URGENT!!! Emma swallowed a toy

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Damn Jeannie... this is not a good couple of days for the kids..... I hope it passes --- fingers crossed

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh dear, don't worry too much though, I've had a couple of incidences with Dozer swallowing stuff, back in August he swallowed a Chinese food honey garlic bone that my husband put down for a second, he coughed a little bit, but he seemed fine after that, the next morning, he threw up a little, so I didn't feed him in case there was an obstruction somewhere, and I took him to the vet, she did a X-ray which she said would show it because it was a bone, she didn't find anything, and said dogs stomach acid is different from ours and probably would break it down, or he would pass it. She told me to watch for trouble pooping, or for vomiting as these are signs of an obstruction , just keep an eye on him for these signs , and if you see any sign of trouble , take him to the vet. The other thing you can do is go to your vet and buy a fibre dog food, and feed it to him for 3 or 4 days, a Tbsp or 2 every hour. I had to do this to Dozer 2 weeks ago, because after he had his neuter surgery, they placed him in recovery, and 5 mins later they checked on him and he had ripped off his gauze and bandage and swallowed it. When I got there all the vet could say to me was Dozer Dozer Dozer, lol. She told me to give him the fibre food to push the bandage down through his intestines, and again to watch for trouble pooping, or vomiting, as this would mean an obstruction. We feed that food for 4 days, he got really mushy poops, and went to the bathroom a lot. Nothing happened, but he was eating, and pooping normally. By the way that gauze and bandage were about 12 inches long, they were wrapped around his IV site. After a week, I came home from work, it was getting dark outside, and I took him out for his duties, he started circling around the yard, but wasn't pooping, he usually poops right away when he goes out. He also seemed to be having a problem going to the washroom, so I knew he was passing something. He finally went, and lol it was very long. I couldn't see in the dark, so I scooped it up in the poop bag and brought it inside for examination, lo and behold it was his poop wrapped around a loooooong piece of cotton gauze. He had passed it finally. The gauze is kind of like the material yours ate, and he will probably pass it, so don't worry too much. I know hard not to do, but if you are worried call the vet tomorrow and see what they say. Good luck, and hopefully it passes ok. Keep us posted.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Jake safely passed half of a queen size chenille pillow sham, including ties. But it
took about 5 days. And there was the 6 inch long stuffed mouse. It took 6 days.

Wow just wow! That is impressive!

Poor Jeannie! I feel for you, Samson had surgery to remove a toy he swallowed so I too get real anxious dealing with this stuff but I really think she'll pass this or throw it up on her own. For 5 days we tried to get Samson to pass that toy, my vet told me feed Samson more and walk him more so he'd poop more. Turns out the toy was too big to pass (boggles my mind he could even swallow) anyway so of course it didn't work to pass it but it sure made him poop more!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I've heard that asparagus can help protect the stomach. It sort binds around the foreign objest and hekpls to pass it. It could be worth a try. Sending positive thoughts.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow just wow! That is impressive!

Poor Jeannie! I feel for you, Samson had surgery to remove a toy he swallowed so I too get real anxious dealing with this stuff but I really think she'll pass this or throw it up on her own. For 5 days we tried to get Samson to pass that toy, my vet told me feed Samson more and walk him more so he'd poop more. Turns out the toy was too big to pass (boggles my mind he could even swallow) anyway so of course it didn't work to pass it but it sure made him poop more!

Well, my hubby wasn't too impressed as he pooped out strings on his walk. In Public! :cursing:

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
:eek: Is that the toy I gave her?? that witch?? (the toy, i mean). I hope she will be okay. Maybe she didn't swallow it and the piece fell somewhere. Just keep an eye out for any unusual behavior from her part. I'm hoping it'll pass and you'll see it in her morning :poo: !
:secret: It was the :halloween1:. I had just taken a picture of her chewing on it and Jack and Wilson enjoying the others and was going to text you when she decided to eat it.

79C8B001-0E81-4A24-A575-2F18487B20F9-347-000000F1731EE495.jpg

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], thank you for that tip on the peroxide, I didn't know that.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
It took 3 days for Vegas to puke up one of my gloves. I had no idea he had even ate it, I knew it went missing. :eek:

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Thanks again everyone, love ya all! I'll keep an eye on her. Like I said my old dog that passed, Ace, was famous for this, especially with tennis and basketball pieces. He's pass big chunks of each days and sometimes weeks later. I'll give her a minimum amount of food this morning and watch her. Luckily I have the cameras so I can peak in on her often.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Jake safely passed half of a queen size chenille pillow sham, including ties. But it took about 5 days. And there was the 6 inch long stuffed mouse. It took 6 days.

OMG! Jake's intestinal tract must be as clean as a whistle now huh? I don't know how you got thru that without having some kind of break down.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Dang! and after that wonderful weekend you just had. I think Miss "escape artist" Emma will be fine, but of course you won't stop worrying until it shows itself :yes: Before I joined EBN I never heard these stories except from a barmaid at our local restaurant who has this enormous EB called "Brutus". Everytime we see her she has another story worst than the one before. Last one was, Brutus ate a whole box of dryer sheets....... Dublin with her pencil size trachea is lucky to be able to swallow her kibble.....:pouting:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Checking for any update on Emma :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hope Emma is doing well! Just checking in to see how things are? :hug:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.