Thread: Jaw is cracking / popping

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Jaw is cracking / popping

@Meggs19 @gunnyboy - i wonder if its caused by tugging and toys???

when i mentioned all hermans joints are popping to my vet she said that he's still growing and didnt seemed concerned about that.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by elearn View Post
    @Meggs19 @gunnyboy - i wonder if its caused by tugging and toys???

when i mentioned all hermans joints are popping to my vet she said that he's still growing and didnt seemed concerned about that.

Hmmm..I have wondered about that myself. Although, a lot of bullys play rough with toys and tug on them and don't have this. I yelled at my boyfriend to not rough house with him so much since I thought maybe that was doing it to him but he has been tugging and playing since he was a little puppy and never had an issue til now. Tonka is 15 months old. I was thinking of calling a different vet for another opinion. I'm not worried though, I really think it's similar to what some humans experience and has to do with the way a bulldog's face is structured.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
    Likes (Received)

I hope everything's ok. Grace kneed Franklin in the jaw once an his jaw was sore for a couple of days he couldn't even chew a frozen strawberry an then in a couple of days it was ok

Bulldog(s) Names
    LOLA
    Likes (Received)

Dogs can get TMJ. Our dogs jaw started doing the same thing but she was also having some pain opening her mouth. We took her to the vet and he said it was likely she had TMJ. However things got progressively worse and it turned out she had Masticatory myositis. I would go to the vet to get it checked out.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't worry too much .... for all of you with bullies whose jaws are cracking. Just be more aware of how much they can open their mouths, and if you think that the range is becoming less and less then get your vet to do the test for MMM - Masticatory Muscle Myositis. It is a special blood test that they have to do and will tell you if your bully is suffering from it or not. If so, they will be put on steroids. It's an auto-immune disease.

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thanks. I havent noticed any cracking today. I just fought to get some tissue out his mouth and it's definitely opening up wide now. I'll keep a watch out for anything unusual.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads