Help Needed! Trifexis and Fleas?!?

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
So Izzy has been prescribed Trifexis to take care of worms, parasites and fleas. She takes the monthly dose on the 15th of each month.
Yesterday after picking her up from daycare I noticed that she was scratching too much and when I checked her she was infested with fleas. I am always touching her and I am also allergic to fleas so I swear that on SUnday she had none. All the fleas were big and I think I killed about 15 of them.

Wasn't Trifexis suppose to kill the fleas? Is there a possibility that it doesnt work for her? I was just very impressed on the amount of fleas on a short period.

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
I use Trifexis and fleas will get on Herschel, and then sadly have to bite and then they look lethargic (not all jumpy like a normal flea) and die. I do notice tho that at the end of the month, if a flea jumps on Herschel it will take longer to die. Could be someone else was infested and they transferred and had not had a chance to die or bite yet. Trifexis has been terrific here and we had a HORRIBLE flea season.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I don't know how Trifexis works but I do know that some of the flea meds work differently. We use Frontline Plus and I saw a few ticks on Tonka this year. When I called Frontline to ask about how the product worked they told me that it can take a little time for the fleas to drop off, they aren't immediately repelled. I do think it makes them sterile though, so they can't reproduce on your dog. Some need to bite in order for the med to work but in the case of Frontline at least, she said that they just need to get close to the skin/blood source and the meds actually create a hyperactivity in the fleas system until they are so worn out that they die from that. Odd, but that's what she told me. You could always look into how Trifexis works by googling or calling the company. Fleas are so disgusting aren't they? Ugh!!

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
We are fixing to try Trifexis for the first time this month on Otis. Frontline doesn't seem to be working...Every time I see a flea (which has been often lately) my head itches for days. I can't stand them!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She more than likely picked them up from daycare, give her a bath with some flea shampoo, I have even hear that Dawn dishwashing liquid will kill them, but I have never tried it. Dawn would be easier on her than flea shampoo.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Trifexis works by killing the fleas after they bite AND it also does not allow the fleas eggs to hatch which prevents you from having to treat your whole house, bedding, etc. I also think that they must have just gotten on your pup while at daycare and hadn't been on her long enough to be killed. I would let the daycare know though. Sounds like they may need to spray.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Thanks for all the replies. I called her vet and she asked the same question about the fleas (if they were jumpy or lethargic) but I think I so concentrated on killing them that I didn't even pay attention to their behavior. I gave her a bath and got all the fleas put but she still had bites all over her body. I will keep a close eye on her... Especially if she goes back to the daycare.

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
I have had wonderful results with Trifexis. Herschel HATES the tablet tho so I have to crumble it in soft food. I tried hiding it in things he usually can't resist but he smells the tablet and makes the same face a baby makes when they get their first taste of lemon! :eek:

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I have had wonderful results with Trifexis. Herschel HATES the tablet tho so I have to crumble it in soft food. I tried hiding it in things he usually can't resist but he smells the tablet and makes the same face a baby makes when they get their first taste of lemon! :eek:

I heard that a lot of dogs dont like the taste of the medication... I think I gave Izzy no chance to spit it out! Can't remember but I think I gave her pill with peanut butter and she swallowed it in 1 second!

M

mabel lou

Our pet supply here said that when talking to them about flea prevention they no longer recommend Frontline because for some reason it is not working as well this year as it did prior years and recommended another. So I am at the vets office and I ask her about what she would recommend and she said the same thing that the other clerk said. I said how weird is that and she said this year many people are not satisfied with them. Now she wasn't trying to sell me anything either just mere conversation about her thoughts on flea prevention.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Our pet supply here said that when talking to them about flea prevention they no longer recommend Frontline because for some reason it is not working as well this year as it did prior years and recommended another. So I am at the vets office and I ask her about what she would recommend and she said the same thing that the other clerk said. I said how weird is that and she said this year many people are not satisfied with them. Now she wasn't trying to sell me anything either just mere conversation about her thoughts on flea prevention.

Good to know so I wont try that with Izzy. Thanks for sharing.

M

mabel lou

Just so you know that the store does still sell it along with other flea preventative I didn't want people to think they don't sell it anymore because to each his own choice, just that in the clerks opinion he suggested another kind and my vet without knowing I had spoke to him said basically the same thing.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver

I was worried to try it. The lady at the feed store said that there have been complaints about scratching being a side affect. I don't want to risk it. Have you had any issues?

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
I was worried to try it. The lady at the feed store said that there have been complaints about scratching being a side affect. I don't want to risk it. Have you had any issues?

No issues at all and I hadn't heard that at all and I talk to a lot of folks that use it with the Humane Society here. I found this online tho:

Like all medications, sometimes side effects may occur. In some cases, dogs vomited after receiving Trifexis. If vomiting occurs within an hour of administration, redose with another full dose. During field studies, no severe or prolonged vomiting occurred. Additional adverse reactions observed in the clinical studies were itching, decreased activity, diarrhea, inflammation of the skin, redness of the skin, decreased appetite and redness of the ear. All reactions were regarded as mild.

Last edited:

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
I also wanted to add that although Herschel does not have any known allergies, he does have sensitive skin and I haven't seen any itching or redness. As for the vomiting, it is recommended that you give with a full meal and that hasn't bothered him either.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online