General Question Blood in stool

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. I just got inside from taking Buddy out to go potty. I know he had 2 bowel movements this morning earlier and it was dark out there so I really did'nt notice anything but just now he had another and there wasn't much but what I did pick up I noticed there was some blood in the stool. He already had parvo back several months ago and was hospitilized for 5 days with that and got thru it ok. Currently he is getting dipped every week on Fridays ( Miltaban) for Demodex.. ( he has had 2 so far) He is acting fine so far and don't know if I should rush him off to the vet or not, quite yet. Is this something that can happen normally or is there definatly something wrong? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks Hero

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Do call your vet just to be safe since he's had parvo and the demodex. Not that they are related. How much blood was in his poop and what did it look like? Could be from straining to go too if he's stools are really hard.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I would call the vet too, but it might be from straining to hard, might have broke some blood vessels. Was it bright red or dark? Bright red means fresh blood.

L

Lucy-licious

blood in the stool is always worrysome :hug: if its a smear its possible as Jeannie said that its from straining.
bright red blood indicates its from near the rectum..dark blood burgundy would be from further up the intestines and black tar like stool would be digested blood. the latter 2 need a vet ASAP..the first depends on the amount...a tiny bit with a hard stool and I would think maybe a little nick near his anus you could sheck this by wiping his bottom and see if any blood is on the wipe. a puddle of red blood or large amount would obviously indicate trauma and need a vet xx

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Has he had diarrhea the last few times or is it hard? Diarrhea can cause this and as the others have said above a hard pop ca n cause it as well. I would still just give your vet a call just to make sure.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. He did strain I believe. I mean at first I was AGAIN Buddy? and he was in his crouching position for longer than usual. There wasn't much stool and the blood was on the outside of his poop and looked fresh and like it was almost running down the stool. I think I will call the vet as suggested. Just to make sure. I have been giving him slices of apples lately. Macs and I was wondering if the skin on the apples could have done it. Also there is a lot of debris.. tree limbs. sticks ect outdoors due to this storm that passed by here but I always try to make sure he doesn't get any in his mouth or swallow any.. I guess I will call one of the vets techs and ask although I am sure they will say bring him in ( $$) I swear I have had more problems with Buddy and hope that after reaching adulthood he might become more stable.. Thanks everyone. Hero OO I forgot to mention no- no Diarrhea and he is acting fine.. playing as usual..

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
blood in the stool is always worrysome :hug: if its a smear its possible as Jeannie said that its from straining.
bright red blood indicates its from near the rectum..dark blood burgundy would be from further up the intestines and black tar like stool would be digested blood. the latter 2 need a vet ASAP..the first depends on the amount...a tiny bit with a hard stool and I would think maybe a little nick near his anus you could sheck this by wiping his bottom and see if any blood is on the wipe. a puddle of red blood or large amount would obviously indicate trauma and need a vet xx

The nurse has spoken. ;) Great advice given above!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I bet it's just for straining then but always good to at least call the vet and they can tell you if you should come in or not. And if there's sticks, etc in there, well can imagine what those do as they're coming down the shoot.

[MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION], that's great info on the different colors of blood.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
It sounds like it could be from straining or constipation as others have described above.

Just an an addition, when Herman's bottom was red and appeared irritated, both Desitin and Butt Paste were recommended to me to soothe it - if Buddys seems irritated (like red/swollen) :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It sounds like it could be from straining or constipation as others have described above.

Just an an addition, when Herman's bottom was red and appeared irritated, both Desitin and Butt Paste were recommended to me to soothe it - if Buddys seems irritated (like red/swollen) :)
Ok I gotta ask, what the heck is Butt Paste? :)

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I havn't really noticed that Elearn but he is up now and about to go outside again. I haven't called the vet YET. I am watching him closely and he seems fine ( fingers crossed) I am hoping it is nothing. Buddy is a great puppy but it is like I got a lemon when it comes to health issues. I checked out the breeder from several sources and knew ebd's can have problems and I am hoping after he reachs adulthood these health things will level out. He is not even over the demodex yet Thanks Hero

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.