Does Anyone here have an adult english Bulldog without any medical issue?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I feel like the first vet I went to with Tonka when he was a puppy seemed like they just wanted to do it for precautionary measures or simply because he was a flat-faced breed. She was so casual about it like "oh, we can just snip the palette and trim the nares too while he is under for neutering." I took him to a different vet for a second opinion (I knew this vet saw more bulldogs as well) and he said that Tonka didn't seem to have an issue with his palette, that it looked good. He also said his nostrils looked fine. He asked if Tonka snored a lot or had difficult/labored breathing (which he doesn't at all) and his opinion was that it didn't need to be done. So we didn't and Tonka is doing just fine at 15 months. Still not a huge snorer and doesn't seem to have any issues.

I am so grateful and happy -- for you and your pup -- that you sought a second opinion! Having a vet you trust who has your animal's best interests at heart, is SO IMPORTANT. I love my vet. Thank Goodness he's young. If he had to retire or something, I'd be devastated.

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
This is what I'm talking about. Those "rare" colors are rare for a reason; they're unacceptable in the show ring. This breeder wasn't honoring the breed standard and, probably, simply breeding to get the most unusual dogs possible to charge the highest price possible. This type of breeding would certainly disqualify the breeder from membership in a reputable English Bulldog Association. Breeding for oddities is not considered responsible breeding. Chocolate and Blue are not acceptable colors in the show ring. I would have to think long and hard about supporting their breeding practice with a purchase. That's just me.

Perhaps this is one of those situations when "GUT" means a GREAT deal in the decision to buy process.
Clearly, you didn't feel these folks were jackalopes or you wouldn't have sought a pup from one of their litters.
I am one of those folks that loves dogs that look different/odd and those things used to be reasons to DISCOUNT the cost of the pup --- not add to the price. I'd be interested to see this breeder's marketing materials. I'd also like to see what an $8500 dollar dog looks like. LOL

@linwhite - I am happy that your pup is loved and healthy and happy!

As for the breeding conversation in general, it is my opinion that ALL Animal Breeders -- in any case -- should be licensed. And that process should include an inspection and a list of strict criteria --- as it is in many European countries. Many states are pushing for this legislation. Support yours! END PUPPY MILLS!!!!!

:p:p:p

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I wish my vet was young! He's getting old! He isn't a bulldog "expert" but he has seen quite a few bulldogs (it was the best I could do in my area as I could not find an expert). He is sucha sweet man who genuinely loves animals and is never out for the money. When Tonka first developed allergies I was calling him every week with questions and to find an antihistamine that worked for us and he was so patient. You are right, a good vet makes all the difference and i'm glad I didn't cause my baby any unnecessary pain or procedures! :)

I am so grateful and happy -- for you and your pup -- that you sought a second opinion! Having a vet you trust who has your animal's best interests at heart, is SO IMPORTANT. I love my vet. Thank Goodness he's young. If he had to retire or something, I'd be devastated.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Delilah is three and for the most part has had no issues aside from little sicknesses not related to genetics and yeasty issues. She got diagnosed with entropian eyelids the other day though and I'm upset about it. :(

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Perhaps this is one of those situations when "GUT" means a GREAT deal in the decision to buy process.
Clearly, you didn't feel these folks were jackalopes or you wouldn't have sought a pup from one of their litters.
I am one of those folks that loves dogs that look different/odd and those things used to be reasons to DISCOUNT the cost of the pup --- not add to the price. I'd be interested to see this breeder's marketing materials. I'd also like to see what an $8500 dollar dog looks like. LOL

I agree, colors that aren't really breed standard should be discounted. I believe Remi was in the cheaper range because he has a bit longer legs and snout, which hopefully means he's a little healthier than some, but obviously not as desirable as others. He's also wrinkly, but not overly so.

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree, colors that aren't really breed standard should be discounted. I believe Remi was in the cheaper range because he has a bit longer legs and snout, which hopefully means he's a little healthier than some, but obviously not as desirable as others. He's also wrinkly, but not overly so.

I love it. You folks are insinuating that I got the specific pup I got because his price was discounted and that the breeder is unethical because she chooses to breed unusual colors and that buyers will actually pay outrageous prices for them. However, it's okay for you to get dogs that do not meet breed standard because of stenotic nares, palate issues, bad hips, bad knees, cherry eye, entropian, allergies, etc. That's okay because they are AKC colors and you have to accept that with an EB. Well, I won't accept that a second time or the breeders who are ripping you folks off since they know their lines carry these problems even if they don't see them before the pup is sold.

You know very little about me and the years of discussions I've had with some of the top breeders of alternative bully breeds in the world. You know nothing about the breeder, her training in genetics, the testing she has done on all her dogs and pups and how she assures they are as healthy as can be. We both appreciate alternative bully breeds as well as our poor old EBs and are trying to work to better their health and do not accept that all the health issues we have with our EBs have to be. Oh, and BTW, so far at just under 5 months Zam's only problem is tear stains. Given the other dogs in his family that I've seen, I won't be surprised if it stays that way.

You tell me, which is more important, the health or the color of the dog?

