URGENT!!! help!! breathing problems / phlegm / runny nose / vomitting

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
My bully has been vomiting quite a bit for the last few days, hasn't been drinking much water or wanting to eat.. (been feeding her raw for over 5 months)

It also seems like she has phlegm? when she breathes it sounds like she has snot or boogers in there almost like a runny nose!

Also she's been reverse sneezing and its rather scary :(

Any ideas?

Scheduling a appointment to the vet soon.

Im going to try benedryl. Shes reversed sneezed before but never vomitted like this unless she was sick, and the runny nose /phlegm is a first as well!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Not eating or drinking makes me nervous. Vomit can be many things but if they rnt drinking they will dehydrate quickly. Pedialyte can help. I would feed chicken and rice (bland diet) but if this has been ongoing I would highly recommend the vet.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
When feeding raw I don't see the point in starting to cook her foor or give rice if you haven't done so in the last 5 months. If there is anything that hasn't got much bone and that she really likes try to give her that. Tripe is good for the stomach too. If she does not eat try to at least force some water down her throat with a syringe. You can take her to the bathroom and put hot water running to get some steam in the room, that will hopefully help some with the breathing.
When Usko refuses to eat I give him Nutriplus gel. It has a lot of energy and nutrients and it's easy just put on his tongue. I have always have that in the house.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Reverse sneezing IS scary to me too. Bo's done it a couple of times and it makes my heart stop!

Any sustained vomiting means a trip to the vet for me. When these two don't want to eat, that's immediate cause for suspicion and careful monitoring. Like people, some times a dog is "off" on a day or maybe even two -- but anything after that, I would be concerned. Has the dog pooped? Peed? Dehydration IS something to be concerned about. A few days in the hospital with an IV is expensive and not necessary if a visit to the vet is timely.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
As with people any time vomiting, diarrhea , loss of appetite, or not drinking for a few days this warrants a trip to the doctor. Treat your dog the same way, not eating and especially not drinking can cause dehydration very quickly. The breathing problems, phlegm , and runny nose could be a sign of an allergy, and you could try a Benadryl, but it could also be a sign of an infection, or pneumonia. Since this has already been going on for a few days, and your dog is still sick, I wouldn't wait a few more days to make a vet appointment, I would go right away. Also does your dog have any fever, because that can cause even further dehydration. You don't mention how old your dog is , is he a pup, or a little older, these are factors to think about too, as just like people you can have more complications in younger or older aged people and dogs. I would take your baby to the vet sooner rather than later. I hope he is feeling better soon, keep us posted .

L

Lucy-licious

I think a definite trip to the vet is needing....loss of appetite and no drinking us a red light to me. Hope he feels better soon x

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i agree several days of no eating or drinking and vomiting is a trip to the vet for me. see if they will lick ice cubes. i did that for sarah when she was sick with a fever to keep her hydrated. keep us updated.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As others have said, a trip to the vet would be best, since she is not drinking much and vomiting for a few days.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
My bully has been vomiting quite a bit for the last few days, hasn't been drinking much water or wanting to eat.. (been feeding her raw for over 5 months)

It also seems like she has phlegm? when she breathes it sounds like she has snot or boogers in there almost like a runny nose!

Also she's been reverse sneezing and its rather scary :(

Any ideas?

Scheduling a appointment to the vet soon.

Im going to try benedryl. Shes reversed sneezed before but never vomitted like this unless she was sick, and the runny nose /phlegm is a first as well!

Any update?

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I would definitely recommend the vet. Sounds eerily similar to how Delilah was when she had pneumonia and ended up aspirating...she about died on me she got so bad. I had to take her to the emergency vet numerous times in one week. Worst couple weeks of my life. She kept getting misdiagnosed so she wasn't doing too well.

I really hope your pup is getting better. Keep us updated!

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Hey guys, Snowy is doing better now. I didn't take her to the vet but I started feeding her blue Wilderness chicken and she is slowly starting to eat, she has been drinking water as well.

I think she may have got tired of the raw food or something.. Getting her to eat it would be a hit or miss every other week..

when i mentioned she was vomiting i stated that wrong, she vomited for one day only, or a day and a half, these last couple of days she hasnt vomited , she just seemed to have a loss of appetite

when i left to work i left her in her crate with a bowl of raw beef , and a bowl of kibble.. when i came home the beef was untouched and the kibble was gone.. thats when i went to buy more kibble

Once i switched to raw her skin / coat has got a lot better, she still sheds a lot but she had pink bumps and rashes or hives that would itch her, raw feeding fixed all that, i hope going back to kibble wont cause any problems, i am trying a different kind.

She seems okay just not eating as much as a normal bulldog, she laying on the floor next to me playing with her nylabone..

She still seems to have a phlegm or a runny nose is what it sounds like. Benedryl does help but i have to give it to her every 8 hours.. She never had this allergy before. Shes a little over a year old.

Ill give you guys another update soon.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.