General Question When will she make it through the night?

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
She is 6 months old and goes to bed at 8:30 Pm and then needs to go out to pee around midnight and then again at 3 am (the 3am might be #1 and #2)....I get up with her to let her out....the sleep disruption reminds me of the newborn infant days 23 years ago with our son. Any thoughts on when I'll be able to sleep through? We all go to bed by 8:30 as my husband gets up for work at 4:15 . I would love to be able to sleep say from 8:30 until even 3 am. It's the 11 pm/midnight that hurts the most. Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
take away her water say around 6:30 pm, and have her last pee at 8:15pm , then give it to her again in the morning.
just a suggestion

OP
L

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
She is not crated. She sleeps on the floor next to our bed. When she has to "go" she goes to our bedroom door and stands and if I take too long she sometimes whimpers... We have hardwood floors so I can hear her nails as she walks to the door.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Does she go to bed or do 'you' go to bed? Emma was around 6/7 months before we didn't have to take her out anymore. She was able to hold her bladder all night for the most part by that age. She still occasionally had to be let out. She sleeps in the bed with us so what I did if I woke up out she went whether she was sleeping up until about the 6 month stage. What you may want to if you're still up is to let her out one more time before you fall asleep. We usually watch TV for a bit after going to bed so one of us would take her back outside. I think that's going to be your success in her going all night without having to potty.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I see that she sleeps on the floor. That's good though that she lets you know she needs to go out. Is she actually peeing when she's let out or does she just go out to explore? Get her back out about 9:30/10 and I bet you see a difference in her waking you up to go out. :)

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I see that she sleeps on the floor. That's good though that she lets you know she needs to go out. Is she actually peeing when she's let out or does she just go out to explore? Get her back out about 9:30/10 and I bet you see a difference in her waking you up to go out. :)

That's a very good point as well, when Bacon was a puppy he would wake up and cry, we would take him outside and he would just wander around and not pee.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Raven just turned a year old last weekend and she still gets me up at 3 sometimes. She doesn't play though, she goes right out and does her pee and poo. Funny thing is her water is up by 8:30 and she has her dinner by 6:30. It's killing me as well. She sleeps in both her crate and sometimes the bed with me.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's a very good point as well, when Bacon was a puppy he would wake up and cry, we would take him outside and he would just wander around and not pee.
Dogs are famous for this, mine included, and it doesn't matter their age. They go outside but just because you want them to do their business they may want to do other things like check out the yard. I'm always nagging Mike when he lets them out for the evening - "did they go potty I ask him"? Know what he says, lol, "well I let them out". Dohhhhhhh.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
No she does her business ...which is great...

I guess the upside is that she lets you know. God knows it's a miserable thing to step down from the bed in the middle of the night when you yourself have to go and end up stepping in pee or poo.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It shouldn't be long before she sleeps all night. A crate may help. We do not restrict water from ours at all and they are crate trained and it seems to help.

OP
L

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
I guess the upside is that she lets you know. God knows it's a miserable thing to step down from the bed in the middle of the night when you yourself have to go and end up stepping in pee or poo.
I am grateful that she lets me know... I will be more grateful....when she lets me know closer to 4:15. Appreciate the thoughts and ideas....

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Wow that is really surprising ... Seamus sleeps in his crate at night and has been able to sleep through the night from around 10-6 since he was 4 months old. He has never had an accident except for the first night when I think we literally scared the poo out of him. Other than that he does great. He gets fed around 6:00 and then goes out to the bathroom for the last time around 9:30ish

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I think she is a very good girl to let you know she has to go!!! You are lucky!! As someone mention before take away water at around 6 pm and take her out before you go to bed. It will get better!!! And yes it is like having a baby all over again!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online