Help Needed! Jaw is cracking / popping

LolaLover

Oct 24, 2012
Wenatchee, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
LOLA
Dogs can get TMJ. Our dogs jaw started doing the same thing but she was also having some pain opening her mouth. We took her to the vet and he said it was likely she had TMJ. However things got progressively worse and it turned out she had Masticatory myositis. :( I would go to the vet to get it checked out.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I wouldn't worry too much .... for all of you with bullies whose jaws are cracking. Just be more aware of how much they can open their mouths, and if you think that the range is becoming less and less then get your vet to do the test for MMM - Masticatory Muscle Myositis. It is a special blood test that they have to do and will tell you if your bully is suffering from it or not. If so, they will be put on steroids. It's an auto-immune disease.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Thanks. I havent noticed any cracking today. I just fought to get some tissue out his mouth and it's definitely opening up wide now. I'll keep a watch out for anything unusual.

Most Reactions