Help Needed! Question about Apple cider vinegar

Ebnrjn21

Oct 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
We have a few picked out!
I'm gonna give my puppy Apple Cider Vinegar but wasn't sure to give regular apple cider vinegar or apple cider vinegar organic? Also what brand/maker is the best? Thank you !

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
I buy Bragg's organic raw-unfiltered apple cider vinegar with the mother. I found mine at Whole Foods.

Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I just use all natural apple cider vinegar 5% acidity it the giant store brand (grocery store) it works great for me its a couple of dollars I put a tablespoon in their water every morning I used to put it in everytime

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I was wondering what apple cider vinegar is used for, what benefits do they get from adding it to their water ? Do they need it? I give them yogurt two or three times a week, cut up apples, baby carrots as a treat, banana, they get Fromms Beef Fritata twice a day, morning and night, with Fromms canned pâté added to the kibble in the morning, and just kibble at night. They get a egg, either hard boiled, or sometimes raw 2 times a week. I haven't tried any other foods for them, but heard oatmeal is good for them, I'm just afraid that it might be too much fibre, and give them soft stools, and it is a grain, and Blossom has had sensitivity problems, so am afraid to chance it. I just switched their food to Fromms 2 weeks ago, and they are both doing well on it. I also give them salmon oil, and cranberry oil pills. I want to give them healthy supplements, but don't want to overdue it and give them too much.

Last edited:

AllisonXX

Nov 8, 2012
Northwest Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Monty
Apple cider vinegar has several benefits. It can help with the body's absorption of calcium and other minerals (like other acids). It has antiseptic qualities and can inhibit the growth of opportunistic bacteria and viruses in the digestive tract. Also it balances the digestive tract pH if it is too alkaline.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I was wondering what apple cider vinegar is used for, what benefits do they get from adding it to their water ? Do they need it?

I wrote a blog post a couple of months ago on the benefits and dosage of ACV. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/blogs/twice/279-apple-cider-vinegar.html but basically it says...

I give Abby 1 tsp in her water twice a day. A 50 pound dog should get 1 tbs twice a day. It has boosted her immune system, relieved the itching from hotspots and mange, cleared up her ear infections and chin acne and I'm hoping its helping her joints.

There health benefits of ACV for dogs are huge. The big ones are (from the Whole Dog Journal andNatural Dog Health):

• ACV is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and antiseptic. It helps prevent bacterial and viral growth in the digestive tract. In addition, it does not upset the balance of the friendly bacteria inside the GI tract. As a result, apple cider vinegar boosts the immune system. It improves stamina, increases resistance to diseases, prevents common infections, and is therefore helpful for dogs with weakened immune systems.
  • ACV normalizes the blood's acid alkaline balance and its potassium-rich ingredients remineralize the body. ACV breaks down calcium deposits in a dog's joints and remineralizes the bones, and as such it is beneficial for dogs with arthritis and joint problems such as hip dysplasia.
  • Because ACV is rich in potassium, it is beneficial for dogs with diuretic or heart problems.
  • Apple cider vinegar also balances digestive enyzymes in the body, so it is a good remedy for food poisoning and digestive upsets such as gas and constipation. It also reduces fecal odors.
  • Other benefits of ACV include the prevention of bladder stones, kidney infections, and urinary tract infections.
  • General Detoxifier Use ACV as a general detoxifier and a mild tonic. Long term use of ACV will make your dog more resistant to infections, as well as flea or worm infestations. Start by adding small amounts of ACV to your dog's drinking water and slowly building up to about 1 teaspoon of ACV per 15 pounds of body weight. Some dogs may not like the taste of vinegar in their water. If that's the case for your dog, mix ACV with his food, or mix it with a teaspoonful of raw honey. Within one month or so, you can see whether ACV actually is actually helping your dog. Many dog parents have reported improvements in their dog's health conditions, such as better skin conditions (less scratching and odor), reduced flea population, fewer or total elimination of tear stains on the face, and less painful joints (in older dogs).
  • Rinse for Skin Problems Use ACV as an after-shampoo rinse if your dog has skin problems such as allergies, fleas, or ringworm. To make the vinegar rinse: Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a quart of water. Use it once a week as an after-shampoo rinse. Remember not to rinse off the ACV - just towel your dog dry.
  • You can also use ACV as a foot soak for dogs with itchy paws due to seasonal allergies (e.g. pollen). Dilute 1 cup of ACV with 1-2 cups of water and let your dog soak his paws in the mixture. This can greatly reduce the itching.
  • If your dog has dandruff, try massaging full-strength ACV into his hair coat before shampooing.
  • For minor skin irritations, such as sunburn, calluses, abrasions, you can simply apply full-strength ACV to the affected area(s).
  • Flea Repellent Spray You can also prepare a spray by simply using 50% apple cider vinegar and 50% water. Use a spray bottle and spray your dog's coat after his daily walks (avoid the eyes, nose, and mouth), and you can use it to spray his bedding as well.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] Question would it be safe to add that 1tsp to Bacon's food? He primarily eats ice cubes from our ice maker which we use too and I don't want ACV in my beverages :-) We also just started him on salmon oil in his food, does this server the same purpose as the acv or would it be overkill to use both?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] Question would it be safe to add that 1tsp to Bacon's food? He primarily eats ice cubes from our ice maker which we use too and I don't want ACV in my beverages :-) We also just started him on salmon oil in his food, does this server the same purpose as the acv or would it be overkill to use both?

