General Question Crusty nose crumbling away?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I feel terrible but I let Linus' nose get pretty dry over the last month or so. I finally got on top of everything and starting applying Aquaphor twice a day. I'm noticing now when I put it on, pieces of Linus' nose are crumbling off. It's a bit alarming but is this normal for healing a dry nose? Is it painful? After I gently rub the Aquaphor on his nose, it's like there's black, sprinkle-sized pieces of nose sloughing off.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I've noticed things like that with several dogs that I've groomed and put Vaseline on. I think it's normal. The bad stuff has to fall off first to heal, I think.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
yes normal, build up of almost callus like skin, this happens to all of mine except Scrimps, just a corner of her little tiny nose.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
This happened when we first got Punkin. It scared us how crusty his nose was and the day after we applied aquaphor, the whole top later fell off! We thought his nose was literally going to shrink in size. It's been over a year now and his nose significantly improved. Still a little crusty but at least 'normal' in size. Phew! It seems the layer very slowly grows back. I'm sure Linus' will be the same. :)

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Haha - good to know - thanks everyone! It's just really strange to see chunks of nose falling off! :(

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
We use a warm sanatized wash cloth on Molly's. Gently rubbing off the crusty and dirt. Then put snout soother or auquaphor on. It is weird to see the chunks of nose bits coming off.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
It is normal and like you I was worried when it happened with Molly ... I battle the dry nose on her and it seems to be a never ending process but 3 days on Aquaphor and pretty nose for a few weeks then right back on with applying again ... I do wonder how often I can apply without hurting her tho is every couple weeks too much?

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: wow Franklin nose is really dry but never crumbly when I see his nose dry I stick my finger in his mouth an get some saliva an put it on his nose an if It's really bad I put some Vaseline on it but he always licks it off so I'm scared he will get sick

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yea this is normal when your put stuff on the nose after being dry.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
It is normal and like you I was worried when it happened with Molly ... I battle the dry nose on her and it seems to be a never ending process but 3 days on Aquaphor and pretty nose for a few weeks then right back on with applying again ... I do wonder how often I can apply without hurting her tho is every couple weeks too much?

I think you can apply it as often as you like. On really bad days, Punks gets his nose shinnied almost every night.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Can I tell you guys, I have tried everything, including vitamin e oil the vet recommended that I didn't see much difference. It'd been dry for a month now. Well, last weekend I got a tube of 99 cent plain Carmex lip balm, unscented (I saw lip balm mentioned on another forum) from wal-mart and put it on our bully's nose. Well, it was intensely better the next day and has been great all week!!!! I put a little more on last night and it's looking 100% better. Nose has no indentations, is cool and wettish, and back to black. :) Just turn the dial so enough is exposed so you don't scrape the nose with the plastic sides and apply like you would to your lips. I keep it with his doggie things so no one goes to use it, haha. Like everything put on his nose, he didn't like it, but it worked!!

PJayzBullie

May 24, 2016
Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Melvin (2013), BabyPhat (2005-13)
Can I tell you guys, I have tried everything, including vitamin e oil the vet recommended that I didn't see much difference. It'd been dry for a month now. Well, last weekend I got a tube of 99 cent plain Carmex lip balm, unscented (I saw lip balm mentioned on another forum) from wal-mart and put it on our bully's nose. Well, it was intensely better the next day and has been great all week!!!! I put a little more on last night and it's looking 100% better. Nose has no indentations, is cool and wettish, and back to black. :) Just turn the dial so enough is exposed so you don't scrape the nose with the plastic sides and apply like you would to your lips. I keep it with his doggie things so no one goes to use it, haha. Like everything put on his nose, he didn't like it, but it worked!!

Bulliemommi...This idea is fab. My bullie is getting a bit of crust on the side of his nose. And I personally looove Carmex lip balm (unscented) when I'm on the ski slopes because it works. I never thought to use this on Melvin's nose. I am going to give this a try. Thanks so much!!
da5152db283de6e1f64ba0e76b8689db.jpg

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
You know its crazy, I forgot all about using the Carmex. He hasn't had a crusty nose in a while but I am going to get some again to have on hand for him. I need to get another tube! Thanks for bumping this, hope it works for you!

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
This topic was just covered in the above thread entitled " Hyperkeratosis of the Nose" which was started by me.
I have been battling this for years. First with Vaseline, then with 'Snout Soother', then with Vitamin-E, then with Aquaphor (which I do not recommend because there is a Warning label on the tube warning against this petroleum based product from being ingested).
Keeping the nose "moist" will not protect against chunks of nose falling off, it is a losing battle. I recommend reading up on "Hyperkeratosis of the Nose".

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.