!!! And she will need to get a refill for next month. My fiance' and I simply cannot afford to pay that much money for 28 pills. :( I begged the vet for the ketaconazole cream but she said due to Audrey's condition the ONLY way to treat the ringworm is going to have to be with this oral pill. She recommended I check an online (human) pharmacy to see if I can get it cheaper there. I have tried to find a reputable human pharmacy online but can't seem to find one. :( I just can't afford $360 for two month's worth of pills. Audrey is due for a cherry eye repair surgery and that alone will cost (what I think is pretty reasonable for surgery....$450). I just can't pay only $90 less for PILLS!

I need help. If anyone can help me find the Griseofulvan Ultra Microsize pills (not just griseofulvan, but griseofulvan ultra microsize) online in either 125mg or 250mg tablets for less then $100 for 28 tablets I would be forever indebted to you. I have looked all night and I can't find anything. I am so upset. We've come all this way with her mange only for all her hair to start falling out again due to the stupid ringworm. :*(

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I just sent you a pm to a discount site for Rx see if you can do better there.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I just sent you two sites to try.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I don't know where you live, but have you tried calling around to some other nearby pharmacies? Even some that you might have to take a little drive. Or try calling some regular pharmacies that offer home delivery - I've seen where Walmart and CVS show that they do on their web sites.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I've been following Audrey's journey and I want to help.

Can I donate some funds towards the pills?

Gloria and Boo Boo

I would like to do so as well. Do you have a pay pal account? We could set up a chip in and I'm sure some others might like to help.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I would gladly donate too

OP
Audrey Hepbull

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
I tried calling local pharmacies (including Walmart). I got my hopes up with Walmart because they told me they had the medicine in suspension form (tablets dissolved in syrup or water) for only $40 but when my vet went to call it in, they realized it wasn't the EXACT type of medicine we needed.

I looked on the online pharmacies PMed to me, (thanks to all who took the time to look and who messaged me!) but unfortunately the medicine wasn't the EXACT type needed. I searched for the exact type and they didn't carry it. I printed off the RXRelief coupon that was PMed to me and took it to Walgreens and another local pharmacy. Walgreens said they accepted that coupon for the last 3 years but no longer due because they weren't getting reimbursed for the discount, the other local pharmacy said they wouldn't accept it since the Rx was for a dog.

My fiancé and I just decided to go ahead and buy the meds at $180. It was the cheapest we could find. I went ahead and have Audrey her first pill tonight. She finally has a lot of hair back. I don't want to see her lose it all again.

In regards to donations: I am so deeply touched that you all have offered to donate money towards Audrey's care. I mean words can't really express how wonderful you all are. I know I haven't been around much recently, so the fact that you all jumped in like that for a virtual stranger is so amazing. I feel so awful accepting any help (by no means did I intend to imply a request for donations when I made this post), but for Audrey's sake I don't want to let being a proud person keep her from getting the best care. By no means is anyone expected to contribute to her medical bills, but if anyone would like to help, probably the easiest way would be to call her vet and pay a credit onto her account. We have a recheck appointment on November 27th. I don't have a Paypal account, and this way if you choose to pitch in, you know that your $ is going directly to Audrey's vet.

Audrey's vet is:

Dr. Sheila Snodgrass
Animal Health and Healing
St. Louis, MO

If you search google for that you can find the website and phone number (not sure if I am allowed to post that).

The name on Audrey's file (my name):
Giuliana Stucco and Matthew Gaffney (my fiancé).

If you contribute please PM me a mailing address for you (you don't have to say how much you put forward). Audrey, my fiancé, and I would like to send you a small token of thanks.

Again I am so deeply touched by the kindness on this forum. You all have been so supportive and amazing from the beginning when we started on this journey with Audrey. I hope to be around here sharing Audrey's journey for many years to come.

Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno & Gidget
Hello Audrey's Mum,

Please pm me with your bank account details. I would like to donate but I live in Australia. I want to help Audrey get over this little speed bump.

By the way, I didn't mean to offend you with my offer. I just feel for you both.

I hope to transfer $$ electronically so I'll need account name, number etc.

Gloria

Abuimad

May 24, 2012
Doha Qatar
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
Or you could do a Paypal account and we can send funds towards that incase you don't want to share your banking details online (highly recommended)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Or you could do a Paypal account and we can send funds towards that incase you don't want to share your banking details online (highly recommended)

Yes. Setting up a Paypal account is very easy and I would like to help too. :-)

OP
Audrey Hepbull

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
BooBoo, in no way have you offended me. I just feel bad accepting help. I am deeply touched by your generosity. I will set up a Paypal account today and get the info for everyone. Once again, you guys are so amazing. I can't believe that people from right in my country to half way around the world have been touched by Audrey and her story and want to help. I know this little sausage (one of her nicknames) has touched my life in a way ill never forget. I love her so much!

OP
Audrey Hepbull

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
I have set up a Paypal account. How do I use it now?

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
All we should need is your email address that you use for PayPal and we can send you money. Then, you can withdraw it to your bank account.

OP
Audrey Hepbull

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
Oh ok. Thanks! Anyone who would like to contribute, please PM me and I'll send you my email address. Once again, you guys are amazing and totally don't have to do this. My family is so deeply touched by your kindness. I plan to donate some items to two local bulldog rescues as well as help at a local adoption event to help pay it forward for now. When we get a little more steady with our finances we will definitely be helping out a fellow EBN Forum member like you all are helping us.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.