Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Severe Hives

Lucy-licious

Default Re: Severe Hives

Quote Originally Posted by Heff102 View Post
    Lulu woke up from a nap and was wheezing pretty bad so we called the vet and brought her in as an emergency case.
    The vet administered Dexamethasone along with some Vanectyl P pills. Her wheezing has stopped and the hives seem to be subsiding slightly.
    Hopefully the next few hours things will improve more.

Stay tuned.

oh Heff....that's a serious reaction she's had
    give her a squeeze for me and I'll say some extra prayers for her xx

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Oh poor thing. Hope she gets better soon. I've never experienced hives before. I saw them for the first time with Henny bully Finn this past weekend but he only had a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    My Dolly gets these hives every year at this time, not as severe as Lulu. I'm sure it''s coming from either the fallen Maple tree leaves or the Weeping Cherry tree leaves. It's always after she's been outside. We try to keep the leaves raked and bagged.
    That's for that info Sherry. We have a maple tree too. Never thought about leaves falling before that could cause problems.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

That's the thing that's scarey with hives...if they're swelling on the OUTSIDE they can be swelling on the INSIDE too - hence the wheezing.

-p7200007-jpg Bea's first bout with hives (as pictured at left) was severe and frightening. She's never had hives like this since. Not once. She got into something at last September's Bullyfest event at Marymoor. We were all over that park that day. Who knows what it was?

I know you are upset Heff - because you don't want anything to happen to Lulu. Don't worry. She's not sickly. She's just a classic, adorable and sweet little EB!

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Philippe
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lulu
    Likes (Received)

Glad to report Lulu is back to her 100% self this morning. All her swelling etc has gone away and hopefully will stay away.
    She will be on Vanectyl P for the next 10 days. I am not a huge fan of prednisone but I guess it has its place at times.

Here is hoping this is the last time we have to deal with this.

FYI- Emergency call to the vet after hours cost me $192.00.......ouch.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Yay, she is back to normal. What a relief! Now the challenge is to figure out what caused it. Hugs to you both!

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Thank Goodness
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

im glad she is feeling better. pred is awsome when dealing with something like that but im not a fan of it either for long term use.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Baku
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Re: Severe Hives

RAISED BUMPS ON BULLDOG?? LOOKS LIKE HIVES BASED ON RESEARCH AND IMAGES ONLINE???

Well folks, I had the same issue with my bulldog yesterday, I came home and he had these bumps all over his body and they weren't bloody or anything, it was just raised bumps under his fur and when I rolled his skin to see if it was fleas or there was any redness, everything underneath looked fine with the exception of the bumps. This in fact is HIVES. I realized that when the allergies get really bad outside for us Humans, bulldogs are also susceptible to allergies as well. The park by my home just planted fresh tulips for spring and I am sure that was the culprit along with the high pollen count in the air.

BEST ADVICE THAT ACTUALLY WORKED FOR ME: rinse the allergens off the skin, Aesop, an Australian brand has a great natural and soothing shampoo for dogs I gave him a bath that same night and by the next morning all the bumps were gone. I would recommend that your dog(s) be monitored to see if there is any scratching or rubbing of their faces. This might indicate fleas, but highly unlikely if you roll the fur and don't see any redness or site of a bite. The best thing to do is get rid of the allergens by thoroughly washing your pup, dry them out completely (even though they may not like it) and monitor them overnight. If the bumps don't go down, check the pollen count in the air, avoid tall grasses, and try using wipes after going outside to take off the "allergy dust" this really seems to help as bulldogs can be high maintenance when it comes to their skin and allergies. Keep the area clean and dry

Interdigital cysts my bull dog has mild ones in between his toes on almost all four paws, these will go down as the Spring season fades. Notice when the cysts arrived? Was it in the dead of winter? most likely not, so it must be from allergies. Try switching out the food you are using to one that is made for bulldogs, I like Royal Canin and Origins. Keep the area between the toes dry and clean, especially as yeast tends to build up there. Bulldogs have to stay clean, like all dogs, but their requirement for cleanliness is much higher especially if they already have sensitive skin and have allergies. A soothing oatmeal bath or the shampoo from Aesop used once a week will definitely improve the condition of your dog. Also, when you take them outside, use wipes to clean their paws in between baths so there is no dirt build up or bacteria that can cause the cysts to worsen. Eventually they will fade as long as you keep it clean and dry. Hope this helps!!

9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Doggie Boutique Owner
    Real Name
    Brian and Lynne
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey (Dolly rehomed)
    Likes (Received)

Everybody on this group hates Royal Canin LOL Is Origins dog food "Orijen" ? Now that's a good food !!

KODA Omni Clean Natural Therapeutic Foaming Shampoo for Pets was recommended recently and looks good too ! I personally think if you have a dog with allergies and interdigital cysts you should probably be using Malaseb or Curaseb or Ketohex shampoo since they are antifungal and antibacterial.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeofbaku View Post
    RAISED BUMPS ON BULLDOG?? LOOKS LIKE HIVES BASED ON RESEARCH AND IMAGES ONLINE???

Well folks, I had the same issue with my bulldog yesterday, I came home and he had these bumps all over his body and they weren't bloody or anything, it was just raised bumps under his fur and when I rolled his skin to see if it was fleas or there was any redness, everything underneath looked fine with the exception of the bumps. This in fact is HIVES. I realized that when the allergies get really bad outside for us Humans, bulldogs are also susceptible to allergies as well. The park by my home just planted fresh tulips for spring and I am sure that was the culprit along with the high pollen count in the air.

BEST ADVICE THAT ACTUALLY WORKED FOR ME: rinse the allergens off the skin, Aesop, an Australian brand has a great natural and soothing shampoo for dogs I gave him a bath that same night and by the next morning all the bumps were gone. I would recommend that your dog(s) be monitored to see if there is any scratching or rubbing of their faces. This might indicate fleas, but highly unlikely if you roll the fur and don't see any redness or site of a bite. The best thing to do is get rid of the allergens by thoroughly washing your pup, dry them out completely (even though they may not like it) and monitor them overnight. If the bumps don't go down, check the pollen count in the air, avoid tall grasses, and try using wipes after going outside to take off the "allergy dust" this really seems to help as bulldogs can be high maintenance when it comes to their skin and allergies. Keep the area clean and dry

Interdigital cysts my bull dog has mild ones in between his toes on almost all four paws, these will go down as the Spring season fades. Notice when the cysts arrived? Was it in the dead of winter? most likely not, so it must be from allergies. Try switching out the food you are using to one that is made for bulldogs, I like Royal Canin and Origins. Keep the area between the toes dry and clean, especially as yeast tends to build up there. Bulldogs have to stay clean, like all dogs, but their requirement for cleanliness is much higher especially if they already have sensitive skin and have allergies. A soothing oatmeal bath or the shampoo from Aesop used once a week will definitely improve the condition of your dog. Also, when you take them outside, use wipes to clean their paws in between baths so there is no dirt build up or bacteria that can cause the cysts to worsen. Eventually they will fade as long as you keep it clean and dry. Hope this helps!!

11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads