Other Hot Spots the bad and the ugly of it

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok so my saga of Sarah this summer continues. i am really kinda embarrassed that this happened but wanted to share this so others will know how things can change from one day to the next with bullies. when i left sarah wed morning before last she was normal looking. i came back friday evening to what i knew was a hot spot. cow19-2.jpg actually i thought it was 3 different places. last time she had a small one i treated it before it got moist really and did not have to shave it so i thought ok i can do that again. Wrong. so i began treating the 3 spots i could see and 2 of them started scabbing but the next day the other one was still very very moist. i could clean it and it would get moist again real quick. one time it would look red and another time it would just look normal skin. well it was also very sore it seemed as i tried to cut the hair away saturday evening when it was clear part of it was not getting better and she was having none of it so i left it. i have no clippers so i thought if i could just clip away some hair it could get better. ok so sunday am its not better and she was having an eye issue so to the vets we go. the vet shaved it and omg there was one big hot spot not 3 smaller ones. i was amazed at it. so in 4 days my baby went from normal to this Cow2a.jpgsarahs hot spot.jpgi just want people to understand this happened in 4 days. hot spots can also be itchy as they are healing up as i found out as Tues morning she decided to do this to it as i was outside putting the boys in their pen. i was gone 10 minutes. sarah14.jpg so what am i doing for it? well i stopped the canned food i thought may have started it and started her probiotic back and her joint meds which have vit c in them also. i have duoxo pads ( can be ordered from anywhere really)and chloraseb flush (gotten at entirelypets). hot spots are bacteria and need to be kept dry which is why its so important to shave them so they can start healing. duoxo is Chlorhexadine and chloraseb is that plus and anti fungal and has healing properties to cuts. i also put hydrocortisone on it for itching. Now hibiclenz is excellent to use and i put it on her while bathing. it can be found at any drug store and is pretty cheap. im not using it all the time as its a soap and therefor the area must be wetted then it applied then washed off and sometimes i do not have the time nor energy to do this so i use the others as they dont need to be rinsed off. i must also add the vet gave me anti biotics ( i had some left over from before and i had already started her on them sunday am) to finish out her treatment also as she was to far along.

ok so what does she look like today sarah hot spot 2.jpg this is one week after going to the vets.

So keep in mind that hot spots are nothing to fool with and can get out of control very quickly. if its not caught early then shaving the area is very important as hers healed up nicely after it was shaved. I hope someone can learn from this as i have.

Attachments

• cow19.jpg
    cow19.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

Thanks for the info and the pics Sandra...I have often wondered what hot spots actually look like.
It looks to be healing really well now :hug: for sweet Sarah from Billy and Lucy...and :hug: for you from me xx

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Great info - I've had to deal with hot spots in the past and I always keep the Chlorex shampoo and spray on hand and ready! Hope Sarah is doing better now!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
So glad you started this tread, Jack had two large spots right on the top of his head this summer. I wanted to take pictures and like you said, it's kinda embarrassing. Well, it shouldn't be because it is as common as the day is long. Like Sarah, he too had to go to the vet for a double dose of antibiotics. I always try to keep right on top of these too. Jack can be very aggressive when I'm trying to attend to his needs. And that can hurt. Needless to say, he's all cleared up and Sarah is well on her way to drying up. Thanks again for sharing this very helpful info.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Thanks for sharing this. It's amazing how quickly those hot spots can get out of hand! I hope Sarah is feeling much better now!

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: oh man poor baby I hope she gets better soon it looks like It's healing really well

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
egghunt2.gif

I know with Dublin that things can turn on a dime so when I see something that I am not sure of and is suspicious I head to the vet. Especially with her allergies I never know. For instance, she went to bed one night looking perfectly fine and woke up with the worst case of hive you have ever seen and she was so sick it was scary. About six week ago I noticed this "spot" exactly in the same place that you show on Sarah and I thought it was a bug bite, but very quickly I realized that it wasn't so and then I noticed two more spots on her hind left foot. Yes they were hot spots and it was the first time that she ever had them. Not knowing what they were I had already clipped the hair from them so that was good. The vet gave me Gentamicin ( Betagen) Spray. I am used to things never working the first time with Dublin so I was shocked to find that within a few days they were cleared up. If I notice any appearance of them, I hit them with the spray and they are gone. So far it has kept them from flaring up. As you say, shave the area and keeping it dry is key to a quick response to treatment. Dont' feel bad at all as we know how these things go from nothing to critical so fast with our bullies...:yes:

Last edited by a moderator:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh good grief, poor Sarah! I have never seen a hot spot and hope I never do. That hot spot is huge. So when hot spots start I'm assuming they're small and unnoticeable under their fur?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My Mable used to get them too.

Thanks for posting this, Sandra. I know how hard it was. It just shows me how much you love us and our bully community. :smoochwink:

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Oh good grief, poor Sarah! I have never seen a hot spot and hope I never do. That hot spot is huge. So when hot spots start I'm assuming they're small and unnoticeable under their fur?
yes you can see them they just look like dark spots kinda but its really red and if they are wet then you cant miss the wet fur its like you put ointment on it that never dries up. if you look at the first pic just to the right of her white line of fur there is a line of dark which is one part of the hot spot. then if you look under her ear to the right some you can see another dark place which is one to.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
wow that was scary....i try not to overreact when i see something weird on lola, but NOW I WILL REACT ACCORDINGLY! :) thanks for the visuals..i think it will help many people when they search for help.

one question, has sarah always had problems with hotspots or did they start at a certain age?

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
wow that was scary....i try not to overreact when i see something weird on lola, but NOW I WILL REACT ACCORDINGLY! :) thanks for the visuals..i think it will help many people when they search for help.

one question, has sarah always had problems with hotspots or did they start at a certain age?
no she has never had them before actually and she is 5.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Wow, that's scary. Thanks for the education - will definitely keep my eyes peeled. And so glad your baby is healing up.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.