General Question Demodex mange, Does it make your dog itch?

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. Does demodex mange make a dog itch? My puppy has 2 marks on his forehead which Thanks everybody for the input and support in my other thread and he is going for his first dip tomorrow but he also ITCHS several other places and am wondering if it is the same problem.?. ( Hopefully) Thanks Hero

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No answers? Was it a stupid question or something? hmmm

Lol you are funny!

Yes I believe it does itch them, but so do many types of dermatitis. Dry skin too....

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Desertsky. After reading a bunch of articals online . most of them go on to say, demodex mange is present in all dogs and even people and it is when a puppy isn't fully developed ( his immune system) that they can become a problem and the use of dips is almost becoming obsolete. If I had the courage I would go and buy some of this ivermection myself and topically put it on the 2 areas and possibly do as a breeder friend of mine suggested and give him small IM injections but I just don't want to hurt my puppy in any way. I am going to call the vet tomorrow and speak with one of her techs ( because my vet isn't in tomorrow. only the techs) and see about doing something topical with some ivermectin. I do not want to be bringing Buddy there for various dips when many vets are not using that treatment anymore and it can become expensive ( even thou I have insurance) I want to do what is right for Buddy if that makes sense as well as what most vets are doing.. Thanks Hero

sjones5254

Oct 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
gracie macy
my bulldog currently has demodex mange. it makes them scratch themselves raw. she is currently under vet treatment with ivermectin which she gets daily on top of a antibotic. the medication makes her feel like crap. she also has to get skin scrap testing every two weeks. i hope that helps you a little

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
When I see an itchy dog -- even one with demodex mange (my Bo had a small bout with it), I think first FLEA and then second, FOOD ISSUE. This isn't always the case of course and why knowing your dog well and having a competent vet is paramount to your dogs health and your peace of mind. Example; last week, Bo was spinning on his tail like a maniac. He'd get positioned in his crate and just GO AT IT rubbing the bars a certain way, grumbling the entire time. I was convinced he was in agony and I was certainly in agony listening to him go on like that. I'm ESPECIALLY cognizant of "under the tail care and tail pocket care because my first bully had such a time with it. Off to the vet we went.

Full Anal Glands, right? No. His little glands were just fine. The vet said that there's nothing wrong back there and that its possible that because of how dry it's been and how horrible the pollen has been that his butt area is simply sensitive to it and it itches. Give him some Benedryl. She didn't even charge me for the visit. I can't just pop a pill into the dog every time he starts spinning so I've come up with my own treatment regimen and use the pills as a last resort. Seems to be helping. When he starts break-dancing, I break out the hypo allergenic baby wipes (to make sure the area is nice and clean) and then slather on a gob of anti-itch cream. He cannot lick back there so it's safe.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Gunny has Dermodex, but it seems (compared to others here) to be super mild case even in his one small spot. No hair loss and he doesn't itch it at all.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
No answers? Was it a stupid question or something? hmmm

I thought I had answered your earlier!!! Demodex usually isn't usually very itchy (Herman didnt itch at all). But that doesn't mean Buddy isn't scratching at some new spots forming.

Whatever you do, please dont give him the dips yourself and don't purchase the Ivermectin and make your own dosage - that can be very dangerous. Just take him into the vet and let her treat him. If you're not comfortable with that vet's treatment, then take him to another vet. If you want to spare the expense, you can use Neem oil (recommended to me by someone on this site), or NuStock or Naturasil - these are all natural products that work pretty well. Naturasil was recommended to me by a herbalist who said it definitely works (its sulfur based like NuStock). Naturasil is a dip but all natural. Neem oil and NuStock you rub on to the spots to kill the mites.

I can even recommend some shampoos if you like, but please don't try to treat with Ivermectin yourself :(

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Elearn. I would if I had the courage to do it but I just don't. I am going to take him in this morning. Thanks every one. Hero

jessport

Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
Daisy has it and we are doing ivermectin via the vet. She bites at the spot on her leg, but it is rare. I've only seen her scratch a couple times so I only assume she does it when we are all asleep. Did u get to see the little bugs in the microscope? My vet let me look, it's very interesting. I think daisy is getting over hers because the hair is growing back in the 3 little bald spots she got. I wouldn't worry to much as you are going to treat it. We should get a thread going for mange treatment updates. :)
~daisy & jess

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Buddy came home from his dip and slept. Each time he goes to the vet he becomes excited and he becomes sleepy afterword. She ( the tech) said he behaved well and let her bath him with no problems. He goes back next Friday for the second bath. Thanks everyone. Hero

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Daisy has it and we are doing ivermectin via the vet. She bites at the spot on her leg, but it is rare. I've only seen her scratch a couple times so I only assume she does it when we are all asleep. Did u get to see the little bugs in the microscope? My vet let me look, it's very interesting. I think daisy is getting over hers because the hair is growing back in the 3 little bald spots she got. I wouldn't worry to much as you are going to treat it. We should get a thread going for mange treatment updates. :)
~daisy & jess

Hahaha, I was think the same thing - it seem like every week another EBN bully is diagnosed with mange. But that just goes to show it's very common in puppies (bully and other puppies).

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I see people talking about Demodex and mange, this is the first time I've heard about this. I googled it and found out what it is, ( mites). How common is this in bulldogs, is it something they can get sometimes, or is it a common thing for this breed? What causes it? And what should I be looking for. My 2 are 8 months old, and have a nice soft coat, and so far, have no skin problems , other than I'm in the middle of a food switch, Royal Canin to Fromms Beef Fritata, because Blossom seems to be sensitive, she has pink ears, chin, face, and her eyes are teary, and red. I'm hoping this change in their food will e well tolerated , it's been a week, poops are normal, seem to be doing well on it, we'll give it a few weeks, and see if her skin clears up. How does mange look in its early stages, as I'm sure if they get this, is easier to treat when it first surfaces, rather than when it gets bad.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I see people talking about Demodex and mange, this is the first time I've heard about this. I googled it and found out what it is, ( mites). How common is this in bulldogs, is it something they can get sometimes, or is it a common thing for this breed? What causes it? And what should I be looking for. My 2 are 8 months old, and have a nice soft coat, and so far, have no skin problems , other than I'm in the middle of a food switch, Royal Canin to Fromms Beef Fritata, because Blossom seems to be sensitive, she has pink ears, chin, face, and her eyes are teary, and red. I'm hoping this change in their food will e well tolerated , it's been a week, poops are normal, seem to be doing well on it, we'll give it a few weeks, and see if her skin clears up. How does mange look in its early stages, as I'm sure if they get this, is easier to treat when it first surfaces, rather than when it gets bad.

It's not breed specific. It's very common in puppies in general. It happens when their developing immune system is compromised (stress, illness, hormones, use of antibiotics, vaccinations, etc).

If your pup gets it, you will notice some balding spots, they will grow in size, usually about the size of a quarter. Usually they wont itch. It will look like the pores are clogged sometimes (like little polk-a-dots). Some poor pups will get it all over their bodies, but it can be treated, it will just take time.

But keep in mind there are two kinds of mange - demodex which is not contagious, but can be difficult, and scarcoptic which is highly contagious, but fairly easy to treat. If you notice some balding spots, get to the vet ASAP because like you said the quicker you notice and get it diagnosed, the better.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.