General Question Demodex ( How many dips?)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Have never dealt with mange (knock on wood) so I cant offer any help. Hopefully it works fast for you tho, poor thing.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Delilah had demodex on her head as a puppy. She had 3 dips, I believe.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm having a hard time trying to picture what a "dip" is. I'm picturing grabbing them under the arms and dipping them in a pot of medicine. Kinda like dipping a carrot in ranch.

Sorry...no experience here with dips either. Vegas had mange as a 5 month old...but we used ivermectin liquid on his food and a topical cream.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Well he will have his third this Friday.. I think I am going to ask for a scrape at that time and see if we can do something topical after. He is there the whole day and doesnt feel so hot after and sleeps. Thanks everyone.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I'm having a hard time trying to picture what a "dip" is. I'm picturing grabbing them under the arms and dipping them in a pot of medicine. Kinda like dipping a carrot in ranch.

Sorry...no experience here with dips either. Vegas had mange as a 5 month old...but we used ivermectin liquid on his food and a topical cream.

LOL basically they give them a bath with medicated shampoo (benzoyl peroxide) to help flush out the hair follicles. Then they sponge on the mitaban (the dip solution) to drench their coats and allow them to air dry (they cant dry them off with towels or anything). Its the same as a flea dip.

No dog dunking occurs LOL

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
You know the more I think about this, and the fact that they are doing dips vs other treatments, I wonder if it is because of the parvo and all the meds be had been on and that, although a pain, maybe doesn't interact with all the stuff (meds, etc) that Buddy has been on. All oral/injected meds can be hard on dogs (well, everyone) and if dips can fight it, without having to overload him internally, that could be a smart move. As well as the fact that topical routes can take quite awhile to resolve and with his compromised immune system, it could take even longer and continue to spread. Just my random thoughts for the morning.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Gunny. I heard my vet say.. WE do the dips here. like she knew.> I knew. there were other options.lol I decided to let her do her thing. I am insured but they only pay for the cost of the Miltiban $45.00 not the prebath. The total is $75.00 ( $77 w/tax) every Friday. I stopped mentioning to her ( my vet) I read this or I use a forum because she gets defensive and say things like don't believe everything you read online.. She even said something about THOSE CHAT ROOMS. lol I didn't even let her know it was a forum for people who own ebd's who share their info ect. When I was switching Buddy over to a grain free food and asked her about it she rolled her eyes. She is a breeder of frenchies and has mostly french bulldog clients who bought puppys from her. I have found a new vet. He is a bit further from where I live ( 17 miles) not terrible but I am letting her finish with this demodex and at that point moving on to this new guy.. Thanks everyone Hero

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.