Does Anyone here have an adult english Bulldog without any medical issue?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=6176]linwhite[/MENTION] - you are right in a lot of ways, my friend! When I first started considering getting "My Dream Dog", all I heard was "That breed has health issues." Undeterred, I did MASS research; I went to dog shows, I talked to breeders -- who show dogs --- and only considered those that had been referred highly by someone else. I still ended up with a dog that died of congenital heart failure at four years old. Even when you do everything right; it can go all wrong. Her death devastated me. Mable and I had been thru SO MUCH together. How could I possibly think of doing it again, right?

I love this breed. LOVE. THIS. BREED. They are the BEST dogs == bar none == and I've had everything from Afghan Hounds to Shitzus over the years.

I have two healthy dogs -- that both have high dollar insurance (I learned my lesson) - and I've yet to make a claim. Bo came from rescue and Bea came from a VERY HIGHLY recommended shower and breeder. Yes. Doing your homework helps. NOT buying a pup from a pet store, random people you don't know or thru the newspaper/craigslist is paramount to that success. If folks keep buying those pups, they'll keep breeding them.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Wilson and Emma are very healthy. But I'm sorry they are bulldogs and bulldogs are prone to certain things genetically speaking again that other dogs are not and that will always be the case no matter who the breeder is.

This has been my observation as well. Because Remi is a pet and we aren't going to breed, dropping $3,000 on a "top breeder" just wasn't something we could do. I got my dog from a breeder off of greenfieldpuppies and they were nice people, the puppies were well socialized, and lived on a farm. The puppy checked out okay (with the exception of one testicle that hasn't dropped but there is still time yet.) I think the desirable traits people want in bulldogs also fall hand in hand with the health problems; example, the smashed nose. I chose a pup that wasn't too bad, so he will be able to breathe a bit better than some.

I know what you mean though. Sometimes I get a little sad that we've bred them this way to begin with but some of those issues can't be changed by the breeder alone.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
This has been my observation as well. Because Remi is a pet and we aren't going to breed, dropping $3,000 on a "top breeder" just wasn't something we could do.

I just want to point out that I said "highly recommended breeder" -- not Top Breeder. Big difference. I didn't and don't care about a "champion" pup - but I do care about health and temperament. I also want to know that these folks are GOOD and DECENT people, supporting the EB community. That was my criteria.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I have three bulldogs and 2 have pulmonic stenosis (one mild, one severe) and they came from two totally different breeders. Both I completely trust in their breeding practices. My Oliver only has VERY mild allergies (environmental). His eyes water a little, which causes tear stains, but other than that he's extremely healthy.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola is a year and a half and no health issues thus far. Her eyes are a little watery but I dont mind wiping her cute cheeks with a tissue once or twice a day. She snores like a boss, but i hear that's pretty common in bullies as well. Healthy as can be :)

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I have had two english with no health issues....

I have three rescues with Spina bifida and frenchie born with small nostril which has to be fixed. I dont know if Im being sensitive, But please dont feel sorry for the handicapped one. Sure it would be nice if they were not but Most live long full and happy lives. I know mine are happy. I have had issues with Gracie due to her former owners not taking care of things but for the most part they are healthy other than normal bulldog issues. I wouldnt have my crew any other way. Changing diapers is easier than potty training is what I always say. lol

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i do agree that these shoddy breeders are mucking up things in the dog world. not only bullies but all breeds and yes if we keep buying them they will keep producing them. sarah has many problems. some allergy some physical. her sister from the same litter is perfectly fine so i do think her problems stem from the heartless woman (i use this term loosly) who had her before me. sometimes its breeding sometimes its what is done with them after we get them. sarah has allergies really bad and a torn acl (which was fixed but she will always limp because of how long it was left) and a broken leg ( also was left to just heal up on its own) so i struggle with her but would not trade her for nothing. i love her.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I just want to point out that I said "highly recommended breeder" -- not Top Breeder. Big difference. I didn't and don't care about a "champion" pup - but I do care about health and temperament. I also want to know that these folks are GOOD and DECENT people, supporting the EB community. That was my criteria.

Hey Vicaroo - I'm not entirely sure if I'm using words correctly or not. Top Breeder to me would mean someone who comes with high recommendations, but not necessarily show dogs. (I've seen some go for around $7,000!) So sorry for the confusion. No one really knew who my breeder was; they were Mennonite and really kept to themselves. Although we visited the facility and spent a great time talking with them, we really had to go based on gut. It's funny, because even now I am hoping we bought from a "reputable" breeder. I guess we'll find out? So far so good...

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION] - I think it's just semantics. I don't know that there is a standard term for "breeder types"; I was just sharing my own criteria which didn't include award winning dogs -- although the breeder I got Bea from certainly did have dogs over the years that had been top performers in the show ring. After doing all the research I could stand, I talked to the wonderful woman who started Cascade Bulldog Rescue and Rehome and it was Cindy's opinions that made all the difference in my final decision about what breeder to go with. If, at any time, I felt negatively about my decision, I'd have stopped mid-stream and started over. That "gut" feeling you talk about counts too! My intuition is generally spot on (there was a time in my youth when my life depended on it) so I appreciate your comment! I have heard horrible horror stories about Mennonite and Amish breeders. Doesn't not meant they are true. Like I said, even when you do everything you can, it can go wrong (like my Mable). Those folks should NOT have been breeding their female "Sweet Pea" and if I ever see them again, I'm going to thank them for years of heartbreak. As decent as these folks where though and as highly recommended as they came, I can't believe they knew they were knowingly breeding future congenital heart failure patients. But they certainly were. Sadly, I was not the only one that suffered this heartbreak.

Maybe the correct term might be: "Show Ring Quality Pups" or something - with regard to those 7K dogs you're talking about. (I've never, ever seen that myself) Bea was 3K and I've never regretted a penny --- or my decision to go with her breeder. I would do it again.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I'm fairly sure that Abby came from one of those pet store puppy mill or a sleazy back yard breeder because she is physically a mess. Renal dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, mild hip dysplasia.

Otis on the other hand is physically perfect (although sometimes I worry about his mental state lol). Before I signed the final adoption papers I had him tested from the tip of his nose to the end of his tail. He doesn't even seem to have any food allergies. I don't know his back story of where they got him from but I have a really hard time believing that someone would pay top dollar at a breeder for a dog then tie him to a fence for months on end, so I'm guessing puppy store for him too.

So to answer your question, I have one physically perfect bulldog and one so physically broken that she should't even be alive today.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Usko just turned two and is other wise healthy, but has a defected HUU-gene that makes him susceptible to form urate bladder stones. All Dalmatians have this same defect. This condition is kept under control by raw feeding. He had his share of tummy aches, loose stools and flus when he was a puppy, but now he's great.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Aside from allergies, I feel like Winston has been pretty healthy and he's Three.

I've always been curious. Do most EB's require palette surgery? Even well bred litters? I feel like I had Winston's clipped for more precautionary measures rather necessity. Does every bull dog owner have this done?

I feel like the first vet I went to with Tonka when he was a puppy seemed like they just wanted to do it for precautionary measures or simply because he was a flat-faced breed. She was so casual about it like "oh, we can just snip the palette and trim the nares too while he is under for neutering." I took him to a different vet for a second opinion (I knew this vet saw more bulldogs as well) and he said that Tonka didn't seem to have an issue with his palette, that it looked good. He also said his nostrils looked fine. He asked if Tonka snored a lot or had difficult/labored breathing (which he doesn't at all) and his opinion was that it didn't need to be done. So we didn't and Tonka is doing just fine at 15 months. Still not a huge snorer and doesn't seem to have any issues.

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
@ModernFemme -
Maybe the correct term might be: "Show Ring Quality Pups" or something - with regard to those 7K dogs you're talking about. (I've never, ever seen that myself) Bea was 3K and I've never regretted a penny --- or my decision to go with her breeder. I would do it again.

I got Zam from one of those $7,000 breeders but NO I just paid regular bully price ($2,500). The high cost ones were "rare" colors - blue in this case. Chocolate might also fit in that category. It didn't hurt that Grandpa was an international, many titled champion either. Zam's from the second littler of this breeding pair so there's an offspring history to go by as well. I'm hoping the breeder's research and choices pay off with a healthy dog. Most of this litter went for $6,500 but one sent to Europe from the last litter went for $8,500. No way I can afford those prices. LOL

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Cibolo, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Larry aka Lawrence Tiberius
Larry has a mild allergy to beef but other than that is perfectly healthy :) We are looking at a brother for him and made me so sad when I found out his breeder had retired :(

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
I got Zam from one of those $7,000 breeders but NO I just paid regular bully price ($2,500). The high cost ones were "rare" colors - blue in this case. Chocolate might also fit in that category. It didn't hurt that Grandpa was an international, many titled champion either. Zam's from the second littler of this breeding pair so there's an offspring history to go by as well. I'm hoping the breeder's research and choices pay off with a healthy dog. Most of this litter went for $6,500 but one sent to Europe from the last litter went for $8,500. No way I can afford those prices. LOL

This is what I'm talking about. Those "rare" colors are rare for a reason; they're unacceptable in the show ring. This breeder wasn't honoring the breed standard and, probably, simply breeding to get the most unusual dogs possible to charge the highest price possible. This type of breeding would certainly disqualify the breeder from membership in a reputable English Bulldog Association. Breeding for oddities is not considered responsible breeding. Chocolate and Blue are not acceptable colors in the show ring. I would have to think long and hard about supporting their breeding practice with a purchase. That's just me.

Perhaps this is one of those situations when "GUT" means a GREAT deal in the decision to buy process.
Clearly, you didn't feel these folks were jackalopes or you wouldn't have sought a pup from one of their litters.
I am one of those folks that loves dogs that look different/odd and those things used to be reasons to DISCOUNT the cost of the pup --- not add to the price. I'd be interested to see this breeder's marketing materials. I'd also like to see what an $8500 dollar dog looks like. LOL

[MENTION=6176]linwhite[/MENTION] - I am happy that your pup is loved and healthy and happy!

As for the breeding conversation in general, it is my opinion that ALL Animal Breeders -- in any case -- should be licensed. And that process should include an inspection and a list of strict criteria --- as it is in many European countries. Many states are pushing for this legislation. Support yours! END PUPPY MILLS!!!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.