Help Needed! Bella's fur on top of her head!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Our foster bully, Bella, has what I can only describe as "dented" fur on top of her head. The skin feels a little bumpy underneath but it's not red or itchy!!

It's only on her head - the rest of her body is totally fine.

If you stroke the fur the wrong way it looks even worse. And I can pull clumps of hair out.

We did recently switch from Fromm grain free to Fromm salmon. But she came into rescue on the crappiest food so I would have thought if she had food allergies then they would already be evident. Unless she's allergic to salmon???

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350226141.594222.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350226185.947248.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350226213.732710.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have to say a vet visit is in your future.... looks to be staph infection. Nitschke was very prone to these and antibiotics very strong and long doses is what gets it out of the system

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have no idea and have never had this with Vegas, could it be the start of mange?

Lolita

Jun 16, 2010
Laval, Qc, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Destiny and Maximus
That is how my lola started our nightmare she's doing a bit better now, I suggest you to go see a dermatologist if she gets it all over, it's a bacteria and not easy to treat I thought I could make go away on my own and also with Nzymes but two months later the problem is still there getting better and then worst, just last Friday I took her to see a dermatologist had some expensive tests right there and saw that she has a yeast infection and also an Otitis my poor baby is doing bad. It is a lotttt of money but have no ther choice, sorry to scare you, good luck. Ahhh try to apply Ketoconazol and Canisten on them

Last edited:

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Debo has that too!?

Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
That's the staph infection my Jack gets, he had it bad earlier the end of summer, mega doses of antibiotics and Pyoben Shampoo. It's just something he gets once a year that gets out of control if not kept in check It can spread like wild fire in a matter of days if the scabs are not dried up immediately. The Pyoben works very fast at drying this out. Secret is to check every couple of days the entire body, under pits and sides of belly too. My vet say's the older they get, they worse this will become with each seasonal flair. Keep it in check

Lolita

Jun 16, 2010
Laval, Qc, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Destiny and Maximus
That's the staph infection my Jack gets, he had it bad earlier the end of summer, mega doses of antibiotics and Pyoben Shampoo. It's just something he gets once a year that gets out of control if not kept in check It can spread like wild fire in a matter of days if the scabs are not dried up immediately. The Pyoben works very fast at drying this out. Secret is to check every couple of days the entire body, under pits and sides of belly too. My vet say's the older they get, they worse this will become with each seasonal flair. Keep it in check

:2thumbs:

gigi366

Jan 3, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Leiny and Tank
I am having a similar issue with my American Bulldog. Did you find what was causing your issues? Were you able to find something that helped?

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: Franklin can't handle salmon it makes him have really bad tear stains an gives him a yeasty body he gets it on his back by his shoulder blades apple cider vinegar works great for me I give it to them in their water everyday an I soak baby wipes in it an wash his tear stains with it. It works really well for yeast

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I am having a similar issue with my American Bulldog. Did you find what was causing your issues? Were you able to find something that helped?

It was what I suspected, and was also confirmed at the vets. It was an allergy ... it started when I moved over from the fromm beef frittata to the Fromm Salmon n Veg. So I am guessing she has a salmon allergy!! Bella is back on the beef and the bumps have gone and the hair is starting to grow back. So we're going to be staying away from Salmon for her from now on!!

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I am so glad it was something that simple to correct, and not any of the other things! Get better soon, Bella. :)

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I am so glad it was something that simple to correct, and not any of the other things! Get better soon, Bella. :)

I was going to say the same thing

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My Blossom is allergic to chicken , corn, grains and salmon too, we had switched to Fromms Beef, and then I started adding salmon oil to their food, and Blossom had a bad reaction, itchy skin, red eyes, skin, ears, and chin acne. I stopped the salmon oil, and gave her Benadryl and she is now okay

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.