I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Demodex ( How many dips?)

Hi, I've had THREE bulldogs with mange and dips have become a really uncommon way to treat. My latest case of mange, my 2 year old Truman, was treated with a 45 day course of Ivermectin, which seems to be the most common and less inconvenient treatment. Linus had the dips. He had six dips every four weeks I think? In any case, they dip the dog, keep him or her until they dry, and then repeat six times. It worked but it was a hassle! But I think the reason you didn't receive many replies is because this is a bit of a dated treatment for mange.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Bully Bootie Duty
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone. He has had 2 dips and has 2 spots although I think the dips are helping. not sure. They keep him all say so he can dry and sleeps a day after . Doesn't sleep all day but not the energy level he normally has. Thanks everyone. Hero

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hero4u2b View Post
    Thanks everyone. He has had 2 dips and has 2 spots although I think the dips are helping. not sure. They keep him all say so he can dry and sleeps a day after . Doesn't sleep all day but not the energy level he normally has. Thanks everyone. Hero
    Dont worry, it will work. Keep watching the spots and you will see the skin change or the hair grow back. Then you will know it's going away. Just make sure they check both spots when you bring him back each time - and not just dipping him without checking first.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Have never dealt with mange (knock on wood) so I cant offer any help. Hopefully it works fast for you tho, poor thing.

Delilah's Personal Slave Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

Delilah had demodex on her head as a puppy. She had 3 dips, I believe.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I'm having a hard time trying to picture what a "dip" is. I'm picturing grabbing them under the arms and dipping them in a pot of medicine. Kinda like dipping a carrot in ranch.

Sorry...no experience here with dips either. Vegas had mange as a 5 month old...but we used ivermectin liquid on his food and a topical cream.

Bully Bootie Duty
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Well he will have his third this Friday.. I think I am going to ask for a scrape at that time and see if we can do something topical after. He is there the whole day and doesnt feel so hot after and sleeps. Thanks everyone.

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    I'm having a hard time trying to picture what a "dip" is. I'm picturing grabbing them under the arms and dipping them in a pot of medicine. Kinda like dipping a carrot in ranch.

Sorry...no experience here with dips either. Vegas had mange as a 5 month old...but we used ivermectin liquid on his food and a topical cream.

LOL basically they give them a bath with medicated shampoo (benzoyl peroxide) to help flush out the hair follicles. Then they sponge on the mitaban (the dip solution) to drench their coats and allow them to air dry (they cant dry them off with towels or anything). Its the same as a flea dip.

No dog dunking occurs LOL

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
    Likes (Received)

You know the more I think about this, and the fact that they are doing dips vs other treatments, I wonder if it is because of the parvo and all the meds be had been on and that, although a pain, maybe doesn't interact with all the stuff (meds, etc) that Buddy has been on. All oral/injected meds can be hard on dogs (well, everyone) and if dips can fight it, without having to overload him internally, that could be a smart move. As well as the fact that topical routes can take quite awhile to resolve and with his compromised immune system, it could take even longer and continue to spread. Just my random thoughts for the morning.
    I am a master at planking......

Bully Bootie Duty
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Gunny. I heard my vet say.. WE do the dips here. like she knew.> I knew. there were other options.lol I decided to let her do her thing. I am insured but they only pay for the cost of the Miltiban $45.00 not the prebath. The total is $75.00 ( $77 w/tax) every Friday. I stopped mentioning to her ( my vet) I read this or I use a forum because she gets defensive and say things like don't believe everything you read online.. She even said something about THOSE CHAT ROOMS. lol I didn't even let her know it was a forum for people who own ebd's who share their info ect. When I was switching Buddy over to a grain free food and asked her about it she rolled her eyes. She is a breeder of frenchies and has mostly french bulldog clients who bought puppys from her. I have found a new vet. He is a bit further from where I live ( 17 miles) not terrible but I am letting her finish with this demodex and at that point moving on to this new guy.. Thanks everyone Hero

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads