Agh!! MORE diarrehea!!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Is it just MY pups? Or does everyone with a Bully have a continual issue with loose-poops? I can't believe how often one of these girls has a bout with this! Gertie had it before we went to Denver, never figured out why. I even took her to the vet. $80. later we had a clean bill of health, complete fecal showed nothing. She cleared up and then Ida (we think) had a bad reaction to the water while we were traveling. She was just finally firm again in Denver, we used bottled water on the trip home, and now after being back a few days, Ida Is doing it again. They eat more rice and hamb. than regular diet. Anyone else going thru this?

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Mr.Beefy has not been "firm" since we got him. The vet has attributed it to poor diet before and now we are still doing the whole food switch till we find whats right. Is ur puppy getting enough fiber.

lgonz010

Sep 23, 2010
Riverside, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny
My puppy had a similar problem. When we got him we started him on Blue Buffalo puppy food and then all of a sudden he started having diarrhea for a month straight. I didn't know what it could be so I took him to the vet, ran all kinds of test all to discover there was nothing wrong. I started taking away treats, and making sure he didn't eat any snails or bugs, then I started giving him bottled water and still he had it. When I decided to change his food to Royal Canin he almost overnight stop with the diarrhea. Ofcourse it was still lose because I had to slowly get him started on it, but since he's been on this food his poop is completely normal and I am so relieved. You probably just need to find different kind of food that will work with their sensitive digestive system.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree it must be something that is affecting her maybe? Cutty does go thru times when he is more loose for whatever reason but I would think if she is healthy then maybe the snacks or something she is eating is causing this.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
My guess would be possible stress due to the traveling. Just keep an eye on it and make sure she doesn't dehydrate: she needs to stay alert and active. I hope things get better real soon!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My guess would be possible stress due to the traveling. Just keep an eye on it and make sure she doesn't dehydrate: she needs to stay alert and active. I hope things get better real soon!

My thoughts exactly. Going out of routine can stress their tummies even if they seem to be normal. How runny is it? Watery or soft serve ice cream?

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
It's not liquid at all, sort of just soft, not runny. There's no blood or mucus, she's completely herself, active, normal appetite, etc. Still romps and plays all day with Gertie. I'm wondering if my husband is the culprit here. He is really bad about giving treats. Instead of one, he gives a handful, if I don't catch him and stop him. But I stay on top of that pretty close. They're on a very good quality food, so I don't think that's the problem.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
What food are you feeding? It may just not work with your particular dogs.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I had this problem with Linus as a puppy (which made me completely off the wall about Truman's one bout of the poops) and after being on a few medications, a change in diet did the trick. Apparently, the food we were feeding him was encouraging some bacterial overgrowth in the large intestine. So I would consider a change in diet.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I feed NAture's Variety Chicken and Brown Rice. If it's diet related, would they be firming up and then getting soft again, and then firming up? We've taken Ida completely off the treats and she's firming up and she didn't poop in her crate last night (Yay Ida!!). So I think she's on the mend. I leave tomorrow for Mich. for several weeks. AND, we got a webcam, and my husband promises to get on it so I can visit with all my babies, Gertie, Ida and grandkids. So perhaps when I get back I'll see about a change, if we're still having issues. I'd love to try Fromm, but the closest place that sells it is sooooo far away!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I feed NAture's Variety Chicken and Brown Rice. If it's diet related, would they be firming up and then getting soft again, and then firming up? We've taken Ida completely off the treats and she's firming up and she didn't poop in her crate last night (Yay Ida!!). So I think she's on the mend. I leave tomorrow for Mich. for several weeks. AND, we got a webcam, and my husband promises to get on it so I can visit with all my babies, Gertie, Ida and grandkids. So perhaps when I get back I'll see about a change, if we're still having issues. I'd love to try Fromm, but the closest place that sells it is sooooo far away!

[MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] Contact Lindathedogsmaid, she has left her email many places on here for people to contact her. I had the same problem, according to the Fromm website the only stores around me that sold it were far away. Well she contacted some people at Fromm and got me in contact with a local distributor. After talking to the distributor she told me the feed store that I always goes to will special order it for me. So now I just go in there a couple days before their shipment, give them a $20 deposit and a couple days later they call me to tell me its in. Linda is super helpful!

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
My puppy had a similar problem. When we got him we started him on Blue Buffalo puppy food and then all of a sudden he started having diarrhea for a month straight. I didn't know what it could be so I took him to the vet, ran all kinds of test all to discover there was nothing wrong. I started taking away treats, and making sure he didn't eat any snails or bugs, then I started giving him bottled water and still he had it. When I decided to change his food to Royal Canin he almost overnight stop with the diarrhea. Ofcourse it was still lose because I had to slowly get him started on it, but since he's been on this food his poop is completely normal and I am so relieved. You probably just need to find different kind of food that will work with their sensitive digestive system.
Well you and I are having the same problem and it may be directly related to the Blue Buffalo food. I just bought a 15 lbe bag of it 3 days back and since yesterday evening my Pepper has had the trots like you would not believe. It has started again today since 6 a.m. this morning and has been going on all day. The poor girl has had at least 6 accidents already. I had just switched her diet when I bought the BB dogfood and was using it for her to eat between her meals of rice and baby food and Yougurt. I have spent the whole day thinking it was the yougurt and cottage cheese and even threw it in the trash though she has been well accustomed to it for the past 3-4 months. So maybe it is that Blue Buffalo dogfood. I will ask a few pro's and check online and post again if I hear something

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I couldn't find the Fromm's mature adult classic Linda recommended for Abby, I ended up getting it online, 15% off online coupon made up for shipping, shipped to my front door and I could sign up for a monthly automatic!!! I would check to see if a privately owned shop will order it for you.

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
OK. I just sent off an email to my breeder, no reply yet BUT I have been doing a search on blue buffalo dog food and diarrhea and IT IS NOT GOOD. What I have read makes me so leery of this food that as of now I am not feeding my dog another morsel of it. There are too numerous complaints about this as well as other problems and even some vets are suggesting that you not serve it. I thought it was something else I was doing that was causing my Pepper to be so sick and have felt so guilty.
So I am taking this 15 pound bag of food back to the vet and let her know what I found online and maybe she can give me crdeit on the purchase price of something that is not such a risk.
Anyway DON"T USE BLUE BUFFALO

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.