Help Needed! Red Bumps on face of my bully! help!

marleyk

May 27, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlee
Hey guys,

im confused with all these threads , my bully is around 6 months old and i have been feeding him Earthborn hollistic grain free food ever since. He was on meadow feast for a two months and i started seeing spots of hair missing around his body and i thought it was the food so i tried to switch him on the Coastal Catch formula. i found his hair got better with less hair patches gone and a nicer shinny coat. But my boy has yeasty eyes and bumps along his mouth and at the bottom of his eye folds... i always wipe his eyes and dry them over 4 times a day.. sometimes i give him liquid benadryl to help and it does seem to work somewhat. i have read people give their dogs 1 pill of benedryl a day or one pill per 25 lbs. Some even say zyrtec 1 a day is best.. it hurts me to see my boy with these red bumpy sores around his face.. it even bleeds sometimes. i tried the desitin thing but like with my other dog, he has always hated it and run around like crazy rubbing it everywhere so he can get it off his face. maybe upping the benedryl or zyrtec may help? but also i was thinking of switching his food but that im not so sure what brands.. i thought earth born was one of the top brands but it could be causing him these skin problems.. we dont have Fromm dog food in hawaii, but there are Akana, blue buffalo, aveda, taste of the wild, a couple others. i dont know if this should be in bully health or bully nutrition forums since it was a hybrid problem.

please help if you have ideas

Thanks,
Steven

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It sounds like food related, sometimes the immune system can get run do too from food switching often, I know how you feel, I switched food lots. I give mine 1 tablet of Benedryl per 25 pounds. Can you post a picture of him?

OP
M

marleyk

May 27, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlee
yes, hes sleeping right now, let me get a couple shots of his face

OP
M

marleyk

May 27, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlee
20121027_123341.jpg20121027_123355.jpg20121027_123357.jpg20121027_123412.jpg20121027_123426.jpg20121027_123454.jpg

Sorry i dont know why these are upside down or rotated incorrectly

OP
M

marleyk

May 27, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlee
hes saying dad dont bother me, im trying to rest!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, I see, It looks like normal puppy acne and redness from cleaning often. Desitin does work, but don't put so much on that he can wipe it off. :) Just a tiny bit and rub it in good. If he can get it off, you have too much on, and don't get too close to his eyes. His tear area appears red /pink from over cleansing. I use to do Griz four times a day also,and it would get a little sore like that too. now that he's almost two, he doesn't need to be cleaned as often, not as wet so to speak. just a little Desitin there will go a long way. By the way, what a handsome boy. :2thumbs:

The chin area is always hanging out there and gets bumped and touches everything they do. Snif, eat, drink, play, the chin hit's first. Thus the acne.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
id cut down on the cleaning and give the benadryl and see if it gets less red. could be food related or just irritated its hard to tell. can you do a bland diet of like beef and rice for a few days and see if it helps. you may need another food switch but less try less cleaning and see what happens then if no change i can help you find another food.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
I have the exact same problem with my boy....totally the same thing. " chin acne".... He's had it before, antibiotics clear it up but it is a manifestation of allergies. I am on food rollercoaster with my bullies....they were on wellness simple duck &oatmeal but I am now transitioning to wellness core ocean ( grain free). I suspect allergies to grains and poultry. But if this doesn't work, I will need to do major allergy testing etc. That being said, we're off to the vet Monday morning because his poor face is out of control :(. You may need antibiotics to get it under control and try again with new food?
I will tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]..... She might be able to help you with food, I am not familiar with the brands you've mentioned ( not all are readily available up here!)
good luck....keep us posted!

OP
M

marleyk

May 27, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlee
thanks everyone, i will cut down on wiping his face and put a little desitin on there and give him benedryl. if this doesnt cut it i will ask cowsmom for help for food guidance also. He is at 52 lbs at 6 months and feeding him 1.5 cups 2 times a day.

OP
M

marleyk

May 27, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlee
thank you for the compliment on his looks lol he is quite the charmer. mostly though, i noticed he has very nice teeth haha

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
thank you for the compliment on his looks lol he is quite the charmer. mostly though, i noticed he has very nice teeth haha

oooyyyyyy my pet peeve is bad oral hygiene,,,,, on people

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some great info above so I am not going to add anything except he is a handsome boy.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.