Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Demodex mange, Does it make your dog itch?

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Demodex mange, Does it make your dog itch?

Quote Originally Posted by jessport View Post
    Daisy has it and we are doing ivermectin via the vet. She bites at the spot on her leg, but it is rare. I've only seen her scratch a couple times so I only assume she does it when we are all asleep. Did u get to see the little bugs in the microscope? My vet let me look, it's very interesting. I think daisy is getting over hers because the hair is growing back in the 3 little bald spots she got. I wouldn't worry to much as you are going to treat it. We should get a thread going for mange treatment updates.
    ~daisy & jess

Hahaha, I was think the same thing - it seem like every week another EBN bully is diagnosed with mange. But that just goes to show it's very common in puppies (bully and other puppies).

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I see people talking about Demodex and mange, this is the first time I've heard about this. I googled it and found out what it is, ( mites). How common is this in bulldogs, is it something they can get sometimes, or is it a common thing for this breed? What causes it? And what should I be looking for. My 2 are 8 months old, and have a nice soft coat, and so far, have no skin problems , other than I'm in the middle of a food switch, Royal Canin to Fromms Beef Fritata, because Blossom seems to be sensitive, she has pink ears, chin, face, and her eyes are teary, and red. I'm hoping this change in their food will e well tolerated , it's been a week, poops are normal, seem to be doing well on it, we'll give it a few weeks, and see if her skin clears up. How does mange look in its early stages, as I'm sure if they get this, is easier to treat when it first surfaces, rather than when it gets bad.

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    I see people talking about Demodex and mange, this is the first time I've heard about this. I googled it and found out what it is, ( mites). How common is this in bulldogs, is it something they can get sometimes, or is it a common thing for this breed? What causes it? And what should I be looking for. My 2 are 8 months old, and have a nice soft coat, and so far, have no skin problems , other than I'm in the middle of a food switch, Royal Canin to Fromms Beef Fritata, because Blossom seems to be sensitive, she has pink ears, chin, face, and her eyes are teary, and red. I'm hoping this change in their food will e well tolerated , it's been a week, poops are normal, seem to be doing well on it, we'll give it a few weeks, and see if her skin clears up. How does mange look in its early stages, as I'm sure if they get this, is easier to treat when it first surfaces, rather than when it gets bad.

It's not breed specific. It's very common in puppies in general. It happens when their developing immune system is compromised (stress, illness, hormones, use of antibiotics, vaccinations, etc).

If your pup gets it, you will notice some balding spots, they will grow in size, usually about the size of a quarter. Usually they wont itch. It will look like the pores are clogged sometimes (like little polk-a-dots). Some poor pups will get it all over their bodies, but it can be treated, it will just take time.

But keep in mind there are two kinds of mange - demodex which is not contagious, but can be difficult, and scarcoptic which is highly contagious, but fairly easy to treat. If you notice some balding spots, get to the vet ASAP because like you said the quicker you notice and get it diagnosed, the better.

Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Also how common is yeast on the dogs paws? And is there any ways of preventing it, and what products get rid of it if they do develop yeast? Where else can yeast be found, ears?, folds? Tails? I'm asking these questions because I want to avoid them if this is possible, and to at least know what to look for, and catch it early if it does develop. Also I want to have the proper products in the house just in case it's needed, kind of like a first aid kit for the dogs, if needed. I had Jack Russell for 14 years, and never encountered mange, or yeast, or allergies, so this is all new to me, and want to have the proper information regarding this, and know what to do if I should encounter this in the future. Thanks everyone as always for any information and experiences you can share.

Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Thank you , good information to know, prevention and early treatment are always a good idea.

Bully Bootie Duty
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

I might make sure I had health insurance for your puppy. lol I swear. I never thought all the rumors about ebd's having health issues could be true and I only have one and have HAD one but yes health issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads