Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone here have an adult english Bulldog without any medical issue?

Dog Park Attendant TonkaTruck28's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

One of the reasons I chose Tonkas breeder is because they had a page on their site devoted to all of the issues they have had with all of their dogs and puppies and what they did within their breeding program to prevent that from happening again (spayed, neutered, removed from program, ect) They did not claim to only breed perfect dogs but they admitted their faults and bred to better them. Tonka is 9 months with no issues so far!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Does Anyone here have an adult english Bulldog without any medical issue?

Thank you for the info. on "pet quality" puppies @Davidh!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Does Anyone here have an adult english Bulldog without any medical issue?

Aside from allergies, I feel like Winston has been pretty healthy and he's Three.

I've always been curious. Do most EB's require palette surgery? Even well bred litters? I feel like I had Winston's clipped for more precautionary measures rather necessity. Does every bull dog owner have this done?
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

I, too, have been very fortunate so far (knock on wood) to have a very healthy pup. He is 10 months old and so far, is perfect. We purchased an all inclusive vet package for his first year that included his check ups, shots and 2 illness visits. Luckily, we have only had to use one of the sick visits and that was because his nasal bordatello meds caused a nasty upper Respiratory infection. I also contribute his good health to EBN and all the excellent info that I get daily regarding food, treats, bathing, cleaning and daily care. I'm sure he wouldn't be as healthy without all of you! BUT I must say I am very concerned about the huge popularity of this breed and fear there will be more unhealthy bullies as many people are only eager to breed their dogs for monetary gain and buyers are only eager to have a bulldog, but know little about the Do's and Dont's of Bulldog Ownership I just hope and pray that more Bully Owners or Future Bully Owners stumble onto the forum, like I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SirWinston87 View Post
    Aside from allergies, I feel like Winston has been pretty healthy and he's Three.

I've always been curious. Do most EB's require palette surgery? Even well bred litters? I feel like I had Winston's clipped for more precautionary measures rather necessity. Does every bull dog owner have this done?

None of my bulldogs or any of their pups have ever required this surgery, all have great breathing. So no, as a matter of fact most bulldogs should not require this surgery.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

My Linus is 7 and fairly healthy - some ear infections and what not but nothing major. ANY breed of dog has issue but I agree with others - people tend to come to the board in times of duress. I know I did...come for the advice, stay for the fun.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

@linwhite - you are right in a lot of ways, my friend! When I first started considering getting "My Dream Dog", all I heard was "That breed has health issues." Undeterred, I did MASS research; I went to dog shows, I talked to breeders -- who show dogs --- and only considered those that had been referred highly by someone else. I still ended up with a dog that died of congenital heart failure at four years old. Even when you do everything right; it can go all wrong. Her death devastated me. Mable and I had been thru SO MUCH together. How could I possibly think of doing it again, right?

I love this breed. LOVE. THIS. BREED. They are the BEST dogs == bar none == and I've had everything from Afghan Hounds to Shitzus over the years.

I have two healthy dogs -- that both have high dollar insurance (I learned my lesson) - and I've yet to make a claim. Bo came from rescue and Bea came from a VERY HIGHLY recommended shower and breeder. Yes. Doing your homework helps. NOT buying a pup from a pet store, random people you don't know or thru the newspaper/craigslist is paramount to that success. If folks keep buying those pups, they'll keep breeding them.

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    Wilson and Emma are very healthy. But I'm sorry they are bulldogs and bulldogs are prone to certain things genetically speaking again that other dogs are not and that will always be the case no matter who the breeder is.
    This has been my observation as well. Because Remi is a pet and we aren't going to breed, dropping $3,000 on a "top breeder" just wasn't something we could do. I got my dog from a breeder off of greenfieldpuppies and they were nice people, the puppies were well socialized, and lived on a farm. The puppy checked out okay (with the exception of one testicle that hasn't dropped but there is still time yet.) I think the desirable traits people want in bulldogs also fall hand in hand with the health problems; example, the smashed nose. I chose a pup that wasn't too bad, so he will be able to breathe a bit better than some.

I know what you mean though. Sometimes I get a little sad that we've bred them this way to begin with but some of those issues can't be changed by the breeder alone.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ModernFemme View Post
    This has been my observation as well. Because Remi is a pet and we aren't going to breed, dropping $3,000 on a "top breeder" just wasn't something we could do.
    I just want to point out that I said "highly recommended breeder" -- not Top Breeder. Big difference. I didn't and don't care about a "champion" pup - but I do care about health and temperament. I also want to know that these folks are GOOD and DECENT people, supporting the EB community. That was my criteria.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

I have three bulldogs and 2 have pulmonic stenosis (one mild, one severe) and they came from two totally different breeders. Both I completely trust in their breeding practices. My Oliver only has VERY mild allergies (environmental). His eyes water a little, which causes tear stains, but other than that he's extremely healthy.
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

Lola is a year and a half and no health issues thus far. Her eyes are a little watery but I dont mind wiping her cute cheeks with a tissue once or twice a day. She snores like a boss, but i hear that's pretty common in bullies as well. Healthy as can be

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have had two english with no health issues....

I have three rescues with Spina bifida and frenchie born with small nostril which has to be fixed. I dont know if Im being sensitive, But please dont feel sorry for the handicapped one. Sure it would be nice if they were not but Most live long full and happy lives. I know mine are happy. I have had issues with Gracie due to her former owners not taking care of things but for the most part they are healthy other than normal bulldog issues. I wouldnt have my crew any other way. Changing diapers is easier than potty training is what I always say. lol

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads