General Question Reverse sneezing?

Autzz

Dec 29, 2011
Manchester NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Elli
So I've MIA here for a while since graduating, been busy planning my wedding, starting a business and working but Elli is turning one tomorrow and this week she started making a nasty snorting sound so I looked it up since it sounds like congestion and it talking about reverse sneezing or something. Anyone know about it?

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Since Bacon's allergies have kicked up he has been making weird noises similar to what you are describing in the morning when he's all stuffed up.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
What is reverse sneezing? I've never heard of it, is it something else I should be watching for? Is it dangerous, what causes it?

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Yes, there is plenty of information on the Internet regarding "Reverse Sneezing". Both my Pug and my Bulldog suffer from it .... my Pug is alot worse than Maximus, my Bulldog. I hear Boston Terrier's are the worst. No, it is not harmful to the dog, but it must be very annoying to them, and frightening to witness to us dog owners.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka does this too, as well as my families dogs (pugs). I have also heard my friend's dachsund do this. It's pretty common for dogs. Not sure what causes it, if it's allergies or over-excitement maybe? I notice that when Tonka is begging for food and gets all worked up that he often will do it. I heard you just have to get them to swallow and it goes away. It's not dangerous at all from what I have heard. When Tonka had done this on occasion I just try to calm him down and rub his back or sides. Here we go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_sneezing or http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2335. Lots of info. on this out there. :)

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
Jax my second bully did this, he use to do it during the change of seasons (maybe pollen allergies) and when he got very excited. It never caused any damage but was scary the first few times he did it.

OP
Autzz

Autzz

Dec 29, 2011
Manchester NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Elli
Yeah since doing the research and witnessing it every morning and when my sister comes home, Elli tends to do it when she's very excited. So at least she's not sick on her birthday!

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I think grace does it sometimes when she gets a hair up her nose an it sounds like she's choking an trying to get it out I just rub her nose then I make her swallow you rub her throat downward an she stops it sounds horrible

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.