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Ours is extremely healthy at 2 we do have some allergies but it is food related. We switched foods and he is now off allergy medications. He did mess up his acl but that was in a accident not due to genetics but it healed great. Our vet said ours is one of the healthiest ones she sees. We only seen her twice in the past year one was for shots and second was due to him eating a tomato plant which is poisonous to all dogs. Allergies happen in ALL breeds and I think a lot of it is due to poor quality of food. I don't think allergies mean you have a poor quality dog.

I also don't think that they meant that you have a lower quality dog due to the price you paid or what not. I think they were just pointing out how its not right for dogs to be 7-8 grand when they aren't standard breed quality ( rare colors ). I personally wouldn't pay that outrageous amount for a rare colored dog but that's me. I'm quite happy with my "common" colored baby :).

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I love it. You folks are insinuating that I got the specific pup I got because his price was discounted and that the breeder is unethical because she chooses to breed unusual colors and that buyers will actually pay outrageous prices for them. However, it's okay for you to get dogs that do not meet breed standard because of stenotic nares, palate issues, bad hips, bad knees, cherry eye, entropian, allergies, etc. That's okay because they are AKC colors and you have to accept that with an EB. Well, I won't accept that a second time or the breeders who are ripping you folks off since they know their lines carry these problems even if they don't see them before the pup is sold.

You know very little about me and the years of discussions I've had with some of the top breeders of alternative bully breeds in the world. You know nothing about the breeder, her training in genetics, the testing she has done on all her dogs and pups and how she assures they are as healthy as can be. We both appreciate alternative bully breeds as well as our poor old EBs and are trying to work to better their health and do not accept that all the health issues we have with our EBs have to be. Oh, and BTW, so far at just under 5 months Zam's only problem is tear stains. Given the other dogs in his family that I've seen, I won't be surprised if it stays that way.

You tell me, which is more important, the health or the color of the dog?

Am I missing something here???? Obviously health comes first. I think you misread my post.... Breathe :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=6176]linwhite[/MENTION] - I'm sorry this discussion has made you feel defensive....that's never ever the intention here. It's hard to read into "text" yeah? No facial expressions or other non verbal cues to pick up.

The health of the dog is the MOST important thing; and I think anyone here will agree with that!

Us EB folks get plenty of crap from those folks who do not understand our adoration of this breed of dog. We must stick together. *I'm sending you a big bully hug*

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Wow. I only paid $600 for Punk. She is a brindle. Got her at Canton Dog Alley. What we thought were seizures turned out to be her way of playing around. She is healthy. She eats Royal Canin - which everone says is junk, but she doesn't smell, does not have gas, does not have tear stains, has plenty of energy and is a sweet lovable cuddle bundle.

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Ours is extremely healthy at 2 we do have some allergies but it is food related. We switched foods and he is now off allergy medications. He did mess up his acl but that was in a accident not due to genetics but it healed great. Our vet said ours is one of the healthiest ones she sees. We only seen her twice in the past year one was for shots and second was due to him eating a tomato plant which is poisonous to all dogs. Allergies happen in ALL breeds and I think a lot of it is due to poor quality of food. I don't think allergies mean you have a poor quality dog.

I also don't think that they meant that you have a lower quality dog due to the price you paid or what not. I think they were just pointing out how its not right for dogs to be 7-8 grand when they aren't standard breed quality ( rare colors ). I personally wouldn't pay that outrageous amount for a rare colored dog but that's me. I'm quite happy with my "common" colored baby :).

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't either. My guy is a standard color for a standard price who happened to have come from a rare color breeder. I got him because I liked him and he seemed to be very high quality health and confirmation wise, not because of color or lack there of.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Sarge is very healthy with no problemsand he is going on two. LuLu is also healthy and she is four. I am so blessed to have two bullys that are happy and in good health.

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
The only issue I have had with Tonka so far (knock on wood) is bad environmental allergies. I know another friend of mine has a bulldog from the same breeder and he has had no issues with his. I guess sometimes those things are hard to eliminate completely.[/QUOTE]

I have to politely disagree with you, If dogs with these allergies were never bread then the chance of them occurring in offspring would be reduced and after many generations they should be eliminated. Now, this might not be the case for environmental allergies, but I believe it would at least reduce the chances of them.

As for the health of my two dogs, Boadie seems to be very healthy, no problems as to date. He is however only 7 months old.
Uni has demodex and breathing issues, the vet says, she breaths good for a bull dog. Here we come acrosed the same issue we are discussing in this post. "Good for a Bulldog" but if it was anther breed, such as a terrier, they would not be OK and would probably be recommending surgery. Why do people/breeders think that because it is a prevalent hereditary defect that it is acceptable to still breed?

Last edited:
OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
"I have to politely disagree with you, If dogs with these allergies were never bread then the chance of them occurring in offspring would be reduced and after many generations they should be eliminated. Now, this might not be the case for environmental allergies, but I believe it would at least reduce the chances of them."

I hope you don't think you're disagreeing with me. Your statement hits the nail right on the head.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Almost a year ago my Usko had urate stones removed surgically and later we found out he has a defected HUU-gene that causes this. Yesterday, friday, we had a full medical check up, ultrasounds and all, and the verdict was completely healthy. Of course if he was to be fed differently and don't have his supplements he could again form bladder stones. But as it is he is a healthy and happy bullie:happydance:
And if all goes well and as planned he will be having pups next spring/summer with a HUU-clear female, so the pups will not have this gene defect.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.