Thread: Very yeasty facial folds.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Very yeasty facial folds.

Quote Originally Posted by Scueva View Post
    How about the thick brown gunk in her ears, is that due to yeast? Just started this am. What do you recommend for that?
    I use witch hazel and cotton pads. You can buy premoistened witch hazel pads too. I saturate the pads with witch hazel.squeeze out the excess and wrap it around my finger. You will be able to reach way down into their ears. I keep repeating until the pad is clean. Best part of this is you don't have to worry about leaving moisture in their ears. Witch Hazel is a natural astringent and will totally dry on its own!

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I thought it was earwax, I clean her ears about 2-3 week with rubbing alcohol as that's what the vet told me to do. But as of this morning it was pretty thick. From the pics is that definately a yeast infection?
    I'm not sure if that's a yeast infection, I'm trying to find out the same for Herman - he has those stains in his eye folds, between his toes, etc, in all the places that get wet. I've tried the Duoxo pads on those - no help. So I've been trying to keep it all dry. Herman's is not irritated at all, just the red fur. Is hers irritated (itching, red skin, etc)? If so it might very well be a yeast infection.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Sorry..I'm so late! Maloket Wipes are available, they are NOT one of Jake's favorites. They smell very strong! We prefer the Duoxo just because the smell is much better. I can't imagine your vet won't give you panalog. We keep a tube on hand for kitty ears and doggie everything
    Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    I use witch hazel and cotton pads. You can buy premoistened witch hazel pads too. I saturate the pads with witch hazel.squeeze out the excess and wrap it around my finger. You will be able to reach way down into their ears. I keep repeating until the pad is clean. Best part of this is you don't have to worry about leaving moisture in their ears. Witch Hazel is a natural astringent and will totally dry on its own!

Ok I'll get some witch hazel and try that on her ears. From the pics is that definately a yeast infection?

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

@elearn I've caught her pawing at her face a couple times, this literally came overnight, she had zero stains a week ago, I made a veggie melody for her as I have now started home prepared raw diet and I'm 99.9% sure the veggie melody brought this on.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

How old is your puppy? Tonka's tears stains progressively got worse as he developed allergies and had more runny eyes and nose from them. I think he was around 7 months when his allergies (environmental mostly, we think) started to really bother him. Allergies can develop at any time. I find it odd that veggies would cause a huge allergy issue but I suppose there could be one he is allergic too...usually it is a specific protein or grains that cause allergy irritation, though. Is there a sour smell in the facial folds? That's usually indicative of a yeast issue. The reddish color doesn't always mean yeast, that can just be a tear stain issue. I would look for pinkish inflamed skin or a smell to be sure.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

She is 7 months old. I was feeding her natures variety frozen raw beef for 3 weeks. I switched her on Sunday to a home made veggie melody and beef. By the next am her nose rope and face folds looked liked those pics and it only got worse. By Tuesday I stopped with the veggies. Continued the beef it has only gotten worse. They do seem inflamed especially the nose rope, can't really detect a smell though. @Meggs19

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

She is 7 months old. I was feeding her natures variety frozen raw beef for 3 weeks. I switched her on Sunday to a home made veggie melody and beef. By the next am her nose rope and face folds looked liked those pics and it only got worse. By Tuesday I stopped with the veggies. Continued the beef it has only gotten worse. They do seem inflamed especially the nose rope, can't really detect a smell though. @Meggs19
    Hmm...then perhaps she developed a sensitivity to the beef? You could always try a new protein source and see if that helps or do some food trials. Did you introduce anything else new to her environment-a new detergent or new toy-any type of treat? I would just try to narrow that down. I don't have much experience with food allergies. It certainly seems that if those symptoms popped up right away that it's most likely a food issue but it could still be environmental too. I am sure others can comment more on this!

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

So when duschess was younger she would try to chew on the metal legs of the coffee table to sooth her gums. LAst night she jammed her face into the legs of the coffee table. Im assuming to sooth her face. She stayed like that for a good 15 minutes. @Meggs19 I did switch her protein to duck as of yesterday thinking a possible beef allergy but nothing changed if anything maybe a bit worse. Like I said she was on beef for a good 3 weeks prior. She also gets a daily probiotic, braggs ACV, salmon oil and coconut oil on alternating days. Here is a pic of her lst night.
    -photo-jpg

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Ok I'll get some witch hazel and try that on her ears. From the pics is that definately a yeast infection?
    Yes it looks like yeast to me. @cowsmom ..Sandra..what do you think?

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Attachment 29004Attachment 29005Attachment 29006

Here is how she looks this AM. I called the vet waiting for a return call. Like I said I am out of town and the nearest local vet is like 3.5 hours away. I won't be back until late next week. My vet knows bulldogs through and through, they make up 70% of his patient load. the duoxo pads the vet recommended havent really been improving the situation. As of this morning she also has thick brown gunk in her ears, one side more so than the other. Any recomendations? What can I ask him to write me a prescription for, if he will that is. Im thinking if he writes me a prescription I can order from petmeds and have it overnighted to me. @desertskybulldogs , @jackieisgreat, @JeannieCO ,
    Dang her folds looks just like Emmas. I'm been thinking it's just allergies as she drys up during the day and only is wet when she's up and moving around. I've tried the Maloket wipes too but it doesn't make a difference for her redness so maybe it is just allergies she has.

Here's a wonderful article I put together that has a great video that explains all about yeast. It's the last video. It's almost 19 minutes long but it's a must watch.

The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...kets-and-Vulva

Be sure to keep us updated though. I have to take Jack to the vet next weekend and I'll bring Emma along so he can look at her then. She just doesn't have a smell in her folds though.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

So I sent my vet the pics I posted and he prescribed mupirocin ointment 2%. He also wanted to prescribe an oral antibitoc but i opted to hold off on the oral antibiotic until i take her in for check up. I am taking her in next weds when I am back home. Anybody ever used this cream? I mentioned panalog and he said it is no longer available and I mentioned animax which is the generic and he said he preferred the mupirocin.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Panolog's available all over the internet? Could it be that he's just not carrying it anymore?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads