Help Needed! Very yeasty facial folds.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Those Duoxo pads work the best for Bea's yeast issue -- when it occurs -- in her VERY DEEP tail pocket. First, we use the Duoxo shampoo as directed and dry WELL "wicking" the water out of the pocket with soft cloths. Then use the pads as a follow up. I just got them for $9.50 on Amazon! Bought two at that price!

Douxo Chlorhexidine 3% PS Pads (30 Count)
by Douxo
4.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews (39 customer reviews) |
List Price: $38.48
Price: $9.50 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $28.98 (75%)

In Stock.
Sold by Your Fit Pet and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.
Want it delivered Monday, October 22?
Order it in the next 32 hours and 3 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout.
Details
5 new from $9.12

These medicated pads provide unparalleled activity in topical
management of pyoderma and Malassezia. Can be used for the
antiseptic cleaning of interdigital areas, chin acne lesions, and
nasal/lip and other fold pyodermas in cats and dogs.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
This may be a creepy question, but I would love to see pictures if you have them. I think Remi may have something similar, which may be clearing up due to my treatment of the tear stains. (A mixture of the Duoxo, Desitin, and soon the apple cider)

Here are the pads I got, but I can't attest to their awesomeness as I've only used them 3 days. http://www.amazon.com/Douxo-Chlorhe...?ie=UTF8&qid=1350649081&sr=8-1&keywords=Duoxo

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I have been using the duoxo pads for about 3 days and they don't seem to be doing much. I will try to get some pics up at some point today of her folds. For everyone else I have another question: today duchess has now developed thick brown gunk in her ears. Is this yeast? I have been wiping them down with duoxo pads also. I am currently out of town I'm gonna call the vet again today to see what he wants to do until I get back. I think she may need a vet visit unless you guys have any more suggestions.

This may be a creepy question, but I would love to see pictures if you have them. I think Remi may have something similar, which may be clearing up due to my treatment of the tear stains. (A mixture of the Duoxo, Desitin, and soon the apple cider)

Here are the pads I got, but I can't attest to their awesomeness as I've only used them 3 days. http://www.amazon.com/Douxo-Chlorhexidine-3%-Pads-Count/dp/B002LO0MGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350649081&sr=8-1&keywords=Duoxo

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I have been using the duoxo pads for about 3 days and they don't seem to be doing much. I will try to get some pics up at some point today of her folds. For everyone else I have another question: today duchess has now developed thick brown gunk in her ears. Is this yeast? I have been wiping them down with duoxo pads also. I am currently out of town I'm gonna call the vet again today to see what he wants to do until I get back. I think she may need a vet visit unless you guys have any more suggestions.

My answer would be take your bully to the vet - definitely... I've had my bully a total of 3 weeks (ish) and can't really be of much assistance. Hopefully the veterans will step in and answer your questions...

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg

Here is how she looks this AM. I called the vet waiting for a return call. Like I said I am out of town and the nearest local vet is like 3.5 hours away. I won't be back until late next week. My vet knows bulldogs through and through, they make up 70% of his patient load. the duoxo pads the vet recommended havent really been improving the situation. As of this morning she also has thick brown gunk in her ears, one side more so than the other. Any recomendations? What can I ask him to write me a prescription for, if he will that is. Im thinking if he writes me a prescription I can order from petmeds and have it overnighted to me. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] , @jackieisgreat, [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] ,

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Sorry..I'm so late! Maloket Wipes are available, they are NOT one of Jake's favorites. They smell very strong! We prefer the Duoxo just because the smell is much better. I can't imagine your vet won't give you panalog. We keep a tube on hand for kitty ears and doggie everything:D

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
View attachment 29004View attachment 29005View attachment 29006

Here is how she looks this AM. I called the vet waiting for a return call. Like I said I am out of town and the nearest local vet is like 3.5 hours away. I won't be back until late next week. My vet knows bulldogs through and through, they make up 70% of his patient load. the duoxo pads the vet recommended havent really been improving the situation. As of this morning she also has thick brown gunk in her ears, one side more so than the other. Any recomendations? What can I ask him to write me a prescription for, if he will that is. Im thinking if he writes me a prescription I can order from petmeds and have it overnighted to me. @desertskybulldogs , @jackieisgreat, @JeannieCO ,

Could the dark gunk be ear wax? Or is it different? Earwax can be cleaned with any good / safe earwash. I think some people on EBN use Witch Hazel since it dries quickly. I use Oti Clens from my vet.

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Sorry..I'm so late! Maloket Wipes are available, they are NOT one of Jake's favorites. They smell very strong! We prefer the Duoxo just because the smell is much better. I can't imagine your vet won't give you panalog. We keep a tube on hand for kitty ears and doggie everything:D

How about the thick brown gunk in her ears, is that due to yeast? Just started this am. What do you recommend for that?

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Could the dark gunk be ear wax? Or is it different? Earwax can be cleaned with any good / safe earwash. I think some people on EBN use Witch Hazel since it dries quickly. I use Oti Clens from my vet.

I thought it was earwax, I clean her ears about 2-3 week with rubbing alcohol as that's what the vet told me to do. But as of this morning it was pretty thick. From the pics is that definately a yeast infection?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
How about the thick brown gunk in her ears, is that due to yeast? Just started this am. What do you recommend for that?

I use witch hazel and cotton pads. You can buy premoistened witch hazel pads too. I saturate the pads with witch hazel.squeeze out the excess and wrap it around my finger. You will be able to reach way down into their ears. I keep repeating until the pad is clean. Best part of this is you don't have to worry about leaving moisture in their ears. Witch Hazel is a natural astringent and will totally dry on its own!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I thought it was earwax, I clean her ears about 2-3 week with rubbing alcohol as that's what the vet told me to do. But as of this morning it was pretty thick. From the pics is that definately a yeast infection?

I'm not sure if that's a yeast infection, I'm trying to find out the same for Herman - he has those stains in his eye folds, between his toes, etc, in all the places that get wet. I've tried the Duoxo pads on those - no help. So I've been trying to keep it all dry. Herman's is not irritated at all, just the red fur. Is hers irritated (itching, red skin, etc)? If so it might very well be a yeast infection.

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess

I use witch hazel and cotton pads. You can buy premoistened witch hazel pads too. I saturate the pads with witch hazel.squeeze out the excess and wrap it around my finger. You will be able to reach way down into their ears. I keep repeating until the pad is clean. Best part of this is you don't have to worry about leaving moisture in their ears. Witch Hazel is a natural astringent and will totally dry on its own!

Ok I'll get some witch hazel and try that on her ears. From the pics is that definately a yeast infection?

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION] I've caught her pawing at her face a couple times, this literally came overnight, she had zero stains a week ago, I made a veggie melody for her as I have now started home prepared raw diet and I'm 99.9% sure the veggie melody brought this on.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
How old is your puppy? Tonka's tears stains progressively got worse as he developed allergies and had more runny eyes and nose from them. I think he was around 7 months when his allergies (environmental mostly, we think) started to really bother him. Allergies can develop at any time. I find it odd that veggies would cause a huge allergy issue but I suppose there could be one he is allergic too...usually it is a specific protein or grains that cause allergy irritation, though. Is there a sour smell in the facial folds? That's usually indicative of a yeast issue. The reddish color doesn't always mean yeast, that can just be a tear stain issue. I would look for pinkish inflamed skin or a smell to be sure.

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
She is 7 months old. I was feeding her natures variety frozen raw beef for 3 weeks. I switched her on Sunday to a home made veggie melody and beef. By the next am her nose rope and face folds looked liked those pics and it only got worse. By Tuesday I stopped with the veggies. Continued the beef it has only gotten worse. They do seem inflamed especially the nose rope, can't really detect a smell though. [MENTION=3445]Meggs19[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.