Salmon oil is given mostly to improve skin and hair quality. It is also a great antioxident which helps the immune system. ACV has many other (extra) benefits so I use both every day.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks for all the information on apple cider vinegar, the article is very informative and I learned a lot about the benefits of adding this to their diets. I didn't realize how many health benefits there are to ACV. This would also benefit people too, from being a natural antiseptic, and anti fungal, for our blood, for the heart, digestion, and urinary tract infections, for detoxification, and for skin as well. The only thing we don't share with the dogs is the fleas, thank goodness lol. It's just another example of products that are healthy and natural , as well as some over the counter medications can be used by both people and animals.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] thanks for the foot soaking info, i'm going to pick up the good acv and soak Lolas toes tomorrow!

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Ok this is great info. I think I am going to try by adding it to their food. Quick question though - is there any harm at all in giving it? Both my dogs are healthy (except for allergies, tear stains, etc... - the usual). I saw a link about acidosis - is this a concern for healthy dogs?
Also to confirm dosage - 1 tablespoon per 50lbs, correct?

Thank you!!!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
I saw a link about acidosis - is this a concern for healthy dogs?
Also to confirm dosage - 1 tablespoon per 50lbs, correct?

Thank you!!!

acidosis is a condition where there it too much acid in the bloodstream.
There are a few causes but the most common ones are kidney disease, diabetes or antifreeze ingestion. This can happen to my Abby because of her failing kidneys but there is no concern for this in a healthy dog.

ACV actually helps prevent and reduce acidosis. I could explain how but it's all chemistry and it makes my head hurt. It has something to do with the potassium to acid ratio and how the combination alters the body's ph levels. When Abby was first diagnosed this was on the list of the concerns that her IMS brought to my attention, I spent DAYS trying to understand it and all I came out of the experience was "it's good stuff"

1 tablespoon twice a day in water will do wonders.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur

acidosis is a condition where there it too much acid in the bloodstream.
There are a few causes but the most common ones are kidney disease, diabetes or antifreeze ingestion. This can happen to my Abby because of her failing kidneys but there is no concern for this in a healthy dog.

ACV actually helps prevent and reduce acidosis. I could explain how but it's all chemistry and it makes my head hurt. It has something to do with the potassium to acid ratio and how the combination alters the body's ph levels. When Abby was first diagnosed this was on the list of the concerns that her IMS brought to my attention, I spent DAYS trying to understand it and all I came out of the experience was "it's good stuff"

1 tablespoon twice a day in water will do wonders.

Thank you so much Twice....
do you think adding to food would be ok? They share a water bowl and I refill it a thousand times a day, would be easier to manage dosage if I put it on their food (hopefully this will disguise smell as well!):D

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much Twice....
do you think adding to food would be ok? They share a water bowl and I refill it a thousand times a day, would be easier to manage dosage if I put it on their food (hopefully this will disguise smell as well!):D

I put a tsp of it into Abby's food AND add a tablespoon to the water bowl a couple times a day. I have 4 dogs here now so I have given up on trying to measure who gets how much. The way I figure it, if Abby gets a little extra it won't hurt her at all and if my healthy dogs don't get enough it won't kill them either.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=5605]Momma2Bullies[/MENTION] I put it in Bacon's food last night and he loved it, it also helped mask the :barf: smell of the salmon oil

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.