Help Needed! Cone?

SuggieMama

Aug 5, 2012
fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hi all. Tank is being neutered today and they told me they suggest a collar after surgery so he can't get to his parts. Now he cannot reach his parts to groom himself as it is. So to cone or not to cone? Can some please share ur experience w your dogs, I'd really appreciate it.... Thanks

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I didnt cone my boys after being neutered because of that same thing. They couldn't reach so why bother. So long as you can keep him calm and watch him I would think he should be fine without one.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We have never coned ours after a spaying or neutering.

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
I got the cone for Herschel just in case but like all the other responses... he couldn't reach the site nor did he try. I just watched him to make sure he didn't do a sit and spin or anything like that lol.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon didn't wear a cone either, we just needed to stop him from jumping up on the couch and going up and down stairs. Let's just say I was getting quite a work out carrying 55 lbs of squirming bully up and down the stairs several times a night

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus had to wear it throughout the day for almost 1 week or so :( He had another procedure on his private along with the neutur so that was the only thing that kept him calm. He was supposed to be crated and I felt bad leaving him in a crate all day while we were home :( It was hard.

With just the neutur I wouldnt think you would need it at all since our bullies cant really get to it :lol:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I don't see why you should make him so uncomfortable for no reason. After Usko had his bladder surgery we didn't cone him just for the reason that he couldn't reach his wound anyway.

OP
SuggieMama

SuggieMama

Aug 5, 2012
fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Do they send pain meds or is there anything I can give him for pain. I want this to be as painless as possible, but I know some vets don't give take home pain meds....:/

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I definitely used a cone when I wasn't home, if I was able to watch him I didn't. I bought one of the comfy cones though, I didn't make him wear the hard plastic one the vet gave me.

Daizy and Dukes mom

Nov 28, 2011
Mansfield, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Daizy & Duke
No cone for my guys neither. Can't reach...lol. You would think your vet would know this. I have yet to see a bully that can reach...lol, Daizy's got a long tongue and she couldn't reach if she tried. Your vet should go over all of this with you. Is it a bully vet?

OP
SuggieMama

SuggieMama

Aug 5, 2012
fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It was a technician I spoke with due to certain circumstances (being currently on disablity) I went through the low cost spay neuter program. Please don't judge me,it's just what We decided since I felt we needed to get it done now due to raging hormones.i did ask and they use isoflurane and was told they take extra precautions w English bulldogs and they get extra care due to their breed. I'm already a nervous wreck and he's due for pick up at 3pm. Anyone get pain meds after their dogs surgery?

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
It was a technician I spoke with due to certain circumstances (being currently on disablity) I went through the low cost spay neuter program. Please don't judge me,it's just what We decided since I felt we needed to get it done now due to raging hormones.i did ask and they use isoflurane and was told they take extra precautions w English bulldogs and they get extra care due to their breed. I'm already a nervous wreck and he's due for pick up at 3pm. Anyone get pain meds after their dogs surgery?

Yes they gave us enough pain meds for Bacon to last two or three days after the surgery. I don't remember what it was but he got one in the morning and one at night. When he was done with the meds he didn't seem in any sort of pain either.

OP
SuggieMama

SuggieMama

Aug 5, 2012
fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Well I just called my regular vet and they said if the other dr doesn't give him any pain meds. That they will prescribe tank some. I don't want my baby to hurt! :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.