Help Needed! Heavy or labored breathing

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Hi guys!!! I was just wondering if any of your bullies have had the following symptoms after you apply their tick medication. I use K9 advantix II as Frontline was ineffective on Her. I know it burns her or something because she sort of shivers just a little bit. Then later on she feels hot to the touch and her breathing feels fast to me. I have to tell her to go drink water (which she does). It really makes me so nervous! And I hate having to apply this to her,but I know I have too as we live in Vermont and ticks are all over the back yard. I am curious as to any of your bullies experience any of this and If so what do you do??? Could it be that I should not apply to her after bath time?? Any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ooooh. I would be worried too! I hate putting flea stuff on my critters! I had a cat have a horrible reaction to it and I no longer use flea medicine on her. That sure sounds like a reaction to me!

OP
LisaMarie

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] , She is sound asleep now, but the thing is I need to do this once a month because otherwise she would get ticks!! But thanks for your input. Im wondering whether maybe I should give her benadryl after applying it?? What do you think??

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I would try other stuff cause some dogs have gotten really sick an almost died I use the stuff to an never had a problem but other have their dogs gotten really sick kidney failure, seizures, got had the backend paralyzed so if she is shaking I would wash it off with dawn dish soap that's what they say to use

OP
LisaMarie

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=5480]loveabully[/MENTION] oh that is scary!!! I think I will talk to my vet about it and Im gonna google other options too.

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
As stated elsewhere, I would talk to your vet. Now I know who you are! Lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
LisaMarie

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Now I know who you are [MENTION=2150]MatildasMommy[/MENTION] !!!! Thanks for your help!! I will google on this.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I think I would use something else on my dog if they acted like that after applying. Do you let the dog dry after bathing before putting it on.

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
I was wondering about this too...Charlotte doesn't have extreme symptoms like that, but she HATES me putting the flea&tick medicine on, so I was interested to learn if it does actually "burn" or sting. Let us know if you find something better!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I think she had a reaction and would NOT use that particular med on her again.

My cat, CoCo almost died from Frontline (safe for nursing cats & kittens, they said)
she was on death's door for 5 days. I never use any med on her now, my other THREE
cats were fine.

There are natural products that work on sensitive animals, I know living there you must
use something but you could have lost your sweet baby and might the next time!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] uses diatomaceous earth I believe. I personally do not like the topicals so much. Have used a diff brand a couple times and hair fell out where it was applied, creeped me out. Thankfully we don't have much in the way of fleas or ticks tho.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Fortunately for you winter is coming so the tics should be going to bed soon under the snow. I agree I would try something else, there was someone else that posted a few weeks ago about K9 Advantix giving their bully a really bad skin reaction too, let me see if I can find the feed.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Google Dr Karen Becker...she trained as a tradional Vet then went into holistic
and natural healing...great advice for alternatives to the poisons used on our
babies...bullies are so sensitive anyways. Good luck!

OP
LisaMarie

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Thank you all!!! Great sugestions and advice!!! She is doing great but this is something that has happend before. I did some research and there are many number of hollistic recepies that im gonna try. I think this is a very interesting topic and the more I think about it it is a poison after all that we are putting on our dogs and cats. It doesnt make sense. I dont know what I will be using but I dont think I will use any of the ones out there any more after this. [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] , what is it that you use on Miss Gracie??

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I wrote on FB, Lisa, that Tate gets quite agitated and uncomfortable after I apply the Revolution on him. I hate doing this to him plus it worries me. So I'm looking at alternatives as well. With Finn however, it's not a problem at all. Go figure!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.