General Question Anyone have a favorite Supplement for Hip displasia?

bettybulldog

Oct 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
betty
My baby was diagnosed at 6months when I had her spayed. its not bad, but I noticed at times she has a limp but it doesnt stop her from anything
but I dont want it to get worse and I heard it does often with bullys..
do treats with Glucosamine.chrondrotin sp? have enough as supplements-pills?
Im currently giving her The treats "Happy Hips" salmon strips.. there mostly natural and
have 2000 mg of glucosamine/ 1000 chronditin.. along with the other stuff.
just wondering if I should be giving her pills instead

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: does her hips pop at all Franklin's hip pops when he walks an he limps when he wakes up I give him cosequin ds plus msm he's only taken it for 6 weeks so far an that's how long it takes to start really working so I don't know yet to really see a difference but ill let you know if I do

OP
B

bettybulldog

Oct 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
betty
no she doesnt have popping.. Oh that give me the chills it sounds painful.. See that is why IM asking.. the people at petco/petscmart Swear by cosesquin ds and its expensive but if its
truly the best then its worth it.. thats why IM asking if they get the same benefit from the treats for hips..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can just use a regular Glucosamine chrondrotin vitamin that you would use for yourself... Check the label on the Dogswell Happy Hips make sure they are not made in china as they are a type of chicken jerky which many were recalled due to causing death.

Also, Nu-vet is a supplement that many members use here is a thread on it

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...lements-medicines/19192-nuvet-supplement.html

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
So sorry to hear the news. The age and when you discovered the issue is super helpful - (I was walking Remi yesterday and could have sworn he had some kind of weird strut happening, but I thought maybe his feet were sore) the cool thing is you are catching it now, and maybe she can have a totally normal life with the right meds. Right?? :pray:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You can give them the human version of the glucosamine chondritin tablets but make sure you get them with the MSM. Having all 3 of these things in give the best benefits. If you are unsure of using human supplements then I can recommend 100% using the Dasiquin tablets. I started Bella on these forger luxating patellas and noticed an improvement in a couple of weeks.

OP
B

bettybulldog

Oct 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
betty
You can just use a regular Glucosamine chrondrotin vitamin that you would use for yourself... Check the label on the Dogswell Happy Hips make sure they are not made in china as they are a type of chicken jerky which many were recalled due to causing death.

Also, Nu-vet is a supplement that many members use here is a thread on it

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...lements-medicines/19192-nuvet-supplement.html

Holy Moly That is a serious Recall. I bought them from Petsmart anouy 2-3 months ago they were so high in everything and my dog loves them I bought a few packets .. but the Salmon
I called Petsmart and they werent aware of anything.. do you know when about this was.. this is scary thank you for the great info..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Holy Moly That is a serious Recall. I bought them from Petsmart anouy 2-3 months ago they were so high in everything and my dog loves them I bought a few packets .. but the Salmon
I called Petsmart and they werent aware of anything.. do you know when about this was.. this is scary thank you for the great info..

The recalls were posted on here by a couple of members... I think it was [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] -- I will search the site an see if I can find them

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

Yes! Those are part of the recall. Give NO jerkey treats at all! My vet says stay away from all meat jerkey. It's deadly.

Most Reactions