Vomiting Issue - Please Help!

BullyB

Sep 23, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Bunker
Our english bulldog, Bruno, is almost 11 months old. Since we first got him at 10 weeks, he vomits quite often (more frequently if he is active/excited). He vomits anything from foam to water to his entire meal. We went to the vet concerned about an elongated soft palate, but the vet said that he wasn't making the sounds commonly associated with an elongated soft palate. The vet recommended to try a change in diet. We started him on Nutro Lamb and Rice three weeks ago this Sunday. His appetite has been much better, and he hasn't thrown up a meal since. Here's the wierd part. About 4 days after we started him on this diet, in the middle of the night, always between 3:30am and 6:00am, he wakes up and does the reverse sneeze, always bringing up very digested food, and some occasional foam. He is fine after that, and goes back to sleep. He has done this every night (starting 4 days after the diet change) during the same time window except for one. Anyone have any ideas here? He is a happy, playful dog. Is relatively fine all day long, just this wierd middle of the night reverse sneeze thing. Any help is appreciated!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
It sounds like the food is giving him some reflux. I am no expert but this sounds very familiar to what my girl did after a foos change. one we got off that food she was fine.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He may require a sensitive stomach or higher grade food. It seems like we have a few bullies with sensitive stomachs, I know Jesse had sensitive digestive system, and when I switched to Fromm her digestive problems stopped completely.

Check out the link to the dog food ratings, to help you decide which food to switch to. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/DogFoodAnalysis.html

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He may require a sensitive stomach or higher grade food. It seems like we have a few bullies with sensitive stomachs, I know Jesse had sensitive digestive system, and when I switched to Fromm her digestive problems stopped completely.

Check out the link to the dog food ratings, to help you decide which food to switch to. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/DogFoodAnalysis.html

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Hmmm I can't think of anything else to suggest other than what has already been said, try switching the food. Nutro is not a terrible food but not very good either. I would suggest trying something different, we all have a different favorite food but mine is Fromm Surf & Turf and Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Fish. I hope Bruno gets better soon!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Maggie used to get congested at night and throw up phlegm ... sometimes with or without digested food. The phlegm seemed like a clear foamy mucus. Since changing her on to a better food this has not happened once. However, October is coming and this has been one of those times when the congestion usually gets bad. So we are hoping that the change of food to FROMM is going to settle her stomach and help with these allergies!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree it sounds like reflux. Cutty had a reaction to california naturals herring food i think it was. He would spit up out of nowhere and usually in the middle of the night actually. No warning or anything and it wasnt biol or throw up so much as regurgitated food. Something in the food caused a reaction to him and we switched and never had that problem again. It could just be something in the food that is creating this reaction maybe? Could be wrong but it would be my first thing to try switching to a better food.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas has mega esophagus....brought on by his epilepsy. Since his diagnosis, we've been given him 10 mg of the acid reducer, famotidine (AKA Pepcid) Talk to your vet about trying this. It may help.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
It could also be from eating too much food too fast. He could be getting a lot of air also. Try putting a huge rock or something in the bowl....to slow down the eating. Also try feeding smaller amount of food more often. Instead of 2 times, divide the food into 3 or 4 portions....same total amount of food, just smaller portions. If this does the trick, you can get a special bowl or they also sell heavy porcelan balls that go in the food dish...it makes your dog slow down instead of gobbling down all at once. This worked wonders for Bertie!

OP
BullyB

BullyB

Sep 23, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Bunker
Thanks everyone! We started Bruno on Fromm's Salmon and Veggies on Sunday. All looking good so far!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Thanks everyone! We started Bruno on Fromm's Salmon and Veggies on Sunday. All looking good so far!

We've had Maggie on the FROMM Salmon n' Veggie one for a few weeks now ... and she's like a different dog!! :bully:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.