General Question Demodex mange

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. He is supposed to be at my vets on Friday morning between 830 and 930. I am going to contact some other people I know and already have written a breeder I know who is very helpful. anyways Thanks everyone for the support oo and David I do give him yogurt every day.. Sometimes 2 x a day actually. Thanks Hero

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Demodex - Zelda had it. Our vet went the dip route. The price you were quoted seems quite reasonable. Ivermectin works too. Going through puberty will often bring it on. That's a big stress on the dog and that contributes to bringing it on a lot. That's probably why the vet mentioned getting him fixed.

The first thing you have to do if ind out if it's considered just a spot or two or if it's generalized. If it's just a spot many folks will wait and see igf it clears up by itself - it often will If it's considered generalized, it needs to be treated.

I can not stress this enough - RESPONSIBLE BREEDERS DO NOT BREED DOGS WHO HAVE HAD GENERALIZED DEMODEX!! The weak immune system that allows it to flair and generalize is an inherited characteristic. If you breed a dog that has had Generalized Demo you create more dogs that will have Generalized Demo. If we ever want to have EBs considered anything resembling healthy we've got to stop breeding and accepting unhealthy one. "It's just one of those things EBs have" will never go away if we don't make it go away. End of sermon.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. Buddy had his first dip. The next day he was scratching his face again.. I already received an email where that claim has been sent out. Trupanion only pays for the $45.00 Miltaban. not the pre- bath so after reading all I can find on this I am calling the vet tomorrow to see if we can try something topical and oral.. I hate taking him there for the day knowing it might not even work. Anyways Thanks everyone for the help and support.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh i so hope your baby gets better soon. i think some people do some immune boosting to help get rid of the mange. maybe adding a probiotic and i know some have used neem oil to help clear it up also.

Members online

No members online now.