Help Needed! HELP! Picked Penny up from boarding.....

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
& her face is swollen on one side...her right eye is really puffy. I immediately gave her 2 benadryl. I feel like her tongue is swollen - I can't see the back of her throat when I open her mouth. She has hives on her back legs.

I called our vet & they said to do the benadryl and wait to see if she gets any better. I took a 10:30 appt. We haven't been very happy with this vet & when we were in last time my husband & I both said we were going to switch.

I'm so worried! I called another vet locally & they said no openings - give her the benadryl.

There is one other I am waiting for them to open at 8:00.

WWYD??????

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: did you ask them what they gave her any treats or food that you don't know that's so crazy I would say give her the benadryl I hope she gets better an you figure out what happened I would be mad at the boarding place I would want some answer's

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
We just got back from the vet - thank goodness!! When I called the vet's office I talked to a tech bc the doctor wasn't in yet. As soon as he got in, they called back and he wanted us to come in right away. She got a steroid shot and a few days of prednisone to take until the swelling is down. When I opened her mouth, I could not see the back of her throat -- only swollen tongue. So scary!! We don't love this vet's manner, but he is a good dr & knows his bulldogs (does the rescue group care in our are). I was so thankful that we got right in. Her eye is already beginning to go down.

I'm just thankful we got home when we did -- we almost didn't make our flight back into town last night because of the coming storm. I'm so thankful that I was able to pick her up when I did. Who knows what kind of shape she would have been in. We hardly ever go out of town & we generally have a neighbor watch her if it's for a night or so only. We were gone Friday - last night and didn't have anyone to watch Penny, so we had to board her. We have never had allergy problems before. The kennel is really good about only giving her food/treats. They have a "profile" they write everything on in front of me & post for each dog. I know they're careful, so I don't think that was it. She had a bad hive breakout a few weeks ago bc of fall allergies, so who knows. I'm just glad we got her taken care of & we will probably board her at the vet's office in the future just to be safe. He also said we should pre-medicate her as well.

Whew! This morning is off to an interesting start! Now, I have to brave the grocery store!

L

Lucy-licious

so glad Miss Penny is ok and on her way to feeling better. maybe a bug bit her...with her face being swollen like that its a possibility. so relieved she's ok though xx

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Glad to hear the good news and that she's feeling better! It was fantastic that the vet was able to squeeze you in!

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], I haven't been around a ton, and just saw the pic of Emma! She is growing into such a beauty!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad to hear you found a good vet and got her in and she is doing better. Poor little Penny.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thank goodness you picked her up when you did!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], I haven't been around a ton, and just saw the pic of Emma! She is growing into such a beauty!!
It's been awhile since I've seen you here. Thank you, she's growing up fast. She'll be a year old on 11/29. She just weighed in last night at 41.4...she's lean and petite. I'm glad you were able to get back in time to get Penny to the vet. :)

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Thanks everyone! I really panicked when I got her home & really saw what a mess she was. She's been snoozin' all morning & I'm glad I'm home from work with her given the tongue/throat swelling situation earlier today.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.