General Question 1/4 inch square of fur looks different than the rest of her fur?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would just keep an eye on it and as long as it does not get bigger or she lose hair there, then I wouldn't worry about it. It could be when she was younger she may have gotten injured there.

OP
L

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
Just got back from the vet. She thinks it was a bug or spider bite and when the scab fell off ...it took the bit of fur with it (apparently that can happen when scabs come off )and that is why it was a bald spot all at once. She prescribed topical drops and said she did not feel it was dermodex. She said it would be a more irregular area of fur loss, etc. so I feel good that we took her in and we will watch the spot and make sure there are no other spots. Thanks for all your input and help.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh im so glad it was nothing more than that but its always good to check these things and catch it early if it is something more. :D

OP
L

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
Hate to say it.....but that is what Gunny's spot of Demodex looked like.....he never lost fur where it was, just thinned a little.

2 weeks later UPDATE: the spot was beginning to widen..so I took her to a animal dermatologist ( I did not return to the first vet who thought it was a scab...I wanted skin experts). Anyway...they scraped the spot and looked under the microscope....and found active mites... They put her on prescription of Advantage drops on the skin every 2 weeks and to come back in 4 weeks for a follow up... I thought others would like to know the outcome and update.

OP
L

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
Herman currently has a spot like that - it's where he lost hair from demodex (his spot was bald). Its growing back, but it's the funniest thing, his larger spots have filled in perfectly, but this little spot continues to try to play catch up to the rest of the hair around it.

If it's getting bigger, then dont chance it being demodex and get it scraped. Also, check carefully for other spots too in case it is and you can monitor those as well.

Thought you would like to know...it was demodex.... I just posted an update...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.