Help Needed! Very yeasty facial folds.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
She is 7 months old. I was feeding her natures variety frozen raw beef for 3 weeks. I switched her on Sunday to a home made veggie melody and beef. By the next am her nose rope and face folds looked liked those pics and it only got worse. By Tuesday I stopped with the veggies. Continued the beef it has only gotten worse. They do seem inflamed especially the nose rope, can't really detect a smell though. @Meggs19

Hmm...then perhaps she developed a sensitivity to the beef? You could always try a new protein source and see if that helps or do some food trials. Did you introduce anything else new to her environment-a new detergent or new toy-any type of treat? I would just try to narrow that down. I don't have much experience with food allergies. It certainly seems that if those symptoms popped up right away that it's most likely a food issue but it could still be environmental too. I am sure others can comment more on this!

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
So when duschess was younger she would try to chew on the metal legs of the coffee table to sooth her gums. LAst night she jammed her face into the legs of the coffee table. Im assuming to sooth her face. She stayed like that for a good 15 minutes. [MENTION=3445]Meggs19[/MENTION] I did switch her protein to duck as of yesterday thinking a possible beef allergy but nothing changed if anything maybe a bit worse. Like I said she was on beef for a good 3 weeks prior. She also gets a daily probiotic, braggs ACV, salmon oil and coconut oil on alternating days. Here is a pic of her lst night.
photo.jpg

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
View attachment 29004View attachment 29005View attachment 29006

Here is how she looks this AM. I called the vet waiting for a return call. Like I said I am out of town and the nearest local vet is like 3.5 hours away. I won't be back until late next week. My vet knows bulldogs through and through, they make up 70% of his patient load. the duoxo pads the vet recommended havent really been improving the situation. As of this morning she also has thick brown gunk in her ears, one side more so than the other. Any recomendations? What can I ask him to write me a prescription for, if he will that is. Im thinking if he writes me a prescription I can order from petmeds and have it overnighted to me. @desertskybulldogs , @jackieisgreat, @JeannieCO ,
Dang her folds looks just like Emmas. I'm been thinking it's just allergies as she drys up during the day and only is wet when she's up and moving around. I've tried the Maloket wipes too but it doesn't make a difference for her redness so maybe it is just allergies she has.

Here's a wonderful article I put together that has a great video that explains all about yeast. It's the last video. It's almost 19 minutes long but it's a must watch.

The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...-Nose-Ropes-Folds-Paws-Tail-Pockets-and-Vulva

Be sure to keep us updated though. I have to take Jack to the vet next weekend and I'll bring Emma along so he can look at her then. She just doesn't have a smell in her folds though.

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
So I sent my vet the pics I posted and he prescribed mupirocin ointment 2%. He also wanted to prescribe an oral antibitoc but i opted to hold off on the oral antibiotic until i take her in for check up. I am taking her in next weds when I am back home. Anybody ever used this cream? I mentioned panalog and he said it is no longer available and I mentioned animax which is the generic and he said he preferred the mupirocin.

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Panolog's available all over the internet? :confused: Could it be that he's just not carrying it anymore?
Every site I found says discontinued due to manufacturer back order. Called petmeds and they offer animax which is the generic. At that point my vet already faxed me the prescription. My hands r kind of tied. I mean not very many vets will give a prescription without an office visit. So I'm just grateful he offered me something. I will asked him about the generic from petmeds or another comparable when I go for office visit next weds.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Every site I found says discontinued due to manufacturer back order. Called petmeds and they offer animax which is the generic. At that point my vet already faxed me the prescription. My hands r kind of tied. I mean not very many vets will give a prescription without an office visit. So I'm just grateful he offered me something. I will asked him about the generic from petmeds or another comparable when I go for office visit next weds.
Ok then it's really just backordered, I hope. I saw it on Foster & David's website. That was a great idea to email your vet. I've done that with mine too after Emma started bleding after her heat. I got a response back.

Try here http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/RxPetInfo.cfm:)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok im late to this but heres my 2 cents. doesnt have to be the protein that is causing this. you are giving many supplements also. not saying they are bad but when tracking down an allergy you have to start from the ground up and if its getting worse it maybe that you are still giving it something that is causing it or could also be it will take a few days to get out of the system. with bullies you have to look at the tiniest thing from treats to supplement to food to even heartworm meds. id stop everything and just feed the food. if it gets better cool then you know its one of the supplements if not then you need to keep searching. until you stop the cause all you do is treat the symptoms and they wont get better. the vet has already prescribed stuff so i wont go into treatment for it. in the future i use chloraseb flush that i get from entirely pets to treat ear yeast and bacteria as you can wipe out the ear and put it in the canal to. malaket wipes can be used to wipe the ear and then squeezed down into the canal also. i like duoxo for yeast and face folds and you may also need to put an anti fungal on it to or maybe wipe some lotrimin powder in it as well. i hope your baby gets better.

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] thanks for the reply, I'm almost positive that this arose from the fruit/veggie mix. I have been giving other supplements for well over a month but when I gave the veggies it literally happened over night, I think it make have been too rich in sugar which I have been reading yeast feeds on. What do you think? Have you ever heard or used the cream my vet prescribed mupirocin? It was a bit pricey $48 for a tiny tube.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
@cowsmom thanks for the reply, I'm almost positive that this arose from the fruit/veggie mix. I have been giving other supplements for well over a month but when I gave the veggies it literally happened over night, I think it make have been too rich in sugar which I have been reading yeast feeds on. What do you think? Have you ever heard or used the cream my vet prescribed mupirocin? It was a bit pricey $48 for a tiny tube.
ive never use this on a dog but it is prescribed in my pharmacy with good results. its may take some time then for it to clear up if it was the mix that caused it. yes yeast is caused by wetness and sugar so make sure the folds stay dry. looks like your dog will be a meat bully for a bit. you may want to give some benadryl for itching till the face calms down.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Okay, I'm no expert by any means, but I'm thinking you might ought to go back to the where you were before this all started. Keep treating her face and ears, but go back to the patties until it all clears up and then move forward, one new food at a time. The slow introductions will hopefully make it easy to see what foods triggered this reaction. Hope your baby is better soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
So when duschess was younger she would try to chew on the metal legs of the coffee table to sooth her gums. LAst night she jammed her face into the legs of the coffee table. Im assuming to sooth her face. She stayed like that for a good 15 minutes. @Meggs19 I did switch her protein to duck as of yesterday thinking a possible beef allergy but nothing changed if anything maybe a bit worse. Like I said she was on beef for a good 3 weeks prior. She also gets a daily probiotic, braggs ACV, salmon oil and coconut oil on alternating days. Here is a pic of her lst night.
View attachment 29012

Poor baby!! Just as an FYI, when I stopped giving Herman salmon oil, I noticed that his eyes were less red and his ears didnt have little red bumps in them anymore and he stopped shaking his head. So it could be the salmon oil as well - or like others have said, any of the other supplements that she might be allergic to.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I use this every day ( malacetic ultra or the regular) and my puppy goes NUTTS. He will run around like it is stinging him or something. If I just use something like Epi octic it doesnt seem to bother him but for some reason that Malaectic on his face folds and rope makes him run around the room for a bit. Hero

I'm not sure the Malaecitic should be used everyday? I always thought so .... I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.