Does Anyone here have an adult english Bulldog without any medical issue?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well there are a lot of good reputable breeders out there, that do breed to better the breed. None of mine have problems, no cheery eye, no hip problems, no heart problems, no mange, but that does not guarantee that even if you have the best bullies in the world that some where down the line there is going to be one with a defect. But most of us try to breed out the defects. That being said there are TOO many others out there that just want to breed to make a quick buck and just throw two bullies together with no regard to health, looks, or temperament. Plus too many peeps want a cheap bully and these are the people that keep puppy mills in business. So don't buy from pet stores, Craigslist or go for the "cheap" puppy, because you are supporting puppy mills and sorry imports. Just sayin.

L

Lucy-licious

Apart from a minor Cherry eye that she has out grown and never needed surgery for...My Lucy is healthy. In 2 1/2 years she has needed no surgical interventions and only anti fungals for a mild infection :)

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Well there are a lot of good reputable breeders out there, that do breed to better the breed. None of mine have problems, no cheery eye, no hip problems, no heart problems, no mange, but that does not guarantee that even if you have the best bullies in the world that some where down the line there is going to be one with a defect. But most of us try to breed out the defects. That being said there are TOO many others out there that just want to breed to make a quick buck and just throw two bullies together with no regard to health, looks, or temperament. Plus too many peeps want a cheap bully and these are the people that keep puppy mills in business. So don't buy from pet stores, Craigslist or go for the "cheap" puppy, because you are supporting puppy mills and sorry imports. Just sayin.

Agreed!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Our Amber has a clean bill of health and she will be a year old next month. She had a small cold in her right eye just after I brought her home and I took her to the vet immediately and she was given medication and the problem never re-occurred. A friend of mine has an 8 year old bulldog that has multiple medical conditions and the owner causes some of them with poor diet trying to take short cuts and paying for cheap food. I seen the same thing with Great Danes; many people think it is great to have an unusual pet but don't understand what is involved with the care and up keep. Pets need good nutrition and medical care just like humans;that old saying, "You get what you pay for" is so true on so many levels. I paid a fair price for Amber and she is in good health and I talk to the breeder regularly if I have questions. Lol; when people I work with found out what I paid for Amber they told me her name should have been "Nugget" as in gold nugget. Lol; with everything she came with and her health credentials the price was extremely reasonable and I will be going back for a playmate for Amber after she turns a year old. I agree; stay away from puppy mills, pet shops, and craigs list; find a good breeder, a reliable vet and do homework on the breed.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Plus I forgot, someone asked about "pet quality" bullies. You have "show quality" and "pet quality", A show breeder breeds to get the best bully they can for show, not all of the pups in a litter are "show Quality" for one reason or the other. It may be their color, their markings, the way they stand, the way their ears set, are they big boned or regular, is their chest nice and wide, or too wide or too narrow. There are many things that a breeder will look at to determine if one is "show quality" or "pet quality". That does not mean there is anything wrong with the "pet quality" pup, it's just not one they want to show, and if they don't want to show it then they usually do not want it bred, so most of the time they will restrict breeding on that pup as well. I hope that clears it up for you.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
This may be a dumb question, but what is the bca?

Also, I never understood that line in the paperwork from breeders that said the dog is "for a pet" only. Can someone explain why they put this?

The only issue I have had with Tonka so far (knock on wood) is bad environmental allergies. I know another friend of mine has a bulldog from the same breeder and he has had no issues with his. I guess sometimes those things are hard to eliminate completely.

Never a dumb question. ;)

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Herschel has a recurring cherry eye... kind of. I mean you see it then look at him again and it's gone. No allergies, no other problems other than a dry nose sometimes lol. He was a rescue from a family that couldn't (or wouldn't) take care of him so I know nothing of his history other than he was born in January 2011.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have 6 bulldogs and in the past three years I have had 2 ulcers and 1 hotspot, and my oldest has dry eye (she is 5). The ulcers were caused from a scratch. Occasionally we get yeast but that is easily taken care of- thank you EBN!

Now, even though my bulldogs are wonderful and healthy, occasionally one of their pups will have an ailment. From 24 pups, we have had one case of Cherry eye, one heart murmur, one case of distachia and now Chevy Cheese who has spina bifida. All of these puppies (besides Chevy who is sitting in my lap as I type!) were found great homes and were diagnosed long before they ever went to their new homes. Luckily however, we have never lost a puppy, all that were born have survived. For that I am grateful. (Knock on Wood!!!!) And in each of those litters, all of their litter mates were perfect. So yes, even healthy wonderful bulldogs can have buried genes that come up on occasion. The biggest question should be "Will the breeder stand behind their puppy?".

What scares me is that I know what I put into my mothers and the puppies and they get only the best of the best.

When I read here "the puppy is currently being fed Purina by the breeder" it makes my skin crawl. I cannot even imagine the (future) health of the puppies that are born in puppy mills.

I think this is where so many of the bulldogs with health issues come from, because it starts with the parents genetics, but it also has to do with how mama is cared for while she is in gestation, and how the puppies are fed (nursed or tube fed), and what food they are weened to. I truly believe that the future health of the puppies starts with the care of the dam who has been bred and goes from there.

It is very true that most who find EBN get here because they are having a problem. So you cannot take all the members who join as being the majority of the breed owners. But those of us who have gotten help want to help others and pay it forward. It is a wonderful thing and makes me proud everyday to be a part of.

Now that we have Khloe and Chevy I guess I need to change my first statement. I have 8 bulldogs not 6! :ROFL2:

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
One of the reasons I chose Tonkas breeder is because they had a page on their site devoted to all of the issues they have had with all of their dogs and puppies and what they did within their breeding program to prevent that from happening again (spayed, neutered, removed from program, ect) They did not claim to only breed perfect dogs but they admitted their faults and bred to better them. Tonka is 9 months with no issues so far!

SirWinston87

Oct 16, 2012
Norcal
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Aside from allergies, I feel like Winston has been pretty healthy and he's Three.

I've always been curious. Do most EB's require palette surgery? Even well bred litters? I feel like I had Winston's clipped for more precautionary measures rather necessity. Does every bull dog owner have this done?

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I, too, have been very fortunate so far (knock on wood) to have a very healthy pup. He is 10 months old and so far, is perfect. We purchased an all inclusive vet package for his first year that included his check ups, shots and 2 illness visits. Luckily, we have only had to use one of the sick visits and that was because his nasal bordatello meds caused a nasty upper Respiratory infection. I also contribute his good health to EBN and all the excellent info that I get daily regarding food, treats, bathing, cleaning and daily care. I'm sure he wouldn't be as healthy without all of you! :) BUT I must say I am very concerned about the huge popularity of this breed and fear there will be more unhealthy bullies as many people are only eager to breed their dogs for monetary gain and buyers are only eager to have a bulldog, but know little about the Do's and Dont's of Bulldog Ownership :) I just hope and pray that more Bully Owners or Future Bully Owners stumble onto the forum, like I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Aside from allergies, I feel like Winston has been pretty healthy and he's Three.

I've always been curious. Do most EB's require palette surgery? Even well bred litters? I feel like I had Winston's clipped for more precautionary measures rather necessity. Does every bull dog owner have this done?

None of my bulldogs or any of their pups have ever required this surgery, all have great breathing. So no, as a matter of fact most bulldogs should not require this surgery.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
My Linus is 7 and fairly healthy - some ear infections and what not but nothing major. ANY breed of dog has issue but I agree with others - people tend to come to the board in times of duress. I know I did...come for the advice, stay for the fun. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.