Does Anyone here have an adult english Bulldog without any medical issue?

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I mean, not even the "expected' ones. No allergies, no demo, no bad hips, no cherry eye or entropian, no heart murmurs, no spino bifita...... Just a dog that you only have to take to the vet for it's annual physical and shots?

This whole issue makes me disgusted, angry and sad.

Angry that breeders think it's okay to breed and sell unhealthy dogs. What ever happened to breeding to better the breed? What ever happened to full disclosure and selling questionable dogs as pet only clauses in their paper work? Is it all about the money? How can someone who loves the breed allow unhealthy dogs to be produced under their name?

Sad for the dogs and the people who buy and love them.

Sad that the dogs have to go through life with the handicap or bad and deteriorating health issues. Since medically, I have much in common with our beloved bullys, I know how hard it can be just to get through the day sometimes. I should have been culled and not allowed to reproduce too.

Sad for the humans who love them but get ripped of by unscrupulous, lying breeders. "Oh all my dogs are healthy and all bullys have these issues. If you want an EB you just have to accept that they are not healthy." Maybe if we stopped accepting that BS we'd help improve the breed.

I know of EBs who are health and active. I know of a few breeders who breed them. Those are the breeders we need to support not the ones who are creating the dogs with all the problems mentioned here.

I wish we could create use and do not use this breeder lists that show which kennels can be trusted to produce healthy dogs and which ones produce unhealthy ones and what defects dogs from said kennel developed and at what age they showed up.

:cry::cursing::angry:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I mean, not even the "expected' ones. No allergies, no demo, no bad hips, no cherry eye or entropian, no heart murmurs, no spino bifita...... Just a dog that you only have to take to the vet for it's annual physical and shots?

Angry that breeders think it's okay to breed and sell unhealthy dogs. What ever happened to breeding to better the breed? What ever happened to full disclosure and selling questionable dogs as pet only clauses in their paper work? Is it all about the money? How can someone who loves the breed allow unhealthy dogs to be produced under their name?

Sad that the dogs have to go through life with the handicap or bad and deteriorating health issues. Since medically, I have much in common with our beloved bullys, I know how hard it can be just to get through the day sometimes. I should have been culled and not allowed to reproduce too.

Sad for the humans who love them but get ripped of by unscrupulous, lying breeders. "Oh all my dogs are healthy and all bullys have these issues. If you want an EB you just have to accept that they are not healthy." Maybe if we stopped accepting that BS we'd help improve the breed.

I know of EBs who are health and active. I know of a few breeders who breed them. Those are the breeders we need to support not the ones who are creating the dogs with all the problems mentioned here.

I wish we could create use and do not use this breeder lists that show which kennels can be trusted to produce healthy dogs and which ones produce unhealthy ones and what defects dogs from said kennel developed and at what age they showed up.

I think there is such a list here on EBN??? But the problem is to get people outside of those on EBN to use it - many don't know about BYB and puppy mills and many buy from pet stores. As bullies get more popular it will just get worse. All breeds have their issues, its just when they start becoming trendy do we see disgusting and irreputable behaviors.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I would say overall Gizmo falls into that category - yes she had a defect (inverted corkscrew tail) but I dont think you could 'breed that out'
Hershey also has a defect, one we were aware of when we rescued him - but as in the other ailments (Cherry eye, Allergies, heart murmurs etc) they are both negitive.

I think the reason you are over burdened seeing all of the health issues, is people come here and post when they NEED answers, most people dont hang around and post 'Todays been a good day' they are either in need of advice, or they want to share something special about their bullies :)

Good observation? bad observation? hell its MY observation :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)

Surely do. Cutty is almost 7 and has always been healthy as far as the typical bully issues. He tore his acl playing and had surgery but is was an injury not genetics. Miila wasn't perfect but I got her off Craig's list so it is expected. She had her cherry eye and pallet surgery and is perfect since tho. Knock on wood.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I think the reason you are over burdened seeing all of the health issues, is people come here and post when they NEED answers, most people dont hang around and post 'Todays been a good day' they are either in need of advice, or they want to share something special about their bullies :)

I think you're correct! That is a good observation :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh and as much as we would love a list like that on here we can't know who is good and bad as far as breeders. Word of mouth isn't enough for ebn to say such and such is a good breeder. I know we all may know great breeders but the list opens up a bunch of problems. The bca has such a list so that is why we direct that way for people looking.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Oh and as much as we would love a list like that on here we can't know who is good and bad as far as breeders. Word of mouth isn't enough for ebn to say such and such is a good breeder. I know we all may know great breeders but the list opens up a bunch of problems. The bca has such a list so that is why we direct that way for people looking.

OK then I'm thinking of the Scam Alert forum [MENTION=6176]linwhite[/MENTION]

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
This may be a dumb question, but what is the bca?

Also, I never understood that line in the paperwork from breeders that said the dog is "for a pet" only. Can someone explain why they put this?

The only issue I have had with Tonka so far (knock on wood) is bad environmental allergies. I know another friend of mine has a bulldog from the same breeder and he has had no issues with his. I guess sometimes those things are hard to eliminate completely.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
This may be a dumb question, but what is the bca?

Also, I never understood that line in the paperwork from breeders that said the dog is "for a pet" only. Can someone explain why they put this?

The only issue I have had with Tonka so far (knock on wood) is bad environmental allergies. I know another friend of mine has a bulldog from the same breeder and he has had no issues with his. I guess sometimes those things are hard to eliminate completely.

BCA is the Bulldog Club of America. Here is their website ....http://www.bulldogclubofamerica.org/

As for the "pet only" comment ... I'm fairly sure that it means that you do not intend to breed or show them. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

I'm inclined to agree with that statement. Although we do get a lot of "good day" posts, there are plenty of "help me" posts too, and a lot of those posts are because of bad breeding practices.

After saying that, there are a lot of very good and responsible breeders out there who love the breed enough to try and eradicate all the problems the bulldogs have. It's just a case of making sure you are using one of the good breeders and not the byb or puppy mills!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack

Sounds to me that you would do great at becoming a very good activist where you channel this disgust, anger and sadness that you seem have? :idea:

People come to certain places like EBN because they may or may not have problems with their bullies so you're going to see more positives and negatives. What you do see here is a very small percentage of what's out there - good and bad. Now to say that this breed is the only one who has issues is not completely true. Big dogs have hip issues, my pitty Ace who passed had a heart murmur and he wasn't a bulldog. My other pitty Nitro who passed too had allergies. Jack my other pitty who we have now has rapid bone growth that's common in most larger breed dogs but more so boxers, weinerimers (spelling's wrong). Some breeds have deep chests which make them prone to Bloat, etc., etc., etc.

Yes there are bad breeders and yes there are unhealthy dogs that come from those breeders but unfortunately the cycle of life will always produce a dog that is not genetically healthy no matter how good the breeder and their dog's are That's my personal opinion of course.

Wilson and Emma are very healthy. But I'm sorry they are bulldogs and bulldogs are prone to certain things genetically speaking again that other dogs are not and that will aways be the case no matter who the breeder is.

Last edited:
OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm just wondering if I'm dreaming an impossible dream.....

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
I would say overall Gizmo falls into that category - yes she had a defect (inverted corkscrew tail) but I dont think you could 'breed that out'
Hershey also has a defect, one we were aware of when we rescued him - but as in the other ailments (Cherry eye, Allergies, heart murmurs etc) they are both negitive.

Good observation? bad observation? hell its MY observation :)

good observation.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.