URGENT!!! Severe Hives

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Last night shortly after eating Lulu broke out in some hives. We had added a tablespoon of pumpkin to her supper because she had the "squirts". We think she got the squirts because we had increased her food amount so therefore had cut it back.We gave her 1.5 tablets of Benadryl and that seemed to have gotten it under control. She went out to pee at 10 pm before bed and came back into the house and literally exploded with hives right before our eyes (see attached photos). We gave her another dose of 1.5 tablets of Benadryl but it did not seem to work this time. She paced around the house being very itchy then finally fell asleep around midnight. I woke up at 5 am to check on her and her eyes were so swollen it looked like she had gone a round with Mike Tyson and she has red spot on her face. I gave her 2 Benadryl tablets at this time. It is now 9 am and the hives on her body seem to be regressing but not around her eyes.

About two weeks ago Lulu had a break out of smaller hives which we more or less pinpointed back to a new plastic toy (made in china bought at Wal Mart). We used Benadryl that time (after talking to the vet) and about 5 days after we re introduced the same toy and right away she got itchy.

We are at a complete loss this time because nothing has changed other then the added pumpkin.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 4,773
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,556
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,591
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,736
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,300

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Hmmm has she had pumpkin before this? When she went out could she have gotten into something? Poor baby, my gosh that looks uncomfortable. :(

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Poor baby!! Is her bowl of food near a window or something that is outside maybe could have flown in and gotten on it, or maybe she was bitten by something like a mosquito? Maybe something bit her around the eyes. I'm trying to not associate what happened with her food and think of other things that could have caused it as well.

OP
Heff102

Heff102

Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Hmmm has she had pumpkin before this? When she went out could she have gotten into something? Poor baby, my gosh that looks uncomfortable. :(

Yes she has had the exact same brand of pumpkin before.

OP
Heff102

Heff102

Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Poor baby!! Is her bowl of food near a window or something that is outside maybe could have flown in and gotten on it, or maybe she was bitten by something like a mosquito? Maybe something bit her around the eyes. I'm trying to not associate what happened with her food and think of other things that could have caused it as well.

-5 here the other night no more flying bugs alive here anymore!

Allergies to me are almost impossible to pinpoint. I am just pissed we are stuck with yet another sickly bulldog.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)

Allergies to me are almost impossible to pinpoint. I am just pissed we are stuck with yet another sickly bulldog.

Wow and here we get excited for it to be in the 60's at night. haha Could she have maybe eaten some leaves or something out in the yard? So frustrating I bet. Miila has allergies like mad but has never had hives.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Heff, I feel so bad for you & Lulu.

Maybe a different allergy med, not all dogs respond to Benedryl (talk to your Vet 1st).

Hopefully, it won't happen again...praying!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis

Allergies don't make her a sickly bulldog, they make her a dog.

Obviously the Benadryl isn't working. Have you tried Zyrtec? It uses a different antihistamine than Benedryl and she might respond better to that. The generic is fine and the dosing is the same, 10mg per 25 pounds of body weight. If the hives are that severe or don't clear up with a different antihistamine, she may need a shot of prednisone but that still doesn't make her a "sickly bulldog" :)

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Is there any plant outside that she just started messing with? She may have gotten bit by something too- this is a pretty bad reaction to something no doubt! Any new laundry detergent, room sprays, candle, floor wash, anything at all? Poor Lu, I know you are frustrated. She may need some prednisone to get it under control :(

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
aww poor baby. lola had hives like that when i fed her some of the breast of homemade roasted chicken (that we put wheat stuffing inside - had onions). we gave her a cool bath and it didn't escalate, but, before we knew what had caused it, we gave her the chicken again and hives again. cool bath and benedryl and time was all she needed. we were suspect of the laundry detergent, changing seasons outside, we had been trying toppings on her food...

L

Lucy-licious

Oh, poor Lulu :hug: Billy has problems with allergies too, I know its frustrating and very upsetting. His first bad one like this with full body if hives came up while we were introducing new food, he'd been having quarter cup of the new kibble a few days and appeared to be ok, so we upped it to 1/2 cup...BANG within minutes he was full of hives, very similar to sweet Lulu. Just thought I'd mention it cos I noticed you have just increased her food. I would also add that Billy tends to get diarrhoea too as a first sign that something is not right for him, then hives follow a day or two later. We've been through a few kibbles already and he's only 22 weeks old :(

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
this may well be something environmental if its happening after she goes outside. sarah was breaking out with lots of hives after it rained and i figured out she was going pp on the wet leaves and her face got all red after she stuck it in some leaves. maybe try to keep her to one spot of the yard or as away from the grass and such as you can. i had better success with hives with zyrtec than i did benadryl. having a bully with hives and allergies does not make them sickly and doesnt mean it will keep happening. sarah rarely gets them if i keep the leaves away from the house. i hope your bully gets better.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh, poor Lulu :hug: Billy has problems with allergies too, I know its frustrating and very upsetting. His first bad one like this with full body if hives came up while we were introducing new food, he'd been having quarter cup of the new kibble a few days and appeared to be ok, so we upped it to 1/2 cup...BANG within minutes he was full of hives, very similar to sweet Lulu. Just thought I'd mention it cos I noticed you have just increased her food. I would also add that Billy tends to get diarrhoea too as a first sign that something is not right for him, then hives follow a day or two later. We've been through a few kibbles already and he's only 22 weeks old :(

I had thought about that when he said they upped the food intake, that maybe more of the ingredient that is causing an issue could have triggered the hives. But then I thought maybe I was being silly or overly cautious.... but now maybe not. Also, when Tidus got that nasty hotspot he had it came about 5 days after I put him on the new food, and once he was fully on it is when the hotspot appeared.

Hmmmm.... I wonder if it is an ingredient in the food for Lulu?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh poor baby, she probably got bit by something, it doesn't necessarily have to be a bug from outside, maybe a spider or something, or maybe she came into contact with something new around her? Maybe a bath would help, to take off anything that she might have come in contact with, a shampoo with oatmeal or chamomile , something soothing to her skin might help with the itchiness and discomfort . Good luck, I hope she gets better soon.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Oh I hope she feels better soon! The only time this happened was when Chanel ate a bee :( vet have her a shot and within 2 hours swelling was gone!

I would say if no better maybe a vet trip is needed! Please keep us updated!

Hugs to you both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online