Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Demodex mange

Quote Originally Posted by Hero4u2b View Post
    Wow I hope that isn't something that I have to look forward to ! I rather just do the ivamectin if possible. I spoke with a few other vets on the phone here in Florida to get a second opinion and none used the dip anymore. I do have health insurance for Buddy but don't want to wear out my insurance. They already paid a $,1,640. claim for 5 days of hospitilzation for Buddy when he contacted parvo around here somewhere. Maybe I should ask if the ivamection alone is an option to try? and mention I spoke with someone going thru the same thing and had to do the ivamectin anyways?
    Yea see what they say. The vet I was going to did the dips. But after 3 dips I wanted a scraping to see if she still had mange. But for some reason they would never do the scraping. They would just keep saying.. well bring her back in for another dip. And that they don't do scrapings. That once the hair started to grow back then we would know she was getting better.
    I was like what??? I never heard of such a thing!
    I know you are suppose to get scrapings done like every 2 weeks or so I think.
    So I took her to another vet and he put her on Ivermectin.
    So fingers crossed that this helps now. After the 3 dips she still had Mange. I'm not sure how many dips would be needed. Every case is different. But Lily only had 2 small blad spots.
    I hope everything works out for you!!

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hero4u2b View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input and support. I really don't want to neuter him I think until about a year or year and a half of age. I read that a bulldog won't fully develope all their prominent features if they are neutered young. I do want Buddy to look like a bulldog so I will wait if I can.. Thanks everyone, Hero
    Right - the reason to neuter when mange is involved is because the hormones affect the immune system and make it difficult to get rid of the mites. Neutering is not because of transferring the mites. Since its just a few spots you wont have to since you caught it early. But also you need to work on building up his immune system.

Buddy will probably recover in no time because you take good care of him. Don't forget he had parvo and that was a big hit to his immune system - with the meds, etc because of that is probably why he's showing the spots now.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

@Hero4u2b I would not do the dip. The only reason to use the dip if your bully has a severe case of it. If it is localized then a topical ointment and some antibiotics will work. They get this from being stressed or they have a low immune system. Start giving your baby some plain yogurt in the morning and I would put them on either NuVet or HardyPet supplement every day to help build their immune system and this will help to rid them of these mites and help prevent further infections. Most all dogs have the mites, but their immune system keeps the mites at bay. Most adult dogs will build an immunity to the mites. Plus you do not need to neuter your bully yet either, if you want to wait until he is older, which our vet does recommend to wait until the male is between 12 to 18 months of age.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Bully Bootie Duty
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone. He is supposed to be at my vets on Friday morning between 830 and 930. I am going to contact some other people I know and already have written a breeder I know who is very helpful. anyways Thanks everyone for the support oo and David I do give him yogurt every day.. Sometimes 2 x a day actually. Thanks Hero

Dog Groomer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)

Demodex - Zelda had it. Our vet went the dip route. The price you were quoted seems quite reasonable. Ivermectin works too. Going through puberty will often bring it on. That's a big stress on the dog and that contributes to bringing it on a lot. That's probably why the vet mentioned getting him fixed.

The first thing you have to do if ind out if it's considered just a spot or two or if it's generalized. If it's just a spot many folks will wait and see igf it clears up by itself - it often will If it's considered generalized, it needs to be treated.

I can not stress this enough - RESPONSIBLE BREEDERS DO NOT BREED DOGS WHO HAVE HAD GENERALIZED DEMODEX!! The weak immune system that allows it to flair and generalize is an inherited characteristic. If you breed a dog that has had Generalized Demo you create more dogs that will have Generalized Demo. If we ever want to have EBs considered anything resembling healthy we've got to stop breeding and accepting unhealthy one. "It's just one of those things EBs have" will never go away if we don't make it go away. End of sermon.

Bully Bootie Duty
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone. Buddy had his first dip. The next day he was scratching his face again.. I already received an email where that claim has been sent out. Trupanion only pays for the $45.00 Miltaban. not the pre- bath so after reading all I can find on this I am calling the vet tomorrow to see if we can try something topical and oral.. I hate taking him there for the day knowing it might not even work. Anyways Thanks everyone for the help and support.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

oh i so hope your baby gets better soon. i think some people do some immune boosting to help get rid of the mange. maybe adding a probiotic and i know some have used neem oil to help clear it up also.

Bully Bootie Duty
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

I do give him pro biotics. and Thanks Cowsmom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads