Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1/4 inch square of fur looks different than the rest of her fur?

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 1/4 inch square of fur looks different than the rest of her fur?

Quote Originally Posted by Little miss Maggie View Post
    We have had her since August ...we feed her avoderm and mix in some type of meat...ground turkey or steak or chicken

That's exactly what I'm feeding just now, I'm looking to improve there coats for the winter.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
    Likes (Received)

A vet has to diagnose it. I just noticed it on Gunny and happened to be in the vet, he gave me a topical prescription.
    I am a master at planking......

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Herman currently has a spot like that - it's where he lost hair from demodex (his spot was bald). Its growing back, but it's the funniest thing, his larger spots have filled in perfectly, but this little spot continues to try to play catch up to the rest of the hair around it.

If it's getting bigger, then dont chance it being demodex and get it scraped. Also, check carefully for other spots too in case it is and you can monitor those as well.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

I would just keep an eye on it and as long as it does not get bigger or she lose hair there, then I wouldn't worry about it. It could be when she was younger she may have gotten injured there.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Is it a mole, perhaps?

Pooper scooper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Magnolia
    Likes (Received)

Just got back from the vet. She thinks it was a bug or spider bite and when the scab fell off ...it took the bit of fur with it (apparently that can happen when scabs come off )and that is why it was a bald spot all at once. She prescribed topical drops and said she did not feel it was dermodex. She said it would be a more irregular area of fur loss, etc. so I feel good that we took her in and we will watch the spot and make sure there are no other spots. Thanks for all your input and help.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

oh im so glad it was nothing more than that but its always good to check these things and catch it early if it is something more.

Pooper scooper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Magnolia
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny B View Post
    Hate to say it.....but that is what Gunny's spot of Demodex looked like.....he never lost fur where it was, just thinned a little.
    2 weeks later UPDATE: the spot was beginning to widen..so I took her to a animal dermatologist ( I did not return to the first vet who thought it was a scab...I wanted skin experts). Anyway...they scraped the spot and looked under the microscope....and found active mites... They put her on prescription of Advantage drops on the skin every 2 weeks and to come back in 4 weeks for a follow up... I thought others would like to know the outcome and update.

Pooper scooper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Magnolia
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by elearn View Post
    Herman currently has a spot like that - it's where he lost hair from demodex (his spot was bald). Its growing back, but it's the funniest thing, his larger spots have filled in perfectly, but this little spot continues to try to play catch up to the rest of the hair around it.

If it's getting bigger, then dont chance it being demodex and get it scraped. Also, check carefully for other spots too in case it is and you can monitor those as well.
    Thought you would like to know...it was demodex.... I just posted an update...

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little miss Maggie View Post
    Thought you would like to know...it was demodex.... I just posted an update...

I'm glad you found out what is going on with Gunny. The demodex will clear up quickly and she'll be good as new.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Uni & Boadie
    Likes (Received)

looks like demodex to meee. or maybe a scar...
    In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads