General Question Demodex ( How many dips?)

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. My 6 month old puppy had a mark on his head and I brought him to the vet who did a scrape and she came back and said he has demodex. He has had 2 dips so far and I am just wondering those who have went the dip route. How many dips did your puppy have and possibly what can I look forward to. Thanks Hero

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
71 views and no answers. Thanks everyone

I don't know, I'm sorry you didn't get any answers. I will do some research and get right back to you, hang on. give me a few minutes.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Sorry. Most of us that had Dermodex didn't have dips. It took me 8 weeks going the topical route with one small spot.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I sent you a PM with a decent site and all the treatments are mentioned there, but not a time limit. Is Buddy getting any results with the dips?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ive heard of them getting like 3 or 4 dips i think it was. one member here started with dips and it didnt help then went to ivermectin and its clearing up now.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Just got on here, so if it was a small spot I would have gone the topical route, as dips are hard on them. We had a Beagle many years ago and it took 3 dips. Some times you need to be patient, as a lot of the views are from guest that can not post.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i think [MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION] did the dips ill tag and see. they also say do some immune boosting like probiotics and some have used neem oil on the fur to help kill the mites.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I dont have any experience with this. I do know that adding yogurt (probiotics) to help boost his immune system.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I, too, find it odd that the vet recommended dips when it's just one tiny spot. But I don't think there's a limit for them. It varies with each vet. Don't forget to boost Buddy's immune system since that's how the mites take over.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
oh yea, it will take a few dips because of the life cycle of the mites. i think it's about a 3 week life cycle from egg to adult, the dips will kill the adults, but not the eggs. that is why it takes maybe 2 or 3 dips. was Buddy positive the last time you took him - did he get a scrape?

please keep checking him to make sure there are no new spots, if you see new spots ask the vet to scrape those too.

in the meantime, you're doing all the right things to help him fight it internally. he should be over it in no time. but remember he is still recovering from parvo so that is a lot going on with him right now as he's healing.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hi, I've had THREE bulldogs with mange and dips have become a really uncommon way to treat. My latest case of mange, my 2 year old Truman, was treated with a 45 day course of Ivermectin, which seems to be the most common and less inconvenient treatment. Linus had the dips. He had six dips every four weeks I think? In any case, they dip the dog, keep him or her until they dry, and then repeat six times. It worked but it was a hassle! But I think the reason you didn't receive many replies is because this is a bit of a dated treatment for mange.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. He has had 2 dips and has 2 spots although I think the dips are helping. not sure. They keep him all say so he can dry and sleeps a day after . Doesn't sleep all day but not the energy level he normally has. Thanks everyone. Hero

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Thanks everyone. He has had 2 dips and has 2 spots although I think the dips are helping. not sure. They keep him all say so he can dry and sleeps a day after . Doesn't sleep all day but not the energy level he normally has. Thanks everyone. Hero

Dont worry, it will work. Keep watching the spots and you will see the skin change or the hair grow back. Then you will know it's going away. Just make sure they check both spots when you bring him back each time - and not just dipping him without checking first.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.